Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never would have thought of actually.

I saw a discussion in the archives about carrying a valuable, antique, rare, historic or sentimental value handgun..
NEVER thought about the fact that if [God forbid] a person was forced to use such a gun to defend his life,loved ones, or property, it would be taken into evidence and possibly might never be returned.. So I guess the guideline is, carry something thats readily replaced, and leave the "good stuff" at home in the safe... Never thought about such a thing, but its really good advice. bob

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I saw that happen to a good friend of mine. It was seized by the police.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
It's worth considering for sure. The majority of my carry guns either retail for under $600, or are used/police trade guns that were cheap and easy to replace at the same price should something happen.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth considering for sure. The majority of my carry guns either retail for under $600, or are used/police trade guns that were cheap and easy to replace at the same price should something happen.
Its just something I never considered at all from a gun owners standpoint.

I have been a performing musician much of my life.Guitarist.. I had a collection of rare old electric guitars from the 60's, but after a while I realized that one bad trip off a guitar stand could turn my $5000 1965 Gibson SG or1967 ES 335 into junk with a snapped off headstock.. stopped using the old stuff and used modern guitars that I could replace easily.. Never considered it for gun owners however... bob

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
A retired coworker was ordered "throw the gun away !! " his prized 1911 , some one broke into his garage late at night , his wife called 911 , he waited inside his home with his 1911 in hand , when he heard the Leo arrive he walked out into his garage , totally forgetting he was armed , he tried to explain he was the caller/home owner , he tried to set the gun down gently , he was ordered a second time , he did as he was told , he said it made him sick hearing his gun hit the floor ,

Reactions: maxwell97

·
Registered
679 Posts
That's why they invented Glocks, actually.
I would agree... except for the fact that my wife says, "Even bad guys deserve to be shot with a pretty gun."

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I would agree... except for the fact that my wife says, "Even bad guys deserve to be shot with a pretty gun."
Or at least not a dirty gun!

Reactions: Sarge65

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Yep, it wouldn't be pretty tuff to loose a $ 3000 gun, but you do want a pistol you trust your life with.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The City I Retiered from used to keep thier confiscated guns all piled in a box. No bags, nothing. Just tagged and tossed in the box. Made me want to cry.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
One of a few reasons I don't think I'll ever justify spending over a grand on an EDC.

If I feel the urge to carry something like say, my grandfather's Blackhawk, it'll be on a hunt or property walk. Not during a short run into town, let alone a trip into the city.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think you should carry the gun you shoot the best and will be most effective in protecting your life.

And not worry about the price.

People ask how you would feel if a $3000 gun was taken as evidence after you used it in self defense.

Well, how would you feel if you got shot and landed in the ICU because you used a second rate defense gun?

In a shooting my top priority is coming out alive, not how expense a gun I lost to the evidence locker.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm agreeing with Brad (post #2). I bought my first GLOCK (G19) as a "beater" to keep in my truck door-pocket, tackle box and/or on the houseboat. Figured it was as disposable as a Bic lighter compared to more finely-finished 1911 variants, S&W K-frames & BHPs. Little did I know that I'd actually end up...LIKING IT! :blink:

·
Registered
800 Posts
It also points out the need to have a second (at the very least) gun - ideally a clone of your EDC. Especially in places that have an enforced waiting period. There's a not insignificant chance that, after a successful self defense, you may be at greater risk of retaliation from the perpetrators family, friends or criminal cohorts.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
SO folks: I have two G42's for the above reasons, but only one Bersa (my other carry gun). Does that give me an excuse to buy another Bersa? (I HOPE Gramps doesn't read this!)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I think you should carry the gun you shoot the best and will be most effective in protecting your life.

And not worry about the price.

People ask how you would feel if a $3000 gun was taken as evidence after you used it in self defense.

Well, how would you feel if you got shot and landed in the ICU because you used a second rate defense gun?

In a shooting my top priority is coming out alive, not how expense a gun I lost to the evidence locker.

Reliable doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts