Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the better part of 14 years I have been carrying Glocks in a Safariland 295 on duty.

Model 295 Mid-Ride, Level II Retention | Safariland

It has served me well. I have a very fast draw with this holster. I have never had a red gun taken in any DT scenario. But I have read some horror stories. Anyway, it has a crack in the material near the wrap around strap that is getting pretty bad. So I need a new holster.

I also had purchased a Safariland 6280 awhile back.

Model 6280 Level II Retention, Mid-Ride | Safariland

This holster seems to have good retention. But I don't like the draw. After disengaging the hood, when I pull straight up on the weapon, the holster lifts up on the bottom and I don't always get a good draw. I have loosened the retention screw. I have a good rigid duty belt and I use keepers in front of and behind the holster.

I use the same holster in a drop leg support side for my taser with no problems. I have put the 6280 on a drop leg and it works awesome. The strap holds the bottom of the holster and I get a fast draw. But my Chief doesn't want drop legs for our duty weapons and the 6280 doesn't work for me on the belt.

I was considering getting the 6365. But I have a feeling it'll be the same situation as the 6280.

Model 6365 ALS? Level III w/ Drop UBL | Safariland

Thoughts? Should I just get another 295? I am very used to it, but the stories that I have read about retention worry me a little.

·
Super Moderator
18,108 Posts
I've been using the 070 Level 3 retention for the G21 and I can draw fairly quick. Its all in what you practice with I suppose.

Since my backup is usually 30 minutes away if I have any at all, its a good thing to have.

A question though...have you ever been in a scuffle and had to use that retention?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I've been using the 070 for at least 8 years now too. I suggest it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using the 070 Level 3 retention for the G21 and I can draw fairly quick. Its all in what you practice with I suppose.

Since my backup is usually 30 minutes away if I have any at all, its a good thing to have.

A question though...have you ever been in a scuffle and had to use that retention?
Plenty of scuffles. No BG ever attempted to take my weapon. However, I have always done well holding onto it in DT scenarios.

Practice isn't the issue here. I've done numerous draws. It is the way the holster tilts up on the bottom on a quick draw.

I've thought about the 070. I'm not a fan of having to use two different fingers to disengage two snaps. I also read of the 070 ripping right off in DT scenarios.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I've been using the 070 for at least 8 years now too. I suggest it.
That's what my G-23 rides in evey day also, good holster.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Have you thought of the Blackhawk SERPA holsters? They are quick and secure even with the level two and available for weapons with light mounts.

If I was back on patrol, a SERPA would be my duty rig as it is on my tac rig.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If your holster "lifts up on the bottom" you need a stiffer BELT, not a different holster. Well, a different holster might be OK, too, but then IT might lift up at the bottom, too, if your belt is flimsy. The city of Hxxxxxx issues good holsters, but then also issues flimsy low-bid duty belts. I bought my own Safariland belt with the Velcro retention system. Actually, I bought my Safariland 070 holster, too, since at the time I started carrying my P229R, the city did not yet have any holsters for the railed SIGs. We have since switched to the Safariland with the ALS retention system, but this new rig has had episodes of failing to release the weapon, so I am going to keep using my 070 until compelled to switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Safariland 6280 does the same thing. It is worse if the light is on the gun. I have used different belts with the same effect.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your holster "lifts up on the bottom" you need a stiffer BELT, not a different holster. Well, a different holster might be OK, too, but then IT might lift up at the bottom, too, if your belt is flimsy. The city of Hxxxxxx issues good holsters, but then also issues flimsy low-bid duty belts. I bought my own Safariland belt with the Velcro retention system. Actually, I bought my Safariland 070 holster, too, since at the time I started carrying my P229R, the city did not yet have any holsters for the railed SIGs. We have since switched to the Safariland with the ALS retention system, but this new rig has had episodes of failing to release the weapon, so I am going to keep using my 070 until compelled to switch.
I do have a rigid belt. Very stiff. I actually corrected the situation by putting another keeper behind the holster and I tightened up the belt a bit. I had been doing more cardio, so I had lost some weight.

She works well now. Although, I am still kicking around the idea of a 6365. I have the retention screw pretty loose on the 6280, so the hood is the only REAL retention. I like the idea of the ALS securing the weapon without the hood.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I do have a rigid belt. Very stiff. I actually corrected the situation by putting another keeper behind the holster and I tightened up the belt a bit. I had been doing more cardio, so I had lost some weight.

She works well now. Although, I am still kicking around the idea of a 6365. I have the retention screw pretty loose on the 6280, so the hood is the only REAL retention. I like the idea of the ALS securing the weapon without the hood.
Good to see you have a good belt. :smile:

Like SIXTO, I am a believer in the 070. I can't remember how long I have been using them, but it was since they were called the SSIII, back in the 1980's. My PD went to them for autoloaders first, to replace flap holster. (I am not kidding! Flaps!) We had used the Bianchi Hurricane for sixguns since 1985, with the Rogers Trooper an approved alternative, but there was not a good retention rig for a range of autopistols until the SSIII/070. I do, however, envy the ability of the new issue holster to secure the weapon without the hood being rotated. My 070 supposedly locks the pistol without the straps being engaged, but the new rig is very positive, with an audible feedback that the pistol is locked in place.

Actually, I miss my Rogers Trooper, too, as I get nostalgic for my duty sixguns. I even bought one that was LNIB, through evilbay, as a collectible and reminder of the fun days of policin'.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I don't like hoods, but that's just me.

I love my Bianchi Accumold VANGUARD 7115 best holster I've used.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I carry one of the 6280 ALS type holsters.

With the mid-ride hanger, it does tend to rotate away from the body at the bottom and hang up.

I scrounged up the high-ride hanger (one screws off and the other screws on) and it works just fine. With the holster anchored near the bottom (nearer, anyway), there's no rotation.

It fits better in the car, too.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the mid-ride hanger, it does tend to rotate away from the body at the bottom and hang up.

I scrounged up the high-ride hanger (one screws off and the other screws on) and it works just fine. With the holster anchored near the bottom (nearer, anyway), there's no rotation.

It fits better in the car, too.
It's working ok now with the mid ride. No problems in the car either. For me, the high ride would be slower to present.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been carrying the 070 for a while and like it much better than the 6070 raptor I own. The Serpa is extremely fast but is the least secure level 2/3 on the market.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you thought of the Blackhawk SERPA holsters? They are quick and secure even with the level two and available for weapons with light mounts.

If I was back on patrol, a SERPA would be my duty rig as it is on my tac rig.
Been carrying the 070 for a while and like it much better than the 6070 raptor I own. The Serpa is extremely fast but is the least secure level 2/3 on the market.
I tried the level II serpa duty holster awhile ago. Awesome draw, very fast. But I read about issues with debris getting caught in the mechanism, resulting in the firearm being stuck in the holster.

I also had it before they came out with the different ride heights. I have the lowest, which was very uncomfortable after a whole shift in the RMP.

If the tension screw was tightened accordingly it did feel pretty secure. Although, I never put it to the DT test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts