1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Does anyone else suspect the hand of Mr Bloomberg in this situation, or is it just me?

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
What if I unknowingly sold a car to a guy with a criminal record and then he used it for vehicular homicide the very next day. Would anyone be screaming that I shouldn't have sold it to him?
Undoubtedly he/she would have bought the vehicle somewhere else. Used vehicles aren't exactly difficult or rare to find for sale.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,125 Posts
So many people are diagnosed or self-diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome lately with very little symptoms. It has been used as a catch all excuse for someone's actions. If you frequent some of the very liberal forums, about half the people posting mention they have Asperger's syndrome.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
You know what the real crime is? Paying $950 for a Glock.
Yes and a used Glock at that. I was under the impression (perhaps falsely) that prices for Glocks had come down somewhat recently. I for one wouldn't even consider shelling out $950 for a used Glock. Perhaps a Colt or Kimber 1911 but NOT a Glock.

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
Other than the LEO using poor judgment in selling a firearm while on duty, the key to this whole mess is whether she "knew or should have known" the buyer had been committed.

That and that the OP seems to thrive on these conspiracy threads. Lots of time on hand, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
The LEO could have been on her lunch break. Meeting at 4 a.m. at a Starbucks and carrying close to $1000 in case is another issue!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
They met, she asked if he had committed any crimes, and he said “no,” according to Schaller. Conklin sold the man a Glock handgun for $950 cash and gave him a bill of sale, which was signed by both parties.
Nice, I too prefer the bill of sale method (along with each others DL/CWP#). $950 for a Glock, seriously?

Conklin apparently did not know that the man has Asperger’s syndrome, and that last year, he was committed to West Hills Hospital under what is called a “legal 2000” — meaning he was a threat to himself or others, Schaller said.

It is illegal under state and federal law for a person to possess a firearm if he or she was “committed to any mental health facility.” It also is illegal to sell a firearm to someone who has been institutionalized.
I may be in the minority here but I don't think Asperger’s syndrome is a reason to keep arms from and strip away somebody's 2A rights. I also don't think one being suicidal at times is a sufficient reason either. I'm sure the majority of us here know that life isn't unicorn buggie rides, honey suckle tea, and double rainbows. Sometimes people go through some tough times, whether work related or not, and successfully overcome them. And yes, sometimes one might have to enter an institution while in the pursuit to "get back right".

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Even people that are not mentally ill can cause harm to someone, this lady that sold him the gun had no way of knowing if he were a criminal or mentally ill or what all was going on with him. I will agree that the lady took him to the cleaners on the price of the gun ~ now that was the crime!

It seems to me that HIS MOTHER is the one that is looking to point a finger at anyone she can for her son's problems.

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
The LEO could have been on her lunch break. Meeting at 4 a.m. at a Starbucks and carrying close to $1000 in case is another issue!
Still on duty.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Interesting how this disorder is being described as a "mental illness" by forum members. Not all aspergers patients act like Adam Lanza.

Asperger Syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder, with difficulty in social interactions and non verbal communication being the biggest symptoms. In fact, many go throughout their lives without being diagnosed in marginal cases.

There are some high profile people rumored to have this disorder - captains of industry if you will. I'll refrain from naming names, as I don't want to fend off a libel suit.

Think we need to be careful labeling things as mental illness - this is a development disorder. As is dyslexia. As is your hyperactive kid with ADHD.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Asperger Syndrome: Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger disorder (AD), is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical (peculiar, odd) use of language are frequently reported.

Han Solo, in the cantina: "Over my dead body." Greedo tells Han, "That's the idea. I've been looking forward to this for a long time," and Han replies, "Yes, I'll bet you have." blam! blam! blaaaaamamamamaam!

Asperger patient, in a similar SD situation: "Die, you Jedi scum! blam! blam! blaaaaamamamamaam!"

So, what's the problem?

/joking
/sarcasm

* Am not demeaning the nature of A.S. in any way, nor those who suffer from its effects. It can, in many cases, impact a person's ability to deal effectively with others. Can/might, being the operative word. In many, no such impairments exist. Might well be risky, if such folks were to have man-made weapons for defensive purposes, if they're badly afflicted. But then, they too are citizens with the full RKBA, just like everyone else.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Don't you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun?
I thought so... and it's not a state law, but I thought it was in Article 18 of Fedl Laws. Now, I'm going to have to look again.....

·
Registered
938 Posts
So many people are diagnosed or self-diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome lately with very little symptoms. It has been used as a catch all excuse for someone's actions. If you frequent some of the very liberal forums, about half the people posting mention they have Asperger's syndrome.
Did you bother to read the article? The kid had been committed to a mental hospital because he was suicidal a year ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts