Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming by its size that it’s a very soft shooting .380. How is concealability? I would be mostly pocket carrying. I’ve heard before that it’s right on the edge of comfortable for pocket carry.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I comfortably pocket carry the G43, so the G42 should be a piece of cake.

Any gun being pocket carried requires a "get used to it" period, regardless of size. If you are committed to pocket carry, you must give it some time before it feels right. Guarantee you that the first time you pocket carry you will swear to God an alien is growing in your pocket. Pay it no mind and tough it out. If you can't pocket carry a G42, you are doing it all wrong.

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'd agree that it is right at the edge of too big for pocket carry. That said, it's nice to have a bit more gun to hang onto - most pocket 380s are tiny. You could load it with hot Underwood ammo and have a pretty hot little pocket gun that doesn't quite reach 9mm power levels.

That said, the trigger is slightly worse than the normal clunky Glock trigger. I put one of the reduced weight connectors in it and it is now pretty much comparable to my G19.

If you want a huge .380, I guess it's ok.... It is the size of a 9mm. Why bother?

Compare https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g42-vs-ruger-lcp-ii
It's virtually identical in size to the Kel-tec PF9 in my pocket now. The PF9 also cost ~$160 and has a much better trigger than the Glock.

I bought the G42 for my wife, and I am seriously considering selling it and getting something else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I picked up a Glock 42 about a month ago for the sole purpose of having a lower recoil option for the recoil sensitive shooters I train. It offers me an in-between from a .22 pistol to a larger 9mm Glock so its not as much of a jump. I agree that's a bit large for pocket carry but it can be done, especially if you wear Wrangler brand Riggs Workwear jeans. Those front pockets are big enough to fit a Buick inside. The coin pocket on the right side is nearly large enough to conceal a Ruger LCP.

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I tried one out at the range along with a S&W Bodyguard. IMHO it’s too large for pocket carry compared to the rest of the small 380s. It shot great, and at first I did better with it than the BG. After a box of shells I could shoot the BG almost as well at 10 yds (YMMV). As already mentioned, there are a number of 9mm offerings the size (or smaller) than the 42 unless recoil is a problem for the carrier.... For pocket carry....I’d look elsewhere....

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I'd agree that it is right at the edge of too big for pocket carry. That said, it's nice to have a bit more gun to hang onto - most pocket 380s are tiny. You could load it with hot Underwood ammo and have a pretty hot little pocket gun that doesn't quite reach 9mm power levels.

That said, the trigger is slightly worse than the normal clunky Glock trigger. I put one of the reduced weight connectors in it and it is now pretty much comparable to my G19.

It's virtually identical in size to the Kel-tec PF9 in my pocket now. The PF9 also cost ~$160 and has a much better trigger than the Glock.

I bought the G42 for my wife, and I am seriously considering selling it and getting something else.
I might consider a Keltec PF9, but I'd need to buy 2 of them -- one to get familiar with at the range, the other for carry. I don't trust Keltecs for more than about 200-300 rounds (if it's one without assembly line defects to begin with).

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I tried it on a two hour rental. My views:
  • too big for deep concealment, the advantage of a 380.
  • too hard to rack for 380, and 380 uses are often to be women or men with hand weakness.
  • awful ergonomics.
It is safe to assume that I did not like it.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
Being a woman I do not have any normal pants that will pocket carry any gun, but I have found that my G42 prints less than my SIG P238's when worn IWB in Kydex at around 2:00 .........translated to shooting left handed means I carry at 10:30 more or less.

The G42 is seriously hard to rack. My strong husband agrees. He shoots the larger Glocks and says the 42 slide is definitely stiffer. I have to use a HandiRacker.

My original 'first production' 8# trigger pull model 42 went back to Glock and they replaced about 10 parts, now giving me a 6# trigger pull, but it is still stiff and a bit "catchy" at the way forward reset point. One thing I found out last time I was at the range is that the 42 now throws hot brass straight up to hit my cheek when I try to shoot from the hip. If I shot right handed this would not be a problem. The Glock is not the softest shooting .380 although it is softer than several others, but mostly those others are tiny and weigh less.

The SIG's are a dream. They are ultra easy to rack and the SA action trigger pull is so much smoother than the G42 trigger that I do not notice that the trigger pull is actually a pound heavier as measured on my trigger gauge. Yes, the SIG's cost more than a Glock, and for some reason the grip feels a tad smaller even with the 7 round magazines with the pinkie extension on the bottom. I shoot both the same as far as size of groups on a target.

The SIG's are more challenging to take apart and put back together (field strip) for cleaning than my 42. I do not detail strip any of my guns. I leave that to Gramps if it ever needs to be done.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I am assuming by its size that it’s a very soft shooting .380. How is concealability? I would be mostly pocket carrying. I’ve heard before that it’s right on the edge of comfortable for pocket carry.
I have a G42 that I bought for my wife after we tried a bunch of firearms I own as well as a number of rentals at the range. She can comfortably rack it, and can shoot it very well, especially with the green laser CT lasergrip (her vision is rather poor). With a Magguts kit, it's 7+1 rounds of 380. I find the gun is VERY accurate, and VERY soft shooting, especially for a small gun. I would have no problem carrying it.

There are a few downsides as far as my experience goes:
1. It's just too big for pocket carry for me. I may just have small pockets, but I'm a 6'3'' 200lb guy, and the only gun I can comfortably pocket carry is my CW380 Kahr, and that gun is quite annoying to shoot and requires careful maintenance and ammo selection to be reliable. I have to practice regularly, and can't shoot more than 50 rounds out of it before it starts frankly hurting my hands. For the first couple of magazines it's excellent however, very accurate with the upgraded sights, and the terminal ballistics are fine with the Critical Defense 380ACP.
2. It's quite susceptible to limp-wristing. Perhaps because the return spring is rather soft (which lets my wife rack the slide), but we had to work on her technique to avoid numerous FTFs. It's never had a malfunction in my hands, which makes me think it's the wrist.
3. The P365 is the same size and the same price, and carries 10 rounds of 9mm. When I bought the G42 that gun didn't exist. I primarily carry the P365 now, where I used to carry the Shield 9mm. If I'm going to carry a gun on my belt, I may as well carry the P365.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might consider a Keltec PF9, but I'd need to buy 2 of them -- one to get familiar with at the range, the other for carry. I don't trust Keltecs for more than about 200-300 rounds (if it's one without assembly line defects to begin with).
Yeah I’ve always heard Keltecs are hit or miss.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I had a 42 for 10 mins ..And sold it ..Yes it is a nice enough gun but it is way way to big for a 380 with a single stack mag ...No way you can pocket carry it easily ..Plus the 43 is the same size and well...

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Buddy has one; I can’t stand it.

Way too small for my hands...can’t get a proper grip on it, it skews to the left no matter what I do.

Much prefer my 238, or a Bodyguard.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Being a woman I do not have any normal pants that will pocket carry any gun, but I have found that my G42 prints less than my SIG P238's when worn IWB in Kydex at around 2:00 .........translated to shooting left handed means I carry at 10:30 more or less.

The G42 is seriously hard to rack. My strong husband agrees. He shoots the larger Glocks and says the 42 slide is definitely stiffer. I have to use a HandiRacker.

My original 'first production' 8# trigger pull model 42 went back to Glock and they replaced about 10 parts, now giving me a 6# trigger pull, but it is still stiff and a bit "catchy" at the way forward reset point. One thing I found out last time I was at the range is that the 42 now throws hot brass straight up to hit my cheek when I try to shoot from the hip. If I shot right handed this would not be a problem. The Glock is not the softest shooting .380 although it is softer than several others, but mostly those others are tiny and weigh less.

The SIG's are a dream. They are ultra easy to rack and the SA action trigger pull is so much smoother than the G42 trigger that I do not notice that the trigger pull is actually a pound heavier as measured on my trigger gauge. Yes, the SIG's cost more than a Glock, and for some reason the grip feels a tad smaller even with the 7 round magazines with the pinkie extension on the bottom. I shoot both the same as far as size of groups on a target.

The SIG's are more challenging to take apart and put back together (field strip) for cleaning than my 42. I do not detail strip any of my guns. I leave that to Gramps if it ever needs to be done.
Great post. Also, the cost difference is shrinking - I have seen the base model P238 for $389 recently and I suspect the Springfield 911 is in the same league as the P238 at ~$400 all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Buddy has one; I can’t stand it.

Way too small for my hands...can’t get a proper grip on it, it skews to the left no matter what I do.

Much prefer my 238, or a Bodyguard.
Of the 2....which do you prefer...if you could only have one​?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I own a 238; I do not (currently) own a Bodyguard.

If that answers your question...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I own both and carry the BG380 far more often. It's smaller and lighter than the SIG, and the only time I break out a 380 pocket gun is for absolute max concealability, so the BG gets the nod. I also like a good DAO trigger about as much as a SAO trigger, so I'm fine with either in that regard.

That said, I'm hoping my PF9 will take over that duty, as it is only a tiny bit bigger than the BG380. We'll see.

I should add that I find posts in other forums where people dismiss the BG380 as inherently problematic. Mine has been perfect so far, but I have to say those posts have eaten at my confidence a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I own both and carry the BG380 far more often. It's smaller and lighter than the SIG, and the only time I break out a 380 pocket gun is for absolute max concealability, so the BG gets the nod. I also like a good DAO trigger about as much as a SAO trigger, so I'm fine with either in that regard.

That said, I'm hoping my PF9 will take over that duty, as it is only a tiny bit bigger than the BG380. We'll see.

I should add that I find posts in other forums where people dismiss the BG380 as inherently problematic. Mine has been perfect so far, but I have to say those posts have eaten at my confidence a bit.
Interesting....I have not read (extensively) about the BG, but haven’t come across a lot of negatives on it. I need to read more apparently.

Reactions: drmordo
1 - 20 of 33 Posts