Defensive Carry banner

Leheigh Defense bullets

562 Views 24 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Outdoorguy
I've never purchased or used this (CNC machined!) ammo, but in terms of precision-made bullets, this appears to be state of art. I would consider this to be "premium", high-priced ammo, however, it may be worth the cost. Thoughts?

The New Lehigh Defense is Fully Operational! Now Machining 400K Solid Copper Bullets a Week!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
9,408 Posts
I have used Leheigh bullets in rifles. They work great, especially in higher velocity calibers.
I have tried them in handgun calibers and not been impressed. I tried them at standard pressure and velocities.
What I have found to be true of them is the faster you push them the better they work. This is why makers like Underwood, use them in their fastest ammo.
I may test them again in 38 super. [ my only really high velocity pistol caliber]. A 115 gr solid copper bullet going around 1500 fps should put it at its best performance.
Another caliber that it deserved a good test from is 357 sig. DR

· Registered
2,997 Posts
I carry them in my 10mm, at 1700 FPS they produce excellent results in gelatin.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Lehigh Defense ammo lately. I need to research it more. Seems like it is great defense ammo.

· Registered
2,997 Posts
Reactions: PGM

· Registered
311 Posts
What kills The Blob?

The Blob has never been killed in any of its appearances, but can be stopped by freezing it.
I had seen an interview with Bill Wilson where he said they shoot a lot of feral hogs on his ranch every month. It’ll be interesting to see if they start harvesting hogs using the Lehigh ammo and how the round performs on live hogs and not just gel.

· Registered
9,408 Posts
Nice! What would you say the main difference is betwen the Lehigh defense ammo and a typical JHP?
The bullets that are cut like a screwdriver tip don't open at all. At high velocity the cuts direct fluid [ or tissue] out the sides, creating explosive wounds without the bullet expanding. Then as the bullet slows it is still full caliber to push on through. The trick is the ammo company engineer has to find a speed that the bullet gets the expansion and still runs out of steam before it exits the test medium. [meets the FBI spec].
This way they are not dependent on the hole in HP bullet catching enough fluid to fully expand. The Leheigh bullets don't have a hole to clog. Their downside is they require a lot of velocity to get their full effect. More so than HP bullets. DR

· Registered
9,408 Posts
I had seen an interview with Bill Wilson where he said they shoot a lot of feral hogs on his ranch every month. It’ll be interesting to see if they start harvesting hogs using the Lehigh ammo and how the round performs on live hogs and not just gel.
He like the Leheigh bullets so much he bought the company, and then built a new factory so they could expand! DR

· Registered
2,997 Posts
The bullets that are cut like a screwdriver tip don't open at all. At high velocity the cuts direct fluid [ or tissue] out the sides, creating explosive wounds without the bullet expanding. Then as the bullet slows it is still full caliber to push on through. The trick is the ammo company engineer has to find a speed that the bullet gets the expansion and still runs out of steam before it exits the test medium. [meets the FBI spec].
This way they are not dependent on the hole in HP bullet catching enough fluid to fully expand. The Leheigh bullets don't have a hole to clog. Their downside is they require a lot of velocity to get their full effect. More so than HP bullets. DR
Wow! What a breakdown! Thanks Ranger. 😎

I'm watching Youtube videos about the Lehigh defense ammo now to brush up on them.

Reactions: dangerranger

· Registered
426 Posts
Yesterday's quip from John Farnham indicates that there have been shootings with the Honey Badger ammo and the results were good. HoneyBadger is the Black Hills equivalent of the Lehigh ammo.
I'd be interested in reading more details on the shootings before I consider using them.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When it comes to not clogging the "hollow point", isn't Hornady Critical Defense ammo with the FTX plugs supposed to mitigate the clogging of clothing, etc. prior to expansion?

Reactions: Outdoorguy and PGM
1 - 20 of 25 Posts