Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight our academy class was on Building Clearing. Had good training, but one incident really stood out to me. The instructors had NOT told us to bring flashlights or weapons to the class (held in a middle school), but they didn't bring any plastic guns, so they asked us if any of us had brought a gun and or flashlight. So I went out to my truck, pulled my 1911 out of the locked gun safe, ensured that it was indeed unloaded and grabbed my flashlight that I keep in my truck.

I brought the pistol to one of the instructors so he could check that it was cleared, and he couldn't pull the slide back (the safety was engaged). The same thing happened with one of the other students who is an Infantryman, with a couple of tours in Afghanistan and Iraq who wanted to see my pistol.

I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs :danceban: (flame proof suit is ON) :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Or maybe it reinforces that you're an antiquarian... :smile:

Not really. Good on your for relying on a classic gun that just flat-out works.

·
8,501 Posts
I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class
A 1911 with a rail is like a.... well heck I can't come up with a good example. It's like something old and classy with something new and ugly added on. The rail makes it vulgar.

I still think they are cool though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs :danceban: (flame proof suit is ON) :image035:
LOL. Don't forget us vulgar Walther plebians.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Those two must have been brought up on Glocks

·
Registered
20,257 Posts
No flame from this end. I hate having to come to work everyday and put on that plastic gun. Even though the polymer guns are wonderfully functional, they just don't do it for me anymore.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 1911 is a thing of beauty. It is my favorite pistol. But I carry a Glock. Somehow that makes me a little sad. But I'm glad there are folks like you out there Chaplin. Restores a little balance to the world.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Tonight our academy class was on Building Clearing. Had good training, but one incident really stood out to me. The instructors had NOT told us to bring flashlights or weapons to the class (held in a middle school), but they didn't bring any plastic guns, so they asked us if any of us had brought a gun and or flashlight. So I went out to my truck, pulled my 1911 out of the locked gun safe, ensured that it was indeed unloaded and grabbed my flashlight that I keep in my truck.

I brought the pistol to one of the instructors so he could check that it was cleared, and he couldn't pull the slide back (the safety was engaged). The same thing happened with one of the other students who is an Infantryman, with a couple of tours in Afghanistan and Iraq who wanted to see my pistol.

I guess it just reinforces that 1911s are works of beauty and class among the more common and vulgar Glocks and XDs :danceban: (flame proof suit is ON) :image035:
Probably just as well they couldn't work it, they probably would have let the slide slam closed on the empty chamber! Had TSA do that to mine once years ago.

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
Since the LEOs and infantry long ago abandoned the 1911, are you surprised they stumbled over the locked slide? Familiarity breeds contempt; non-familiarity breeds ????

·
Registered
20,257 Posts
Probably just as well they couldn't work it, they probably would have let the slide slam closed on the empty chamber! Had TSA do that to mine once years ago.
Letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber is actually a step in a proper function check of the sear engagement on the 1911. While it shouldn't be done often, it won't hurt every once and awhile.

Letting the slide slam home on a chambered round is what messes up the extractor.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
What's wrong with that? I've never heard that this is an issue. Educate me someone, please!

·
Super Moderator
22,294 Posts
1911......The "Fist Of God".
The blued-steel Colt
The new steel Colt
She runs to stunts erratic
For she's a darn
Tough arm to learn
This Army automatic.
Yet when you get to know this arm
and how to coax and pet her,
She'll do her duty like a charm
No Gun will serve you better
She'll stick right closely by your side
And as the fight grows hotter
And you are caught in battle's tide--
You'll thank your stars you've got her.

The lusty Colt, The trusty Colt,
The weapon democratic,
Whose vicious might
Makes men one height--
The Army automatic.

~Songs of the Training Camps (WWI)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since the LEOs and infantry long ago abandoned the 1911, are you surprised they stumbled over the locked slide? Familiarity breeds contempt; non-familiarity breeds ????
Yeah--actually I was surprised a bit---I figured that for a 10 year infantry vet (with at least 2 combat tours) and a full-time LEO, that weapons are part of the job, and while 1911s are not issued, I at least figured that they were common enough that they would, at a minimum, have handled one enough to be able to take the safety off and check the chamber :gah:

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Oh...you mean if the Thumb Safety is engaged the slide can't be pulled back? :confused:
I'll need to jot that relatively unknown fact down in my 1911 notebook. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh...you mean if the Thumb Safety is engaged the slide can't be pulled back? :confused:
Yeah--after they both futzed with it for a while, I leaned in and flicked the safety off for them each :yup:

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
I'm not a 1911 guy, have shot one a few times, but I think could have figured that out. D'OH!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts