Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Yep go get another one.....too many is a myth lol
Actually, if the components (parts) were a better quality I'd probably have a second one already. It has been totally reliable and quite accurate, but it pains me to look at the parts every time I field strip it to clean it. The other "slight" problem is that I can't remove the slide because it is really tricky, and I also can't put the recoil spring back in after I clean it. It's a BP model.

Need Gramps to help with those things - and I don't have a spare Gramps in case I lose the one I have! :scratchchin:

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
People ask how you would feel if a $3000 gun was taken as evidence after you used it in self defense.

Well, how would you feel if you got shot and landed in the ICU because you used a second rate defense gun?

In a shooting my top priority is coming out alive, not how expense a gun I lost to the evidence locker.
This is true, but then, there are $600 guns that are hardly second-rate. I have trouble picturing a scenario where a guy with a Glock gets shot, and would not have if he'd had a $3,000 custom whatever.

flh brings up a good point too. Encountering a cop while holding the gun is a possibility, and it's better if one has no hesitation in dropping it if ordered to. If they say drop it, they mean drop it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Cannt even imagine owning a $3000 firearm, unless it is great-grandpaps POS Patterson colt that nobody in the family wanted to fix for 110 years....and not for nothing $1000 just isn't that much money anymore....carry what you can, and don't look back, or tell

·
Registered
205 Posts
If I were the proud owner of a cherry '57 Chevy, '59 Caddy, or '65 Mustang, I wouldn't be commuting to work in it!

However...if a weapon's monetary value is based upon it's reliability and performance rather than its rarity or silly cosmetic frills, carry it as long as you can stand losing it as described above.

Fortunately, there are many moderately-priced weapons that can perfectly serve that purpose.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You can't put a price tag on your life. If a $3000 gun saves your life I'd say it's worth the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's assuming of course that somewhere in that $3000 price tag was some "thing" that made that particular pistol either more reliable, more accurate, or more effective enough over a less expensive gun to actually make a difference in the outcome.

Coming from a guy that used to carry a Les Baer, the odds are it won't happen. If you break it down into the components:

Effectiveness: It's a wash, high end and low end guns come in the same calibers
Reliability: I'd say that if you chose a modern semi from a decent maker (or revolver IF you're one of THOSE guys), again it's a wash. I've got plastic $500 guns that are just as reliable as my Baer's that cost over 2K per.
Accuracy: Here the high end gun "should" have an edge, but the odds are that delta in accuracy won't be needed so again it's moot except for an extreme set of circumstances.

If someone wants to carry a 3K pistol that's cool more power to them, but the idea that they're someone "better" protected than some guy with a $500 pistol is probably an illusion.

Chuck

·
Registered
707 Posts
The City I Retiered from used to keep thier confiscated guns all piled in a box. No bags, nothing. Just tagged and tossed in the box. Made me want to cry.[/

Years ago I knew the cop that was in charge of the Cleve. property room. He used to relate to me all the gems that used to go through that room on their way to the lake or the blast furnace. It's a shame that they wouldn't offer them to collectors and enthusiasts. They could have increased the coffers and saved some unique and valuable firearms and knives.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Buy what you want to carry and train with it. I have a nice 1911 and a nice revolver. As much as I like them their job is save my or my family/loved ones life. If I have to draw and shoot someone in self-defense, they have done their job. If they get confiscated and I don't get them back I won't be happy but me and/or my loved ones will still be alive. I don't have a $3000 gun but to get honest I can't afford to buy a gun that I can't shoot and carry. Besides, we have to assess what the role of a purchased firearm is and accept the risk that comes with that role.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The City I Retiered from used to keep thier confiscated guns all piled in a box. No bags, nothing. Just tagged and tossed in the box. Made me want to cry.[/

Years ago I knew the cop that was in charge of the Cleve. property room. He used to relate to me all the gems that used to go through that room on their way to the lake or the blast furnace. It's a shame that they wouldn't offer them to collectors and enthusiasts. They could have increased the coffers and saved some unique and valuable firearms and knives.
Good point... Let good reliable auctions or dealers sell these valuable items for a percentage, and make good use of the proceeds.. Melting them down makes NO sense at all... bob

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think you should carry the gun you shoot the best and will be most effective in protecting your life.

And not worry about the price.

People ask how you would feel if a $3000 gun was taken as evidence after you used it in self defense.

Well, how would you feel if you got shot and landed in the ICU because you used a second rate defense gun?

In a shooting my top priority is coming out alive, not how expense a gun I lost to the evidence locker.
High price does not guarantee high performance.

At the same time, going bargain-basement or bottom-dollar isn't usually the way to keep everything intact either.

If you shiver in apprehension at the idea of your gun falling to the ground on the range and getting scratched up, it's probably best not to carry it. If you can't handle the idea of it being kept in an evidence locker for weeks or months until you get it back (I assume that most of those cleared do eventually get theirs back, but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Probably depends on the area.), best to to get another one to carry.

Don't put you're life behind a gun you're afraid to get scratched up. Please.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
That's why a defensive handgun is simply a tool to me that can be replaced if necessary. I have a couple of vintage collectible Colts that I would never carry for that very reason. The same applies to long guns. I have a beautiful English straight stock SxS Browning BSS 20 ga that I would probably never use for HD however that is why I have a well used 40 yr old Winchester Mod 1200 20 ga to fill a HD role if needed. Just my .02 worth!

·
Banned
894 Posts
If you have to use a gun for self defense, it is a life or death situation by definition. A $3000 gun is still a tool that can be replaced. If you use it and are still alive, it is money well spent. If you lose, you probably wont complain. If a cop ignores the unique serial number and scratches his name into it, it's just a bragging point.

Reactions: WC145

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I do agree with "cheaper" if something happens and the cops take the weapon. BUT then the old adage pops out "what is your life worth?"
So...sometimes it's a tough choice.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Guns are disposable, if it gets taken, but you survived through it's use, it's served it's purpose.

What's your life worth? If my $3K 1911 gets put in lockup, but it saved my butt, I won't be too concerned over something that can be replaced or refinished after it's returned [ if damaged while in evidence ].

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I carry 1911s and most of the 1911s I own are on the pricier end of the spectrum. They are the guns I prefer to own, shoot, and carry. I use them in competition, for concealed carry, whatever I need a pistol for. Now, I'm not an idiot, I don't carry irreplaceable pistols and I don't intentionally subject nice guns to abuse. My King's custom '48 Colt spends most of it's life in the safe, and I bought a cosmetically challenged PD trade-in Springfield Champion to wear when I'm working around the property and taking care of the animals. But, my TRP, Baer, Browns, and most of my customs are guns that were bought or built to be carried and used, with the understanding that should I ever have to use one the possibility exists that it would be taken for evidence for some amount of time. That is a risk I'm willing to take to carry the guns I like and trust, the same as someone with an expensive car or truck is willing to take the risk of it get scratched or dented every time they drive it or park it at the grocery or wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, the decision is made so I don't fret over the chance that my $2000, $3000, or whatever dollar pistol might be lost for a time and that it might not be the same when I get it back. If I'm involved in a shooting and survive it, chances are I'm not going to be the same either.

Reactions: niks and AzQkr
21 - 34 of 34 Posts