21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
err - one problem

Rock and Glock said:
Here's how I lock my weapon in a vehicle:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_Product_Safe_Incar.htm

Not perfect, but it'll stop a casual theif, unlike a glove box or console. I have four of these, and always have two in each car.

BTW: Welcome!
Hey guys, Just a little thought to ponder here. I don't have a safe for my vehicle yet, but I'd probably want one with a cable like the one on AgencyMan's.

I don't really like this type of design for a safe (with such a small wire). You're probably right, It MAY stop the casual thief. Problem is that the same type of thief that has the time and tools to quickly yank a glove box is going to be able to clip that tiny 6-7AWG wire holding your safe to your seat. Many of them carry wire cutters, etc... especially if they're the type that are after the sterio components. I'll take that 3/4" diam or more cable that AgencyMan has.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I don't get the whole idea of locking/leaving a loaded gun in car. I mean what happens when your car gets stolen? Now the perp has a loaded gun, and some innocent bystander catches a bullet. Safest place for a loaded weapon is on one's person, (and not in a bag.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
ClubATV.com said:
I don't get ...
OK, You're new to this forum and the carry thing. Try to follow along, now.

Post Office; schools; gov't. buildings, bar, (even if you don't drink, just sit with some friends briefly), where you work, etc.

It varies with every location.

The safes are just so some grab and run dirtbag won't steal your weapon while you are trying to be legal and observe some very stupid laws.

I've never lost a gun that way, but they did smash a driver side window for a radar detector from my glovebox once, while I ran into a store for 3 min.

B.

·
Banned
13 Posts
AgencyMan...
I understand when and when not to carry. I've been carrying for a while now. I've pulled my Glock out numberous times on perps. I know when to shoot and when not too as well.
What I'm saying is what if instead of the perp stealing just your radar detector, stole the entire vehicle?
Once he starts chopping it up, he comes across the safe, cut's it open....looky, looky..I got myself a new gun.
Next thing you know is some child caught a stray bullet and is DOA and cops are knocking on your door becuase the gun that was found on seen and the bullet pulled from that kids chest came out of your gun.

Do you see my arguement?
I'm not trying to be a jerk or trying to come across as one, but if they have a permit to carry in a car, then why not just make it CC?

·
Registered
93 Posts
ClubATV.com said:
Do you see my arguement?
I'm not trying to be a jerk or trying to come across as one, but if they have a permit to carry in a car, then why not just make it CC?
Absolutely! BTW, I'm rightfully busted for being so glib, it was really being directed at the laws we must obey.

Everyone here either carries or is waiting for their CCW or wishes they lived in a CCW state.

So, the fuss is that we even have to talk about this car issue; it is we who carry all the time, except when going into forbidden zones, who need those car safes most often.

I never thought you were trying to be a jerk, (that was me trying to be one:redface: ), one of your other posts led me to believe you might be a LEO.

B

·
Registered
569 Posts
Best way to do this is to use the DAC Sport Safe and if your rear seat moves forward mount the safe just behind the rear seat. My seat locks also. The C-O-M Safe fits perfectly inside the DAC Sport safe. Much better than the easily cut cable. They would have a hell of a time getting this safe out of the trunk. And also with the C-O-M safe you can put your gun in that and then carry it around to the trunk without anyone knowing what it is(that is if your seats don't fold forward).

I think all of us hate leaving our weapon in the car but we also need to follow the laws. I know that if I have to leave mine in the car safe I will not be far from my car for very long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had my gun stolen from under my seat saturday. My alarm doesnt work all the time so needless to say I feel like an ass. The cop who took my report let me know all the legal problems Icould face in the future should my gun be used in a crime. I have since ordered a new alarm, 2 of those safes that were listed first (the flat ones iwth the cable) one for me and one for my dad. Best hope is that the idiot who stole my gun gets pulled over and arrested before he has a chance to use it or abuse it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use Elkhunters method in my Jeep (Grand Cher..), but with a small twist. I carry a CZ PCR and if it goes under the seat it goes there WITHOUT the slide retention lever. It takes only a few seconds to pull the mag, jack out the tube round, use the mag to pop out the lever, drop the lever into my pocket.. The gun is now useless! (mags in the pocket also)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bolted a metal toolbox to the vehicle's floor under the rear seat. I have a combination padlock to lock the toolbox with a combination that only my better half and I know. The toolbox is black, BTW, which makes it less obvious if anybody looks.

Investment: Toolbox $10 (Wally World) and combination lock was about $6.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bought one works great Thanks. Now no more stowing it in an ammo can in the trunk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
packinnova said:
I don't really like this type of design for a safe (with such a small wire). You're probably right, It MAY stop the casual thief. Problem is that the same type of thief that has the time and tools to quickly yank a glove box is going to be able to clip that tiny 6-7AWG wire holding your safe to your seat. Many of them carry wire cutters, etc... especially if they're the type that are after the sterio components. I'll take that 3/4" diam or more cable that AgencyMan has.
i agree, i wish they'd come up with a thicker wire. almost looks like i can cut through that wire with my leatherman :embarassed: j/k~

21 - 32 of 32 Posts