·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I flew in last night to Atlanta, and I must say it feels
great to be back in the States again.

Now I am online and sending resumes to different depts
as I am serious about pursuing a career in law enforcement.

Any tips from you Leo's out there on where to begin this
process? Anyone know about some job openings?

Thanks all for the replies and help.

Erik

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Immigration and Customs Enforcement is hiring Agents all across the U.S.

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

I think there are also some DRO positions available. DRO is Deportation and Removal Officer.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
First of all be honest about your past. Any past history is fair game as is any social networking sites that you have.

If all is clear for you then start pounding out resumes and networking. If you're willing to leave home the major metro departments are usually hiring.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
If you are looking in a state that allows open enrollment into an academy, get certified. If not, pick out a handful of departments that suit your needs. Look at size, structure, equipment, political climate, PAY etc. Keep in mind that you are not only looking at right now, but for the future as well.

Then, once you have narrowed it down to a handful of departments, start making yourself known. Do some ride alongs. Find a need and volunteer to fill that hole. Before you know it, you will be a fixture in the department, and light years ahead of other candidates.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are looking in a state that allows open enrollment into an academy, get certified.
Sixto,

I checked on Florida, and they offer a "Basic Recruit Certification
Program" that is 843 hours thats offered at a community college?

If I take this course would they accept it in other states? or is
it best to take the course in which state you think that you will
be working?

Sorry for all the questions..this is all new to me.

Erik

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Take it in the state that you want to work. They are all different. Florida is a good place to start IMO. Pay tends to be half way decent in the population centers, and jobs seem plentiful.

Once you have been working for a while, then you can transfer to other states, after you take some legal updates and such.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you intend to stay local in GA, try here:
Georgia Public Safety Training Center
If you could be considered a resident for the last year (even if you were abroad), you may be able to go to an academy "Pre-Service," meaning not being sponsored by any particular agency, and use a HOPE grant to pay for it. That may make you more desirable to an agency as they won't have to pay not only for the tuition but for your salary during training. The basic law enforcement training course would be good for any local department in the state of GA. The Georgia State Patrol is a different program and, as was noted above, every state tends to be different and may or may not recognize training from another state. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Florida State Troopers are begging for applicants...the process is long and involved...I've heard that from a number of individuals...it's start.:smile:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the info/help.

I found a lot of openings in southwest Illinois,
It's close to east St.Louis though :gah:

I grew up in St.Louis, Missouri so I am familar with
that area...the winters in the mid west are not the
best.

Think I'm going to try Florida, first.. I got the name
of the guy who runs the basic recruit program so,
I will talk to him tomorrow by phone and go from
there.

Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I think I can still beat the other recruits on the physical
test and of course the range :image035:
Unfortunately, that doesn't count for much. The 'range skills' might even prove to be a hinderance.
Sell yourself on your people and communication skills I'm sure you have picked up during your travels.

Leave the range stuff alone until later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Erik. Im 21 and just graduated 2 weeks ago from the Basic Recruit Certification Program at KCTIPS/PSC in Polk County Florida. Its ranked high in the state and I was sponsored through the class meaning 1) I was paid hourly 2) recieved benifits 3) was employed. If I were you I would try going the sponsorship/scholarship route. You are given a job after graduation and recieve pay so you don't have to go to school and have a job at the same time. If you have any questions just ask. I was in your shoes 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The hard ass I can whip you attitude of the early 70's when I started has changed. People skills are the most important skills today along with report writing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't forget the fed jobs: usajobs.gov

IIRC the following position (in order) are hiring the most positions this year:

1. CBP Officer
2. ICE Immigration Enforcement Agent <------ Already mentioned
3. CBP Border Patrol Agent

Which is not to say that there are not many other positions under Uncle Sam's rather large umbrella. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The hard ass I can whip you attitude of the early 70's when I started has changed. People skills are the most important skills today along with report writing.
That's because we now live in a society where people are ready to sue the police at the drop of a hat. I even see this all the time in this forum, where members are ready to sue or file complaints against police for doing their jobs or if they feel the officer was the slightest bit rude about concealed or open carry. People have thin skins nowadays.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts