Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the reloaders. Do you shoot lead cast bullets. What is some of the best lead remover. Im using hoppes #9 solvent and a bristle brush right now. And it dosent seem to be doing a good job. Just wondering if there is something on the market that would get the lead out. What are all of you using to get the job done. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
The Chore Boy copper scrubbee works well for me. Alternatively, a ball of medium steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag does the job.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Other bullets. ie FMJ loads fired mixed in with cast bullets.

Btw, I NEVER fire cast lead out of any glock. Glock advises against it, and with good reason, it seems.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
been using a lewis lead remover for many mango seasons. the system works well and is easy to use.

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
Another vote for Chore Boy but make sure you get that brand as other copper scrubbers may be "copper clad." A small piece wrapped around bore brush will scrub it right out.

Now you need to see why you're getting leading. I shoot lead in all my handguns, Glock included with little or no leading. What gun and loads are you using?

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
I cast and shoot lead almost exclusively. Because I do shoot lead, my hand loads tend to be light. For my semi reloads, I load hot enough to ensure the pistol will cycle. My cleaning regime is very simple. 1) using a DRY brass brush I run that through the barrel 3 or four time. 2) I take a DRY patch and run that down a couple of times 3) using a barrel mop soaked in Hoppe's I wet the inside of the barrel and let that sit for a couple of minutes. 4) I finish with a few dry patches, usually 2 or 3, until they come out clean, then I finish with a last patch with a bit of gun oil. This whole process talks only a few minutes and my guns come out very clean and I have no leading issues. good luck

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another vote for Chore Boy but make sure you get that brand as other copper scrubbers may be "copper clad." A small piece wrapped around bore brush will scrub it right out.

Now you need to see why you're getting leading. I shoot lead in all my handguns, Glock included with little or no leading. What gun and loads are you using?
Thanks for all the replies. Ill try some out. Im using 125 gr lead round nose bullets from Indiana bullet co. Cci small pistol primers and 3.5 grains hodgdons tite group powder. Out of a S&W m&p 9mm compact. This combo is the most accurate out of my gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts