Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding a baton to my carry in areas where CCW of a gun is permitted in NC. Obviously still won't be able take it into government buildings and a few other common sense areas but was more thinking those restaurants where alcohol is sold and consumed, places where an admission is charged (those stupid areas where carry is permitted in NC). I have had some training in the past and feel confident in the use of the baton.

Anyone have any references to the legalities of this in NC? The best I can see in the NC statutes is the following:
A. Carrying Concealed Weapons
North Carolina law strictly controls the ability of individuals to carry weapons concealed. Except under the limited concealed handgun permit provisions of state law, described in Sections III. B and III. C of this publication, it is unlawful for any person in North Carolina, except when on his or her own premises, to willfully and intentionally carry concealed, either on or about his or her person, any "Bowie Knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stungun, or other deadly weapon of like kind.” Specifically exempted from the requirements of this law are ordinary pocket knives carried in a closed position. An ordinary pocket knife is defined as being "a small knife, that is designed to be carried in a pocket or purse, which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle. The knife must not be capable of being opened by a
throwing, explosive, or spring action." N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269

I am guessing the baton falls under the "other deadly weapon of like kind" but wanted some addition opinions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think batons are a great weapon but not sure
its a good idea to carry one. If you had the legal right
to use one in a self defense situation it would probably
just be best to use a firearm instead anyway.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I would think if you were wearing a cheerleader outfit you could carry a baton anywhere you wanted,I remember getting thumped with them more than once and they will put a pot knot on your head

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Keep in mind that NC has a Concealed Handgun Permit, handguns only. So if you could it may have to be carried openly. I have heard that you cannot carry a baton, ie ASP. But can't put my finger on that. Pepper spray and kubatons sp? are a go.

Here is the GS site. Might be able to search it. My search came up empty.

North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes Table of Contents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts