Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a few days on the legality of Open/conceal carry in a business that is claimed as a gun free zone but does not have Any form of sing stating such posted in Kentucky. just looking for any info on the subject I have yet to find any on my own

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm from KY as well. To my understanding if there is no signage it is legal to carry. They have to have it posted for you to know if it is a "gun free zone" or not.

However even if they do have a sign, you are legally allowed to concealed carry in that business, but if they find out you are carrying and ask you to leave you are required to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, you wouldn't happen to know the krs or statute number? there is a store not to far from where i live where they have no sign but the security claims it is a gun free zone

·
Banned
894 Posts
You can be trespassed off-permanently. Next time you're in the store, ask management. Without a sign and with good concealed carry, this would not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
You can carry anyway you see fit in a privet business, posted or not, in KY. If you are asked to leave over it, you must comply or it's a simple trespassing citation. Obviously that means OC is out, but if you conceal well, carry on. The list of places off limits by law is pretty short, and as mentioned Handgunlaw.us is the best resource for up to the date laws for all 50 states.

Reactions: Pijo73 and Aceoky

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
thank you, you wouldn't happen to know the krs or statute number? There is a store not to far from where i live where they have no sign but the security claims it is a gun free zone
Below are the ONLY "Gun Free Zones" in Ky with a valid CDWL

no license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person
to carry a concealed firearm into:
(a)
Any police station or sheriff's office;
(b)
Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(c)
Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or court proceeding;
(d)
Any meeting of the governing body of a county, municipality, or special district; or any meeting
of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly, except that nothing in this section
shall preclude a member of the body, holding a concealed deadly weapon license, from carrying a
concealed deadly weapon at a meeting of the body of which he or she is a member;
(e)
Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption
on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;
(f)
Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of school
authorities as provided
in KRS 527.070,
any child caring facility as defined in KRS 199.011, any daycare center as defined
in KRS 199.894, or any certified family child care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, except
however, any owner of a certified child care home may carry a concealed firearm into the owner's
residence used as a certified child care home;
(g)
An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of
persons and property; or

(h)
Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(17)

KRS 237.110= the actual KRS

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
No sign, yet "security" says it's a GFZ? I'm no lawyer, yet even a smart Kentucky squirrel would tell ya'..that's just NUTS. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
The "security" person is CLUELESS!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
You can be trespassed off-permanently.
Care to show us the KRS that says this? There is NO reason "to ask management" KY law is very clear only the above places can be GFZ by Law - sure they can post (and the OP says it's not even posted at all) - that IS the end of it in KY (no clue on MN) even IF posted you can walk right on by the sign perfectly 100% legally ;In Ky even if asked to leave on you were stupid enough to not comply it's a "ticket" (and a small one) at that.......

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The "security" person is CLUELESS!
Well Ace, it just a good thing that these particularly stupid people are...unarmed! :biggrin2:

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
You can be trespassed off-permanently. Next time you're in the store, ask management. Without a sign and with good concealed carry, this would not be an issue.
Your line about trespassed off- permanently may apply in your state, but not here.

Asking is a great way to get the answer "no" the majority of the time IMO. Many national chain stores have very clear pro gun policies one way or the other, but many store managers either don't know, or don't agree with them. So they tell you you can't carry. Bottom line is, if it's not on the list posted by Ace, keep it covered and you should be fine.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Thank you all for your help
Happy to help, I'm curious , what part of Ky are you in and this store what type has security much less security that is clueless on KY law?

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy to help, I'm curious , what part of Ky are you in and this store what type has security much less security that is clueless on KY law?
Louisville and its a little Home department store im not sure if its part of a chain or not They opened about a month ago

·
Banned
894 Posts
Your line about trespassed off- permanently may apply in your state, but not here.

Asking is a great way to get the answer "no" the majority of the time IMO. Many national chain stores have very clear pro gun policies one way or the other, but many store managers either don't know, or don't agree with them. So they tell you you can't carry. Bottom line is, if it's not on the list posted by Ace, keep it covered and you should be fine.

There is no specific criminal charge for carrying a concealed weapon in a location that does not permit it, so long as the person has a valid permit to carry concealed and is not otherwise prohibited. And, of course, there is no provision to prohibit an individual from carrying openly, either. However, the person may be subject to denial or removal from the premises. If they refuse to leave, they could be charged with Criminal Trespass. However, it would be questionable to place additional charges, such as Disorderly Conduct or Menacing against that individual unless facts exist to support those charges. (For example, simply
A letter to the violator from store management, with a copy to the cops, and you are out. Stores are still private property, and within legal guidelines, don't have to let people in. Ironically, gun carriers are not a protected class.

And yes, a business can ban you permanently. Keep it covered up.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
A letter to the violator from store management, with a copy to the cops, and you are out. Stores are still private property, and within legal guidelines, don't have to let people in. Ironically, gun carriers are not a protected class.

And yes, a business can ban you permanently. Keep it covered up.
While that is a valid point, it's a pretty far stretch and the law states no such ban. The chances of the business owner going as far as writing a letter to the police and the gun owner for a permanent ban are almost zero. At the worst they may tell you to never come back, but that's about it.

Also, I can't think of a single place that may pull a stunt like that, that I would be upset about. There's always an option.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Louisville and its a little Home department store im not sure if its part of a chain or not They opened about a month ago
I'm fairly picky about where I open carry in Louisville, but I'll conceal anywhere and not think twice. Where legal of course. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it with further detail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts