Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range for my normal practicing; some days I don’t shoot to bad, most of the time I’m just mediocre, and it seems like so many times I just truly suck. Oh well.

I decided I wanted to try some of my home defense ammo that I had. I had recently read an article that for the best loads for the Glock 17, which is the pistol that I was using. The author claimed that the best load for his Glock 17 was the 9mm +P 115gr DPX. I had some of those plus I had some 124gr Hydra-Shok ammo. I have sighted this pistol to shoot point of aim using the Federal 115gr FMJ. For my practice ammo I have shot the Winchester white box, Blazer Brass 115gr, Remington 115gr, and the Federal 115gr and have not really noticed any particular accuracy or reliability differences.

So for my experiment I was using my Glock 17 shooting standing using both hands shooting at 10 yds. So with the DPX I did not have any trouble with functioning in by G17 but the grouping was not that great and the point of impact was nowhere near the practice ammo poi was. I then tried the Hydra-Shok and was really surprised with the difference. The 124gr Hydra-Shok was shooting to the same POI as my 115gr practice ammo and the grouping was considerable better than with the DPX. There was though a lot more muzzle flash with the Hydra-shok then with any of the other ammo I had.

This was not a real scientific test it was just some dork with his G17 standing blasting away at a target 10 yards away using both hands.

This is in no way criticizing the DPX ammo it just was not the best in my G17 for accuracy. The lesson I did come away with is that each gun has its own idiosyncrasies and that I need to do a lot more testing with my defense rounds and maybe pay a little more attention to the practice ammo as well. I have posted this in a couple of other forums that I frequent if you run across this diatribe.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The lesson I did come away with is that each gun has its own idiosyncrasies and that I need to do a lot more testing with my defense rounds and maybe pay a little more attention to the practice ammo as well.
I couldn't agree more; what works in my Glock 17, in my hands, may work completely different than your G17 in your hands...

Which is why I've always been a proponent of testing one's carry ammo before deciding it's good to go.

Great post!

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's great to experiment with other ammo's to see what is the best for you. Sounds like you've started working the direction of what's best for you. I personally use 180 Gr. winchester bonded pdxi in my G27 and it works great for me. Sounds like your moving in the right direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts