Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

No biggie. Just wondering what y'all think.

My everyday vehicle is also my bug out vehicle.
As such, I keep my trusty AK stowed in a duffle bag with ammo, mags, cleaning kit, etc.

I was reading an article TTY the other day about home defense that said a handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you should have had in your hands in the first place.

I don't really want to lug the AK in and out every day and I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood so there's probably little chance it would get stolen.

Am I obsessing, considering the fact that the chances of a home invasion are infinitesimal and I always have my handgun (or 3) close at hand, or, perhaps it would be wise to acquire a long gun to keep exclusively at home?

I can see the accuracy and firepower advantages of the rifle but, also the more streamlined ease of movement inside the house with the handgun.

Any opinions?

Thank you, in advance and yay 2A!

B

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
How can any self-respecting gun guy have only one long gun?

On a serious note, if a handgun doesn't send garden variety intruders running, they could be cops serving a warrant to the wrong house (or worse, the right house).

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had given thought to keeping a long gun in my trunk until I had a hand gun stolen from it last year. I too thought it would be safe in a locked trunk but it was not. I never leave any gun in the trunk for longer than it takes me to get to where I am going now.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I do have a rifle in the trunk, but it's a cheapo 10/22 that I wouldn't cry over if stolen.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I hope you are not storing the weapon AND ammo in the trunk?

If I did keep a rifle in my vehicle, the ammo would travel on my person.

·
8,501 Posts
As long as you are obeying all of your local laws then I say go for it. The down side is that if you leave something in your car long enough and often enought it WILL get stolen.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The days have changed so much from the time of rifles in the rack of a pickup's rear window, that I would not even consider leaving a rifle in my truck, even with living in a rural area like I do.

Reactions: NYADK and yocoffee

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Hello all.

As such, I keep my trusty AK stowed in a duffle bag with ammo, mags, cleaning kit, etc.

I was reading an article TTY the other day about home defense that said a handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you should have had in your hands in the first place.

I don't really want to lug the AK in and out every day and I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood so there's probably little chance it would get stolen.

Am I obsessing, considering the fact that the chances of a home invasion are infinitesimal and I always have my handgun (or 3) close at hand, or, perhaps it would be wise to acquire a long gun to keep exclusively at home?

I can see the accuracy and firepower advantages of the rifle but, also the more streamlined ease of movement inside the house with the handgun.

Any opinions?

B
First welcome to the forum! With all due respect what are you going to do if your car is stolen? A legally carried concealed handgun on your person is better IMO if your car is stolen or burglarized. I do think basic survival preps including a good FAK in your trunk is a good idea. Just some food for thought...

Reactions: InVegas

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
I won't store a gun in a vehicle. Far, far too many stolen that way.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I don't leave it in my vehicle but I always travel with either an AK underfolder or an AR and 3+ full magazines. Both have a discreet case, though the AK is much more discreet due to its much smaller footprint. I believe in the event of a civil unrest situation, having more than just my pistol might be the difference between self rescue or succumbing to the mob.

I don't really buy into the fight to your rifle mentality. I understand where it comes from but most people aren't going to face a horde of attackers so you're not going to be fighting to get to anything. You're simply going to be fighting to survive.

I don't see much value simply leaving a long gun in the vehicle simply because, odds are, if I need something, I'll need it where I am, not where I'm not, so I only carry it when I can keep it with me. Plus, the chances of it being stolen are much higher than the odds of needing it and I have no interest in arming yet one more criminal. You may believe you live in a 'safe area' or have limited crime but that's no guarantee that your stuff is safe nor does it apply at all once you go to work or wherever else you take that vehicle. There's always an enhanced risk of losing something that you aren't in close proximity to.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Nothing wrong with a shotgun in the house. Bird shot, buckshot, slugs all go down the barrel. Avoid the short stock and pistol grips.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've had my vehicles broken into too many times to leave my firearms in my vehicle for any appreciable length of time. If I can carry it legally where I'm going, my gun comes with me.
Yes, this means I've forgone keeping a rifle in the vehicle. Until I can get a full lockbox cable of being fully secured to the vehicle itself (and not just a thin cable), I'm not going to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow!
Great to know that there is such a responsive forum out there for this kind of stuff!
Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Guess I'll have to adjust.

G'day all.
B

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Get a 12ga. pump for your home or your vehicle. If you get a Mossberg Maverick 88 they are <$300.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello all.

Any opinions?

B
I live in a nice place too and guess what my car was broken into and my 1990s CD collection was stolen (jokes on them) and my electric razor. No gun though, because it (they) live(s) with me. Any vehicle can be a target at any time. I can get into most vehicles simply by popping the radio antenna off and using it to pop the lock. I have done it 100 times to help people and myself get keys that have been locked in.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Smash and grabs are common. BGs know a lot of folks leave guns in vehicles. I forgot to lock my car one night (usually not a big deal as property crimes are relatively low in my neighborhood) and discovered it had been gone through the next day. They didn't take anything. They passed up a pocket knife and some tools I had in there. I believe they were specifically looking for guns. Thankfully there were none in my car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts