Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I had to move due to a heated argument I had with my Dad with whom I was living with for the time being, Now I'm currently living with my mother & her boyfriend & unfortunately she seems to have a some sort of a criminal record yet she has never done any time for her convictions it's still a concern for me as I would bringing my Firearm into the household so I would like to know the legalities of the situation & if there would be any negative ramifications if I were forced to drawn my firearm in a home defensive situation. As of now I have no means of protecting myself when I leave to go about my business or what have you, let alone a way to defend myself with in the confines of my home. I feel really uncomfortable & of naked now not having any way of being able to effectively defend myself let alone my family. :/

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
My understanding is that if you keep the firearm secured (locked or on your person) so she has no access to it, you are fine. That is assuming her record makes her a prohibited person.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's exactly what I figured but I'm not a 100% certain so, I'm going to look into this further I might even conduct a background check on her. :/ But I want to be sure that I am legal to have my firearm within the same dwelling as my mother I do not want any repercussions from this. Hopefully I'll be able to find some answers here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe your mom is the one who would be in trouble, not you. (As long as you aren't doing anything else illegal)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's what I thought, I couldn't see myself the one facing the repercussions of this situation. Now you said as long "as you're not doing anything ELSE illegal" well I'm not doing anything illegal to begin with so I assume that was a typo on you're part (91wm6) next time use the correct terminologies & make sure you're using them in the correct context. :p

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
You need better legal advice than you can get here.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Administrator
144,232 Posts
If your Mom is considered to be a prohibited person and she owns that home - there may a situation where no firearms or even just ammunition are permitted to be at that address - so you will need to do some serious research on that since I do not have a qualified answer for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your Mom is considered to be a prohibited person and she owns that home - there may a situation where no firearms or even just ammunition are permitted to be at that address - so you will need to do some serious research on that since I do not have a qualified answer for you.
Right hopefully she's not, now as far as the residence goes she & her boyfriend lease a apartment jointly of course. I plan on researching this extensively until I can come across a definite answer.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
It sounds like you're not even sure of your mom's charges (mentioning doing a background check on her). That makes it a bit more difficult to answer your question.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Find a different place to live.

Reactions: Oldpsufan

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
2 thoughts come to mind. Get a job (or a better one) and get your own place or with roomates without issues. I know it is tough living on your own (mostly expensive) but you will find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that's not entirely true as the charges she's been dealt don't seem to be that serious from my perspective, but I'm not entirely sure the severity of them. So I would rather have a better understanding & or insight to the specific charges by conducting a background check.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right exactly I plan on doing so but I have to work with what I have at the moment now, being on a fixed income doesn't help all that much either. Yet while I am here I do want to be able to protect myself with inside the confines of my current home as well as outside of it.

·
Registered
42,344 Posts
The best way to get out of a bad situation is to get out of the bad situation.

Move.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At this point & time I plan on conducting a Criminal Background Check asap on my Mother to bring these charges to light, after this has been completed I plan on bringing my findings to a Attorney but I'm not entirely sure the type of Attorney I will need for these legalities as I have never needed to use one before. Hopefully he/she will be able to give me a correct & distinctive answer to this legal problem I am currently facing. :/

·
Registered
701 Posts
Have you discussed this with your mother? It might be easier and cheaper to ask her what conviction she has on her record and that you don't want to bring a gun in the house if she were a prohibited person.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I have fully discussed this matter with her, But I'm doing what I have to to make sure I am in the right to do so legally. As I am uncertain of the specifics of this situation. in which so I want a clear answer on this matter & I need to contact the correct Attorney to do so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts