Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in the market for a new belt. Any time I'm not in uniform I wear a leather belt (seems to go better with how I dress).

For those that have had a leather belt specifically designed for CC and a Wilderness Instructor belt, which do you prefer?

Thanks!
Clay

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I tend to find these types of belts a little more comfortable than their leather counterparts. They are also extremely durable, and do not scratch or show wear as much.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a High Noon leather belt and I like it. It is a good belt but, as with all leather belts, IMO, they aren't as infinitely adjustable as a web-type belt.

I have two cheap-o web belts that I use with my Remora holsters. They don't really have to support any weight and just help keep the Remora pressed against my body. I like them for that purpose as it gives me more adjustment options. I also use them for limited (very limited!) use with a small single-clip leather holster from time-to-time. Yes, I know that is generally frowned upon :frown: but I do it.

So I recently ordered a Galco instructor web belt. Hasn't arrived just yet, but I expect it to be the best of both worlds. Infinitely adjustable and with the re-enforced construction I can confidently carry a larger gun and holster w/clips. Leather for dress -- web for the rest!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Slight preference for leather, especially with a leather holster. With the Kydex holsters, I use the Wilderness. In between the two what I wear most these days, which is a 5.11 gun belt with internal stiffener.

I like the adjustability of the Wilderness, but I like the contour cut of the leather gun belt. Does anyone even make belts that way any more?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I use both interchangeably. I do prefer the Wilderness with my IWB (Supertuck) as the clips mar the leather.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have both and wear the Wilderness belt almost exclusively. It's easier to adjust for comfort.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I like my Wilderness Belt better. I'm unsure if my Galco leather gun belt could work...as a tow strap to pull my truck out of the ditch!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Clay,
I don't have a Wilderness Belt, but as of late I have been wearing a Boxer Tactical belt, which is similar. I really like it, but it is not as stiff as my leather gun belts. It is better than any belt I have ever owned for small guns like my PF9. It works OK with my FNS9 IWB and an extra mag, but that is pushing the limit of how much weight this belt can withstand, and I think it would not be very good for something like a 1911. I think my next belt will be this type of belt with thy plastic insert. Over all I have been happy with the belt for the price paid.

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Call me old school if you wish but I prefer leather for both belts and holsters. May sound odd but the feel of leather has more of a personality to it no matter how much PETA shrieks and nylon just feels like another plastic.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I've got the 5.11 knock off nylon belt. It's OK, but it does not work as well as my leather Fatboy belt. I only wear the web belt when I'm hiking or fishing now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I prefer leather belts lookswise, and they are a bit more comfortable because they conform to your body when they break in. I do have an Ares Ranger and the extra adjustability is nice, plus it is actually stiffer than my beltman. In my opinion, as long as they are well made, both synthetic and leather belts have their place and their uses.

·
Registered
821 Posts
So I recently ordered a Galco instructor web belt. Hasn't arrived just yet, but I expect it to be the best of both worlds. Infinitely adjustable and with the re-enforced construction I can confidently carry a larger gun and holster w/clips. Leather for dress -- web for the rest!!!
Got my Galco web belt and stiff is an understatement! It is a reinforced model and also has Velcro on the end (tail) of the belt to stick the loose end to the belt after adjusting. Besides being infinitely adjustable, this sucker is S T I F F. I think it could stand on its own! :smile:

So far, I like it (wearing it right now). Comparison to my leather belt is like flip-flops to steel-toed work boots. Not as dressy but this belt is not all that thick (and is a 1.5" width) and really holds things tight. I like it and it will get a lot of use.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I've worn the Wilderness belt, as well as a couple other stiff nylon/web style belts. But I've only owned leather belts (Kramer duty belt, Beltman 1.5" and 1.25" dual-hide belts, and now a Armour Belts [Mike Bissell] unit).

My preference is for the feel, small amount of give, and the look of leather belts. IMO, the Kramer was too stiff for me. The BeltMan belts have held up well, though at ~6yrs of carrying IWB they are starting to show a bit more give than they did when new. A new belt from Armour Belts is on the way and I'll be evaluating it shortly.

For me, the Wilderness belt feels too unforgiving, by comparison, a bit too stiff for my tastes. And I don't prefer the look, overall. Works for many folks, though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So, I'm in the market for a new belt. Any time I'm not in uniform I wear a leather belt (seems to go better with how I dress).

For those that have had a leather belt specifically designed for CC and a Wilderness Instructor belt, which do you prefer?

Thanks!
Clay
With jeans I tend to use a leather belt with a nice buckle. When I wear cargo shorts or tactical pants, I use a rigger's belt (Blackhawk! CQB belt in black or coyote, or an Original SOE Cobra rigid gun belt) It really depends on what I'm wearing. Ya know, a gun belt for a man is like shoes for a woman.. hehe

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I use the 5.11 Operator belt. It has a stiffener imbedded between the layers of nylon & works as good or better than any leather gun belt I have. I like the infinitely adjustable feature. The Operator comes in 1 3/4 inch only so that can limit the choice of holters. Another 5.11 belt I have my eye on is the Double Duty TDU in 1 1/2". It claims "5 rows of stitching for stability" & it's reversible with green/black or black/coyote. For $20 I'll give it a try. It might be good for IWB if not for OWB.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I started with a Wilderness due to availability. When my first Beltman arrived I found I liked it better. I still use the Wilderness but usually for yard work.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I have both. I wear a Galco leather belt all the time with Levis, and I wear the Wilderness belt with 5.11 cargo pants and with cargo shorts. And since I'm retired, Levis and cargos/cargo shorts are what I wear on a daily basis. Weddings and funerals are the only times I wear anything else, and then I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster.:smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.