Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nothing I didn't already know.
True for me as well, but it does no harm to be reminded. i carry so that, if one day I'm faced with similar circumstances, I might be able to avoid a similar fate.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
According to Wiki 3 out of the 4 had multiple prior felony convictions. It really goes to show you that a lot of times our justice system doesn't work. At what point does the court system say enough is enough and leave felons like this in jail where they belong?

·
Registered
98 Posts
An all to clear example of the evil that lurks out there. Often we get comfortable in our lives and forget just how quickly our world can get turned upside down. Having been a corrections officer in Michigan I knew of similar cases were it starts out as a robbery and turns into something much darker. That is why you must always be prepared! Everyone should be aware of their surroundings. Carry a hand gun if possible, if not a knife is a very good defensive tool. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that think it will never happen to them because everyone should just live in harmony ( thinking of my young, liberal nieces & nephews ).

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
An all to clear example of the evil that lurks out there. Often we get comfortable in our lives and forget just how quickly our world can get turned upside down. Having been a corrections officer in Michigan I knew of similar cases were it starts out as a robbery and turns into something much darker. That is why you must always be prepared! Everyone should be aware of their surroundings. Carry a hand gun if possible, if not a knife is a very good defensive tool. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that think it will never happen to them because everyone should just live in harmony ( thinking of my young, liberal nieces & nephews ).
Unfortunately IMO it has a lot to do with the fact they are told every day that the laws our government has put into place will protect us and that we do not have to defend ourselves because that is what the police is for and we have nothing to worry about. I also think it is something they are told in school.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also think it is something they are told in school
Say it isn't so..... ( me being sarcastic) You got that one right on the money Glock2201. I guess it is not PC to teach the kids that most of the people are decent most of the time ....BUT .....some of the time these same people can do despicable things to their fellow man and it is your duty to teach them that they can not do those despicable things.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
What did you learn from this?
I didn't learn anything from it, but there are several things a person should have learned from it if they didn't get it already.

A crime can happen anywhere and anytime.

There are people who go driving around for the sole purpose of killing someone, and this case is a classic example.

There is genuine evil in this world.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I'm sorry, the punishment should fit the crime - eye for an eye. This lethal injection or life imprisonment crap is BS. These murderers should be tortured, sodomized and then burned to death just like the victims were.

Stuff like this makes me so mad!:mad:

·
Registered
695 Posts
The only thing I learned from this is that there are some truly evil people in this world. This happened in my home town of Knoxville TN so I'm very familiar with the case.

No one deserves what happened to them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. I would rather die from a bad guys GSW in a shootout than be taken captive with my wife allowed to be raped brutalized and murdered. It's better to die trying to save myself than be put down like a dog.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is no doubt about what happened.There should be no doubt about what should happen next.Because the judge in the case was not up to snuff they got a new hearing with the same outcome. In a case such as this steps should be swiftly taken to be absolutely sure those men never have any chance whatsoever to do anything else.When a dog goes mad there is only one thing to do,and don't be slow about it.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Wow, I've never heard about this until now. :blink:

If this doesn't drive the point home that there sure as hell is genuine evil in this world walking amongst us, sitting beside us, etc. - I don't know what will.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
This was one of the incidents that brought concealed carry into my frame of thinking. There a number of sites out there with statements that if Newsome had a CCW, they would have lived; really it is impossible to know, I tend to doubt it. According to the timeline of facts that has been presented at trial, they were kidnapped, taken to the 'hood, he was raped and sodomized in front of her, taken to a nearby train yard, shot 4 times with a .38 and burned. His body was recovered the following day but Christian was still missing; she was found two days later in the house where the assaults took place the following Monday (they were kidnapped roughly midnight Saturday).

To me, two main lessons are learned from this incident:
1) If you don't escape a kidnapping in the initial seconds (not minutes), you are likely to die.
2) A scenario involving a vehicle is the most likely SD shooting scenario we will face. It will be at extremely close range and will likely be over in 5 seconds or less.

Two applications to training can be drawn:
1) Fight to escape immediately by whatever means necessary, there is no room or time for "well, when X happens and we get to Y I'll do Z", your plan won't hold and you will be dead (literally or practically) by the time you know it.

2) You may have to take the life of another human being to save your own. No matter how much he/she may deserve it, you will feel the long term effects psychologically. If you aren't willing to accept that responsibility then you should not be carrying a weapon.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
The OP's article (posted link) forgot to add all the 'Common Sense' advice given this year by the Colorado Anti-2A politicians to deter an attack............. such as vomiting and urinating.........or that women are just to stupid to own guns ... just saying.

This video is a good left vs. right discussion of the issues as well as has some discussion that agrees with the concepts of the OP's posted article.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
As a C/O in AZ and NV I learned crime does not happen out of desperation but enjoyment. I am not the baddest cat in the jungle, but I will not be their pleasure.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Monsters are real and they walk among us. Be alert and stay armed my friends. This is one of the most heinous crimes I have ever known of.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was a student at UT at the time that this happened.

It definitely taught me the difference between the wolf and sheep mentality.

I am putting on my flame suit here, and please understand that I mean the dead no disrespect, but there were many things that Chris and Channon could have done to avoid being victims.

They were in a not-so-great part of town.
They were caught unaware in a parking lot.
They complied with their attackers' demands.
They made a habit of partying in areas close to campus which were not safe to be impaired in under ANY circumstances. Nothing wrong with partying if that is what you are into, but know where NOT to go.
They were not armed.
They immediately gave up their very best defensive weapon still remaining - a 4000 lb self propelled projectile more commonly known as an SUV.

I am not saying that I could have done better. When I was their age, I did not carry or have my license, but I was well aware of the dangers associated with campus and the surrounding area, and made every attempt to act accordingly.

The evil that affected Chris and Channon has and always will be in the world. The difference between the sheep and the wolves is who acknowledges and is prepared for it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
2) You may have to take the life of another human being to save your own. No matter how much he/she may deserve it, you will feel the long term effects psychologically. If you aren't willing to accept that responsibility then you should not be carrying a weapon.
I agree with you that if you have to question before the fact that you may have to kill someone, you should not carry a firearm. As far as worrying about it, I could not care less about someone who is trying to kill me. In my home, if such a scenario plays out, I have two very definite concerns: 1) Who and how much will it cost to replace the door jamb into my bedroom? 2) How much will it cost to replace the carpet in my bedroom? My defensive scenario consists of a locked bedroom door further secured with a large door stopper, which I will not leave should someone enter my home at night. Since there is no one else in other areas of house, the only "things" in house of value are all insured and replaceable--I am also insured but I am not replaceable and do not wish for my wife to find this out should the BGs be good at their "gun stuff". I will call 911, I will activate garage door, I will activate alarms on cars (lights and horn for police should they arrive in time), I will "set up" in view of that door and if anyone tries to defeat it, they will die--period/end of story--now go back to items 1 and 2 above.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts