Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone still makes a leather holster with a flap/cover, like the style of the one in the pic? I mainly associate this type with WWI and Indiana Jones, although the one in the pic is from a 60's era Makarov.

Just curious as I could see this as being a decent style for hiking/camping.

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
I think any custom holster maker could craft one for you for just about any handgun. :yup:

They could still serve a useful purpose in the woods/camping/hiking...etc.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Like QKshooter said just about any custom leather shop should be able to make you one. Maybe try James Nelson

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, I'm sure anyone doing custom leather work could make one. I should've been more concise in my question:

Does anyone actually make a current production version of these? Not a custom job.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Flap holsters work when speed isn't prioritized, yet keeping trash (twigs, leaves, prying eyes) outta' your HOLSTER, along with keeping your handgun IN THERE, are the "must-haves". What handgun are you trying to carry in one? :blink:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Reactions: Renaldow

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flap holsters work when speed isn't prioritized, yet keeping trash (twigs, leaves, prying eyes) outta' your HOLSTER, along with keeping your handgun IN THERE, are the "must-haves". What handgun are you trying to carry in one? :blink:
I'm thinking of getting a used S&W Model 64 DAO with a bobbed hammer as a woods gun. I normally carry a small Taurus revolver in a pocket, but I've been thinking of upgrading, just because. When you step off a trail in the forests here, you can find yourself in as dense foliage as any jungle. It's not unusual to "wade" through waist high brush. Being in the rainy NW, it's also not uncommon to slog through miles of muddy ground, so slip & slides are an issue with carrying anything outside of a pocket or pouch. Hiking poles are common here. Not to mention getting rained on, which happens in the forests for at least a few minutes on and off each day, almost year round.

So I was considering covered holsters, and when I went to look for them, I couldn't really find any. There's a lot of OWB types that have great retention, but nothing I'm really seeing that provides full cover for the pistol. OR and WA encourage responsible citizens to arm themselves while recreating in the woods and mountains here, so I'm not concerned about someone seeing it. It would be unusual for anyone to see it anyway, as the point of going off trail (other than to see/find things no one else has, at least recently) is to get away from people. My main concern is a covered holster that provides retention and protection from the environment/elements.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I wish I would have had a full flap for my Model 28 when I backpacked in the Mt. Ranier/St. Helens area National Forest. I had a few rust spots when I got back.

Reactions: Renaldow

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I would have had a full flap for my Model 28 when I backpacked in the Mt. Ranier/St. Helens area National Forest. I had a few rust spots when I got back.
Exactly! People do a lot of pocket carry here (myself included) while hiking because there's a lot of risk to a pistol on your hip or tucked into a waistband. I've had friends and acquaintances who've damaged and even lost guns on hikes. If you make it back to the NW again, in addition to oil on the internals, a good wipe down with a silicon cloth on the outside can help prevent rust spots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts