Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s now been 6 months since I broke my right hand. I was concerned about my yearly recertification. I will say I have become more comfortable shooting with my left. That being said I have regained enough dexterity in my right hand to shoot with decent accuracy. Not as well as prior to my injury but enough to be confident. I still can’t draw with my right but have improved my left hand draw. I still can’t make a fist with my right hand but it is slowly getting better. I suspect it will take a good year before I regain almost complete dexterity in the hand. Until then lefty it is. 😂.

·
Registered
52,694 Posts
Bones take about eight weeks to heal. If your hand is still stiff after six months, you need PT or something.

·
Registered
52,694 Posts
As a natural lefty, all I have to say is, welcome to experiencing the power of the LEFT SIDE!
Oh Lordy, a leftie too! A tea-drinking leftie.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It’s now been 6 months since I broke my right hand. I was concerned about my yearly recertification. I will say I have become more comfortable shooting with my left. That being said I have regained enough dexterity in my right hand to shoot with decent accuracy. Not as well as prior to my injury but enough to be confident. I still can’t draw with my right but have improved my left hand draw. I still can’t make a fist with my right hand but it is slowly getting better. I suspect it will take a good year before I regain almost complete dexterity in the hand. Until then lefty it is. 😂.
welcome to the club. left handers are a better class of people.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bones take about eight weeks to heal. If your hand is still stiff after six months, you need PT or something.
Did pt. The bones have healed but the hand is stiff. Dr. Said I might loose some dexterity due to the break and arthritis. Initially he stated if I was a boxer or surgeon he would do surgery but at “my age” he was going to cast it and let it heal on its own. lol.

Back in my Navy days, I caught the middle finger on my left hand in a rack and pinion gear. It ripped the skin down to the tendon. Little more I might have needed surgery. Any way, the Corpsman sewed me up.lol. Took a good year before I could close that finger all the way. I’m sure this will heal as well. 😂

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Yeah, bones will heal but the scar tissue left behind and the damaged nerves and tendons can remind. A natural born lefty, but going to try to switch over to the “popular” side since my new shoulder is healed up and my left hand is just about done for. Thank goodness for 22lrs and Air Soft, cause I wouldn’t have training or fun without them!

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Glad things are progressing for you, GW. As a lifetime lefty, it is extremely difficult to enjoy shooting right handed, but, if need be . . . Good luck on your continued recovery.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yeah, bones will heal but the scar tissue left behind and the damaged nerves and tendons can remind. A natural born lefty, but going to try to switch over to the “popular” side since my new shoulder is healed up and my left hand is just about done for. Thank goodness for 22lrs and Air Soft, cause I wouldn’t have training or fun without them!
if you go over to the Dark Side, you can no longer be Lefty Red. you'll have to be Righty Red

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Good news, @GWarden -- I know you will continue to work at the dexterity thing and am sure you will pass your quals with no problem. Heck, you shot well when you were visiting us and that was several weeks ago. You can only get better and better you know!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I darn near had my right arm fall off 10 years ago from a car accident. I did notice the fingers on my right hand don't move as quick as the left digits, but I still shoot right handed. No reason to convert.
Well at this time I can’t draw with the hand. My grip isn’t strong enough yet. Although I can close my hand about 3/4 of the way, I can’t hold my firearm secure enough with just the one hand. I’m working on strengthening it and I’m sure eventually it will get there. It’s just going to take time. 😄

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts