Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question, this one hopefully a bit more...levelheaded, lol!

What do you do if you've been carrying that day, and you want to enter a premises that doesn't allow a weapon? For example, I volunteer at our local Boy Scout troop as an assistant scout master, but they don't allow weapons at all. I respect that, and knew that going into it, so to abide by their rules, I wish to leave my weapon in the car while I go to the meeting.

Last time I went, I left it in the glove box and remove the magazine, keeping that on me. I don't feel that the glove box or trunk are very secure options (I've had my car broken into some years back and both of those places were trashed), so I was curious as to what everyone here does in a situation like that.

·
Super Moderator
23,565 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
R&G - thanks. That is pretty nice. I bought a couple of maybe 12" square safes but never could bring myself (or find the space) to drill big holes in the floors of our vehicles to mount them. Given that anybody can steal anything given time and big tools, the safes you posted look good.
At least it's not like I left my gun in the glovebox so somebody stole it and then used it in a crime. I'm going to order a few....

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I use the same on as R&G, they work great. I use the large model so I can store a commander length 1911.

Ti.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
David III said:
R&G - thanks. That is pretty nice. I bought a couple of maybe 12" square safes but never could bring myself (or find the space) to drill big holes in the floors of our vehicles to mount them. Given that anybody can steal anything given time and big tools, the safes you posted look good.
At least it's not like I left my gun in the glovebox so somebody stole it and then used it in a crime. I'm going to order a few....
David III, If you do order a car safe or two order them from our missouricarry.com website, they are about the same price but just a little cheaper I think than the one R&G posted. I think that is the same supplier anyway.

Ti.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Car safes are a great way to go. One of the organizations that I belong to receintly changet their rules to exclude weapons. I will no longer support their ignorance with my presence.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i use a gun cable lock thru the seat structure.
i have one in every vehicle and the key is on a tether attached to the cable so it can't get lost.
when i need it i cable the gun up, remove the key to be with me, and off i go.

the spare (*second) key is in my toolbox at home should i lose key no. 1.
and BTW most, if not all, police stations will give you these cable locks for FREE.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A cheap, temporary solution

These show my current car solution, with the cable held on by strong u-bolts fastened inside. I will be getting one with a mechanical cypher lock as soon as I can afford it. Meanwhile I have the backup key always on my car's key set.

Usually this thing sets on the floorboard behind passenger seat, where it is handy. Holds two or three handguns.

Eight AAA alkalines once a year, never a failure, hundreds of cycles. I open it when I get in the car, so if the key is ever needed, hopefully it will occur just after leaving the Post Office, not in emergency conditions.

B.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I honestly dont worry about it very much. My G19 is often left in the truck with little worry. I worry more when I have a 1911 left in the truck, but I like my 1911s.

Most of the time if I'm going somewhere that CC isnt allowed, I just have my G19 in thetruck and nothing on my person. And normally, when I'm going somewhere CC isnt allowed, its a one-stop trip, like to the courthouse to pay property tax on something or to pay for a fast driving award certificate.

Angencyman, have you thought about or tired hardwiring that box to your truck? Eight AAs are 12 volts, but I dont know how it would react to the 14.x volts that most vehicles run at. Mine runs closer to 16 due to the frigging huge alternator.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Zach S said:
. And normally, when I'm going somewhere CC isnt allowed, its a one-stop trip, like to the courthouse to pay property tax on something or to pay for a fast driving award certificate.
:tongue: :tongue: Love it!

Angencyman, have you thought about or tired hardwiring that box to your truck? Eight AAs are 12 volts, but I dont know how it would react to the 14.x volts that most vehicles run at. Mine runs closer to 16 due to the frigging huge alternator.
If I were going to stay with that box, that would be a terrific mod., it even has a jack for the wall-wart P.S. I have promised myself that I WILL get a V-line or something like it with sequential mechanical lock, so as to not be dependent on electronics at all.

Thanks for the input though, cool idea.

B.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Rock and Glock said:
Here's how I lock my weapon in a vehicle:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_Product_Safe_Incar.htm

Not perfect, but it'll stop a casual theif, unlike a glove box or console. I have four of these, and always have two in each car.
Thanks for the link rock and glock! How long ago did you order and how long did they take to ship? Guess I can shoot them an email...

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
soonerjh said:
Thanks for the link rock and glock! How long ago did you order and how long did they take to ship? Guess I can shoot them an email...
I hadn't joined in on this previously because I did not yet have mine. I ordered two at about 5:30 PM last Thursday, June 1 and they came in today. They shipped on morning of June 2 via Priority Mail. That's not bad from Bloomington, MN to Alabama.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
dr_cmg said:
I hadn't joined in on this previously because I did not yet have mine. I ordered two at about 5:30 PM last Thursday, June 1 and they came in today. They shipped on morning of June 2 via Priority Mail. That's not bad from Bloomington, MN to Alabama.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna order one or two, just didn't want to order online and pay and everything, then find out they are slow or no longer in business (which has happened to me once, but it was an online store only).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I too use this type of cable lock box.

Rock and Glock said:
Here's how I lock my weapon in a vehicle:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_Product_Safe_Incar.htm

Not perfect, but it'll stop a casual theif, unlike a glove box or console. I have four of these, and always have two in each car.

BTW: Welcome!
I keep one in each car. They are very handy if you come upon a place you didn't know blocked your right to self protection and you have to go there. I try to avoid those places if possible or never go back.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Got my large size one today, man that was quick, this is the third day since I ordered! They seem durable, are foam lined and come with 2 keys. Don't think they would be safe against a "pro" but good enough for locking it up in the car for short periods of time, definitely make it harder for a thief. I like it!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
like fast draw except I use handcuffs ( have several pare from a previous life LOL )

·
Registered
563 Posts
I (for now) cable lock to the jack mount under the back seat in my Jeep.
I'll be ordering a safe to fit in the same compartment soon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tuffy Products for Jeeps and SUVs

Those of you lucky enough to have a Jeep or other large Truck/SUV might consider checking out these guys as well:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

They have some neat stuff. Unfortunately for me they don't have anything to replace the console in my Mazda6.

:smile:

I saw another company's website a few weeks ago that makes something similiar to Tuffy, but I can't seem to find them now. They also serviced the large SUV/Truck market if I remember correctly.

I think I'll be getting a couple of the ones posted above.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts