Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out! If it's authentic it's a memo from ATF recommending backing off the last opinion letters on the Sig-type braces. They say that nowhere else has changing the use of an item altered what it fundamentally is, and therefore a legal brace is legal no matter how it's used. If that wasn't good enough, they also note that opinions have changed over the years on suppressors, noting that 42 states have approved them for sporting use. They mention that the current tax stamp process is too long and damaging to the industry. They basically all but recommend removing them from the NFA!:image035:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha! Well, obviously this isn't something that the ATF can change unilaterally (the $200 tax and the contents of the registry). They could change the way they interpret and enforce the braces tomorrow if they want. But taking cans off "the list" would have to be done by Congress as I understand it (but I could be wrong about that). The new administration could prod them but not change it. Still, this shows a seismic shift in the way they view things, hopefully moving from a stance that's antagonizing gun owners and the firearms industry to more of a partnership. That would be a big deal.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know if it's reality or hopes and dreams, but I'd like to see them take SBR and AOW off the list of forbidden fruit. I don't have a use for any of that stuff, but that's never stopped me from impulse buys before.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that would be awesome. Those things never had any real reason to be banned/regulated IMO. But PR-wise I'm not sure people are clamoring to see them de-listed. I would absolutely get a few SBRs immediately if there was no additional regulator hurdle or tax! I would definitely set up an SBR as my primary HD gun if I could.

·
Registered
323 Posts
a good short barreled rifle would be the perfect home defense tool. and having a can on it would help save your hearing.

even at the target range using cans, would go a very long ways to help reduce complaints from those liberals that wanted to buy a house next door to the range.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Looks like the ATF knows the current administration is going to be looking for things to chop, and they're trying to get out ahead of it.

Where's the other shoe, waiting to drop? They aren't being nice just to be nice. No agency wants to see its domain shrunk.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I am just wondering if they will return the $200 fine that everyone has been forced to pay in order to own a suppressor???
I remember reading somewhere where if you have a check and application in now, waiting, that it will be returned should they OK things.
I keep hoping they hurry along. My .22 can should be approved in a month or so.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We can certainly hope that there are changes going to be made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts