Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a current running thread the question has been asked, does an instructor need to have had actual experience to be an expert. As posted my opinion is no.
My opinion is that some instructors can and do pick up as well as do research, I my self have dropped a few nuggets. I know at least one instructor who has used that material.
I'm not asking about statistics, I'm asking about actual nuggets of experience to share.

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
As one who has been targeted (unsuccessfully) for victimization several times, disrupting the aggressors' OODA loop can be the difference between success and failure. I know lots of people dislike the term, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
https://www.dictionary.com/e/expert-social-media-2019/

The word expert has been in use since the 1300s … long before social media was a thing.

It comes from the Latin expertus, meaning “to try” or “experience.” But in modern times, expert applies specifically to “a person who has special skills or knowledge in a particular field.” An expert is typically someone who specializes in a subject, to the extent that they are considered an authority. They’re someone who can engage with a subject from multiples angles and who has developed their knowledge over time, through a combination of research and experience. That cultivation takes time, lots of time, to develop.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Reactions: dp1911 and G-man*

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Practical demonstration of the skills being imparted work for me.
“Instructors” can basically steal money from people when they demonstrate something and their audience is too inexperienced to know what they are looking at. Not saying that’s always the case, but it is sometimes.

Reactions: Mike1956 and G-man*

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Some knowledge may certainly be imparted without the experience.

I have counseled people and helped them to die peacefully, and I'm still kicking. I have counseled people about drug and alcohol addiction, yet I've never been an addict. I have comforted grieving parents who have lost a child, yet I've never lost a child myself.

On the other hand, when I sought flying lessons, I made certain the instructor was a real pilot.

My cardiologist learned heart surgery with an experienced surgeon at the table.

I have a friend who is a Spelunker. He learned about the dangers of cave exploration from an experienced Spelunker. He learned about the geology of caves from someone who had never set foot in a cave.

So, for me, the answer is both yes and no. Some instruction may be gathered from those with no experience in the concrete. Other knowledge is only obtained from those who have been there and done that.

Be careful who you entrust your life to.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
At the risk of sounding silly, I never want to hire a plumber who is not an "expert" to unplug a stopped-up toilet. I think you can smell the difference.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
“Instructors” can basically steal money from people when they demonstrate something and their audience is too inexperienced to know what they are looking at. Not saying that’s always the case, but it is sometimes.
Exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
What does that mean, exactly?
There is a lot to be gained from practical experience, typically LEO or military, who have been well trained and used that training on a routine basis, either on the street or in armed conflict. I find them more credible than someone who hasn't actually practiced what they preach.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
People who are teaching based on experience doing it.
OK, I'd like to respectfully challenge that. I know some of these are over the top, and I am not doing that to be disrespectful. But the "experience beats skill" argument does lead to some interesting questions that need to be considered:
  • Here's the big question: If you have that experience, to what extent can you transfer to students? Is a student who has been trained by an experienced gunfighter really any better prepared than a student trained by a someone with no gunfighting experience? Is that "in the moment, killer instinct" transferable?
  • Is there not a danger that having a trainer who has been in a particular kind of gunfight, say gunfights resulting from traffic stops, might only develop proficiency in students for that kind of gunfight?
  • Is the grandmother down the street who successfully shot an intruder more qualified to teach a defensive shooting course than say, someone like Grant Cunningham?
  • If gun trainers who have been in gunfights think this is important, why don't they put their body count on the landing page of their website? Why aren't their articles like, "The ten instructors who have been in the most gunfights?" Shouldn't this site have a stat in our profiles: "Join Date...Location....Posts...Number of gunfights? Are we who are looking for training and advice supposed to just go on rumor?
  • How are we supposed to verify an instructor's claim that he has been in X gunfights? Just because he said so? Should he provide copies of police reports? I think there must be some "stolen valor" out there.
  • How many instructors can claim this? I would say it would narrow the number or trainers down to so few trainers that there would hardly be enough training available for people who wanted it. We might as well not go for training unless we can find an experienced gunfighter.
  • Should instructors be rated for some combination of: Number of gunfights? Number of kills? Number of bad guys? Some complexity factor, like range, number of shots fired, criminal records of the bad guys? Should they lose points if they got shot in the process?
  • How does police shooting experience stack up vs. military experience, vs. civilian expedience?
  • What about people who have been in a lot of gunfights, but have no teaching ability, who can't even organize a class? Are they still better instructors than someone with no experience who can do those things?
  • Here's an off the wall thought: Just like the security industry sometimes recruits former criminals to teach law enforcement personnel, why don't we recruit former hitmen from the Mafia and MS-13 to teach shooting classes? I mean, they all have experience and it would give them employment to rehabilitate them. Win-win! Based on the experience criteria, they should be top notch!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts