Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm traveling out of my normal area and see a sheriff's deputy turn around as he passes me. He comes up behind me and flips the lights. I had no idea but apparently when I passed the gravel truck on the long, flat, straight, rural, empty road I failed to slow back down as much as I should.

I pulled over, it's near 100 so I leave the van running (wife and kids with me) in park, foot off brake, window down, hands on the wheel where he could see them.

He asked for my license and I said "I have a valid concealed carry permit and am carrying on my right hand side IWB." He asked where my license was and I said in my right side back pocket. He said "Ok, just pull out your license." I did and we had a very polite and cordial interaction. He said he appreciated me telling him the way I did and it's the ones that don't tell them that that they are concerned about (I took this as meaning the ill intended folks not the legal law-abiding folks).

He came back to the van with just a warning ticket. I thanked him sincerely and went on my way slowly.

It was as good as it gets, and I got lucky. Maybe the way I handled it influenced him giving just a warning. Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
I doubt either of you could have handled the situation any better. Well done, BD.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Just remember, they work for us... not the other way around. And always be on your guard and cautious of any officer who makes contact of any kind with you. This is not "anti-cop" but simply prudent behavior. You never know who is wearing that uniform with a badge and a firearm.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Wait, you must be mistaken. Didn't he drag you out and handcuff you while snatching your gun, unloading locking the magazine in the trunk and waterboarding your wife? That's what always happens when folks inform an officer about a carry permit from what I've read.

Glad it went the same as what I too have experienced first hand.

Oh and what is a
door off brake
?

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
As a commercial truck driver, I prefer a ticket to a warning.
I get points on my driving record with both, though I can fight a ticket (no conviction, no points). I can't contest a warning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, you must be mistaken. Didn't he drag you out and handcuff you while snatching your gun, unloading locking the magazine in the trunk and waterboarding your wife? That's what always happens when folks inform an officer about a carry permit from what I've read.

Glad it went the same as what I too have experienced first hand.

Oh and what is a ?
Should be "foot off brake". Corrected. Fat fingers on a cell phone with auto correct makes for some strange things.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Had only one bad interactions in the last year. I don't know if he was having a bad day or what. When he came to the truck I handed him my license and carry permit which I always do. he ask if I was carrying and I said it was on my right hip. he asked for my pistol. I ask if he wanted me to unload it he said no. He took and unloaded it by my window and handed me my round and mag back and kept the pistol. out of several stops over the years he is the first to ask for my pistol.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I do a lot of "Ride Alongs" with my Local PD, and have yet to see them Cite a speeder with a CHL if he declairs and is courtious to the Officers from the get go.
(Edit Note: We did write speeding tickets. But courtious drivers get a break "sometimes".)

EX: We stopped a Speeder for 84 in a 70.. Yep it's normally a ticket.
Rural Highway, almost middle of nowhere and long and straight road.
Older Toyota in need of paint, so working class guys
11 OVER and they always write normally.

Guy handed my LEO Friend his DL and CHL when he approached the window.
Was courtious. And I could see his hands from my seat in the patrol car at all times.

Ran the DL and CHL in the Computer.
Driver had had several DUI's, but were over 5 years old.
Zero Wants or Warrants since.
He had been clean since, and appeared to have gotten his life straightened out.
Wife and kids in the car with him.

Let off with a warning and told not to come through that part of the Country that fast again as he would definfitly get a ticket the next time.

Guy was happy, and my Leo Friend said he deserved one break.

Not all LEO's are hard nose!
Especially Country Law.

GOt stopped by DPS for BAR CODE Reader Error.
I handed him my DL and CHL at the full open window.
(Had already turned off the noisey diesel so I could hear him.)
Trooper asked if I had any guns in my pickup?
Yea, 5 or 6 at the moment!
Any Loaded?
Of coarse they're loaded!
If they weren't loaded they be called "Rock and Bats", Officer!
He laughed and said, well leave them where they are and we'll be done in a minute.

His bar code computer couldn't read my front plate bar code when we passed each other on the FM Road and he wanted to find out why not.

Computer error, and I was on my way!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Should be "foot off brake". Corrected. Fat fingers on a cell phone with auto correct makes for some strange things.
I really was curious. I haven't been new car shopping in years and with all of the new tech in cars I wanted to see what else I've missed. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
He said he appreciated me telling him the way I did and it's the ones that don't tell them that that they are concerned about (I took this as meaning the ill intended folks not the legal law-abiding folks).
Im guessing this was in Florida? If so, the cop is concerned when people dont do something they are not required to do? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Here are a few phrases that will help you out the next time you get stopped:

- Hold my beer so I don't spill it when I get my license!

- You're not gonna check the trunk...are you??

- Didn't I see you get your ass kicked on Cops?

- Hey! You must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me! Good job!

- I thought you had to be in good physical condition to be a Police Officer.

- I was going to be a cop, but I decided to finish high school instead.

- Hey! I pay your salary!

- Gee, thanks officer! That's terrific! The last officer only gave me a warning, too!

·
Vendor
1,735 Posts
Ive been pulled over a few times since 2009 as I am the worlds worst about renewing my tag (I get busy and put it off then forget and it has expired) officers are nice about pulling me over and reminding me that my tag is dead lol.

Anyway when I am pulled over I don't goes messing around in my car, I put both hands on the wheel and while the officer is walking up to me car I tell him that I have a permit and were my gun is (Most of the time I get this out before the officer even speaks) if my wife is with me I then ex plane she has epilepsy and the flashing lights on there car will cause her to have a seizure ( I tell him I have proof of her epilepsy with me) and ask if they can be turned off. Alot to be asking a officer who I have just told I have a gun right?

99% of the time this is how the offer reply's - He pauses and says keep your hands were I can see them, he turns his lights off then says thank you for telling me you have a ccw then ask for my license and insurance, I move slowly and retrieve my license, ccw, insurance and my wife's vns alert card (vns is an id card for a vagus nerve simulator that has info on her medical conduction) I dont know if this is something that leo's are told to say or do but regarding my gun I normally hear from the officer- you dont draw yours and I wont draw mine. The traffic goes on as normal with no problems (some times I get a ticket sometimes I dont) The stop normally concludes with me thanking the officer for turning his lights off and being considerate of my wife's medical condition and the officer saying are you the same nelson who makes holsters?.

I have only had one officer to ever ask for my gun and he was very new, he had me to hand him my loaded gun and he did not not pay very close attention to what I was doing in fact he was looking away when it stuck it out the window. A officer who was familiar with me had pulled up behind him at that time. I did get a ticket with this stop but we spent a little while talking to both officers and pointing out how the new officer needs to watch what is going on especially when a gun is involved, The officer had not attended any classes at troysgate but we passed the info along and he did take a leo survival class, the officer later called me to thank me for the info an apologized for giving me a ticket lol. It was kind of funny that he had pulled me over and the stop ended with me and another officer telling him what all he did wrong with my gun and his attention to detail as he just ask for my gun and hadn't so much as even seen my dl or ccw at that time and apparently just took me at my word and did not even pay attention while I unholstered and handed him mt gun.

I have been lucky and have good experience with leo stops so far. Most of the time I am driving my old 1996 jeep that is green with a burgundy fender, kinda raggedy looking lol

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Good job all the way around, and a happy ending. I would would only suggest one small change: consider keeping your wallet on the opposite side from your gun. It removes one more thing that could be misconstrued and will soon feel normal.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I do not get this attitude of exceeding the speed limit, then declaring you have a firearm and then hoping that you get a warning.

To begin with going a certain amount over in certain areas can actually be dangerous. Why are people who are supposed to be LAC extolling this culture of 'Let me speed and get away with it, all I have to do is kiss up to Law Enforcement'?

Many of us find that when given a reason to learn to be more calm, to not road rage, to not speed, find it empowering and uplifting to obey the rules of the road. We feel a great responsibility in being armed, in having the capacity for deadly force.

Well, think of it this way. A car is 'deadly force' when used wrongly.

So I'd like to challenge the members of DCDC to start doing the following. I'll explain why at the end.

1) When you turn right on red, signal and actually stop. Look around, check for pedestrians, have your signal on for at least 3-4 blinks prior to reaching the intersection, and then turn right if it's clear.

2) When you come to a stop sign, no matter how deserted it is, start making a habit to come to a complete stop, and operating your turn signal.

3) When you see a light turn yellow, and you're not being tailgated, start to slow. Don't floor it and end up going through an intersection with a red light on.

4) When people in front of you want to merge, be courteous and let them. Slow, and give space or even wave them in with a smile. It doesn't cost you anything to be nice.

Now, why am I asking this? Well we need to do something as a group to start making highways and roadways safer. There's already a culture of trying to cut corners. What is the upside for that? There really isn't any, it just means you're acting immature like everyone else. Have the courage to be nice, to be different. I don't mean hold up traffic or be just as much of a jerk, trying go slow and make those behind you slow down.

The reason is that by creating a habit of being calm, courteous and having patience on the road you also create that habit inside yourself. You start thinking of yourself as a nice person, as someone who has no problem cutting someone some slack.

Having that attitude when you are carrying is a big advantage, because it significantly can lower the chances you will ever do something out of anger. You can change the culture of anger at home, too. Be less spun up.

It's NOT easy. It takes time to really feel the change inside of being calmer and less prone to letting those hormones kick in. You will live longer as well.

Remember the time you decided to delay going like a cowboy when the light turned green and in just that instant a cement truck ran the light and you survived? Well life is like that. You rush headlong and sometimes you get slammed.

In addition, know the laws in your area. If the law says 'present your permit upon demand' have the courage and the patience and the discipline to follow the law, to read up on it to know it. Note that many states do not say anything about talking about your firearm. They only say present your permit.

Do NOT train LEOs to think that the best LAC is the one who kisses up or who doesn't know the actual law. Train them to think of LAC as ones who follow the law and are courteous and who don't try to cut corners.

Remember while the LEO is stopped running your license because you were impatient and intolerant and thought you were that special cupcake who didn't have to completely stop or could skate going 10mph over, there is a REAL badguy committing a crime somewhere that this officer would be spending his or her time better seeing and not having to talk to you.

Hope this is taken in the way it's intended. Not a lecture or fussing but asking as a group for us to use an opportunity to make a difference. Who knows, some of you may save a life, not take a life.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just remember, they work for us... not the other way around. And always be on your guard and cautious of any officer who makes contact of any kind with you. This is not "anti-cop" but simply prudent behavior. You never know who is wearing that uniform with a badge and a firearm.

I would just hazard a guess, your LE stops will not go as smooth as the OP's.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I would just hazard a guess, your LE stops will not go as smooth as the OP's.........:rolleyes:
Mine have usually gone pretty smooth, and I think my opinion of trusting someone just because they have a badge are well enough known on here that I dont need to state it again.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I started keeping my wallet in my left back pocket when I started carrying. On long trips I put the wallet under the radio and the pistol in the center console. I also plan to inform immediately regardless of law.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not get this attitude of exceeding the speed limit, then declaring you have a firearm and then hoping that you get a warning.

To begin with going a certain amount over in certain areas can actually be dangerous. Why are people who are supposed to be LAC extolling this culture of 'Let me speed and get away with it, all I have to do is kiss up to Law Enforcement'?

Many of us find that when given a reason to learn to be more calm, to not road rage, to not speed, find it empowering and uplifting to obey the rules of the road. We feel a great responsibility in being armed, in having the capacity for deadly force.

Well, think of it this way. A car is 'deadly force' when used wrongly.

So I'd like to challenge the members of DCDC to start doing the following. I'll explain why at the end.

1) When you turn right on red, signal and actually stop. Look around, check for pedestrians, have your signal on for at least 3-4 blinks prior to reaching the intersection, and then turn right if it's clear.

2) When you come to a stop sign, no matter how deserted it is, start making a habit to come to a complete stop, and operating your turn signal.

3) When you see a light turn yellow, and you're not being tailgated, start to slow. Don't floor it and end up going through an intersection with a red light on.

4) When people in front of you want to merge, be courteous and let them. Slow, and give space or even wave them in with a smile. It doesn't cost you anything to be nice.

Now, why am I asking this? Well we need to do something as a group to start making highways and roadways safer. There's already a culture of trying to cut corners. What is the upside for that? There really isn't any, it just means you're acting immature like everyone else. Have the courage to be nice, to be different. I don't mean hold up traffic or be just as much of a jerk, trying go slow and make those behind you slow down.

The reason is that by creating a habit of being calm, courteous and having patience on the road you also create that habit inside yourself. You start thinking of yourself as a nice person, as someone who has no problem cutting someone some slack.

Having that attitude when you are carrying is a big advantage, because it significantly can lower the chances you will ever do something out of anger. You can change the culture of anger at home, too. Be less spun up.

It's NOT easy. It takes time to really feel the change inside of being calmer and less prone to letting those hormones kick in. You will live longer as well.

Remember the time you decided to delay going like a cowboy when the light turned green and in just that instant a cement truck ran the light and you survived? Well life is like that. You rush headlong and sometimes you get slammed.

In addition, know the laws in your area. If the law says 'present your permit upon demand' have the courage and the patience and the discipline to follow the law, to read up on it to know it. Note that many states do not say anything about talking about your firearm. They only say present your permit.

Do NOT train LEOs to think that the best LAC is the one who kisses up or who doesn't know the actual law. Train them to think of LAC as ones who follow the law and are courteous and who don't try to cut corners.

Remember while the LEO is stopped running your license because you were impatient and intolerant and thought you were that special cupcake who didn't have to completely stop or could skate going 10mph over, there is a REAL badguy committing a crime somewhere that this officer would be spending his or her time better seeing and not having to talk to you.

Hope this is taken in the way it's intended. Not a lecture or fussing but asking as a group for us to use an opportunity to make a difference. Who knows, some of you may save a life, not take a life.
My rate of speed had nothing to do with my attitude. I had no idea I was exceeding the speed limit so it wasn't an intentional effort. I also had NO expectation I would get just a warning. That hasn't typically been my luck. My attitude in declaring I have a firearm on my person was that of "courteously and respectfully informing him before I did anything so that there were no surprises nor misunderstandings."

It's a long desolate straight flat rural road I'm not familiar with. I wasn't in any hurry just not using cruise control (which I often use to maintain proper pace).

In any event, an example I shared to demonstrate that not all encounters (regardless of the specific reason) are negative as some may infer from the media. Florida has no duty to inform, but I always do in the same manner I did here and it's always been fine (not always a warning though). You never know...next time it may land me spread eagle on the pavement. But I doubt it. If it does, I may have to re-think my standard process.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No sir, quite the contrary. I have never had a negative encounter with an LEO since I started carrying on a daily basis over 20 years ago. You may be under the impression that based on what I wrote that I am prone to copping an attitude with LEO's but that is not the case at all. I am just careful and prudent and prefer to be as prepared as I can for anything coming down the road.

Besides, I don't get tickets. Last moving violation I got was in April, 1971. And that one I didn't deserve... the cop's radar was not properly calibrated (this was reported for that county in Maryland several weeks after I got that ticket).

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong in how you handled yourself during the stop. You were both polite and considerate and, in turn, were treated accordingly. That's normally how it goes. Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts