Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see where a well-known armorer in Virginia is now selling PRV ammo for $35 per 50 round box. This ammo was $11 last summer. Sleep well, my friends. :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Let the gouging begin!

You came to the party late... It's been horrific for months............

Reactions: Fisher10

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
$35 for a 50 round box isn't too bad by today's new price gouging standards. I have enough ammo to last a good while, so I'm not going to buy any more until prices become more normal again, not that I expect them to completely go back to pre-panic levels.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I nearly passed on some American Eagle 9mm that was $20/50. That's twice what it cost a year ago. But...in the end I caved and picked up five boxes. Felt a little stupid but I was headed to the range and wanted to keep my reserve up around the 1k mark.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Lesson learned: Should have stocked up and have had ample supply to carry you through times like this.

It happened to me once when I first got into guns and vowed it would never happen to me again. I've not had a need to buy anything gun related since 2007.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I still have Remington .22 LR 50 round boxes that I paid .$0.70 per box in 1977, .38 special that I paid .$3.49 per 50 rnd box, and thousands of rounds of .40 cal that I paid $6.99 per 50 round box in 1990/91, but I am one of those nasty hoarders but today's prices has no effect on my shooting whatsoever. I must admit that I did participate in a group ammo buy in july 2012 and bought a large amount of domestic and foreign surplus military rifle ammo, but have bought no ammo since. . I made a mistake on the .22LR ammo many years ago, I dumped most of it, with the exception of 20 boxes, into .50 cal ammo cans for ease of storage and threw the cardboard boxes away....

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
Lesson learned: Should have stocked up and have had ample supply to carry you through times like this.
What is your idea of an ample stock? Without any extra practice I go through about 3000 rounds a season just for match ammo. Some of us do not have endless supplies of money for buying pallets of ammo on speculation.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just saw this ...What a deal ....

22LR Ammo Lapua 40gr Midas Plus 500 Rounds-A Brick of 22LR ....:aargh4:

Our Price:
$249.99
SKU:
Brand:
Lapua
Current Stock:

Ammunition Store.com

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
And if the ammo is not costing him more, that is a big rip. But do we know what he has to pay for it now, to put in his store and make available to us. His cost go up too, so his profit margin could still be the same as when he was selling it for 11.00 a box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is no way I am going to pay $60/box of 9mm target ammo. Just let their inventory build up and the prices will come down.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What is your idea of an ample stock? Without any extra practice I go through about 3000 rounds a season just for match ammo. Some of us do not have endless supplies of money for buying pallets of ammo on speculation.
No offense but try cutting the cable, cell phone, vacations, and other non esential spending. Personally I feel one should have a 3 year ammo supply on hand at a minimum to get through situations like this or more importanly A true SHTF situation.

You guys that have not prepared with proper ammo supplys will likely be complaining when food shortages hit and the grocery store is gouging for that bag a beans and rice. Stock up now. A 50 lb bag a rice can be had for $20. You will really be compaining when you go a few days without eating. I challage all to go on a three day hunger strike and then think about proper food storage.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I see where a well-known armorer in Virginia is now selling PRV ammo for $35 per 50 round box. This ammo was $11 last summer. Sleep well, my friends. :mad: :rolleyes:
I do. I don't purchase at those rates. Works for me. And it apparently works for those who are prepared to pay such prices. Everyone's happy. Except, of course, those who didn't see it all coming and who have burned through the stash to the point of needing much more.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am one of those people who doesn't have any ammo. Well about 100 rounds or each of my guns. But I am new to shooting and had no reason to buy 9mm ammo before about a month ago when I bought my weapon. That said, I will keep my 100 rounds and not pay these prices either. I am a very patient person.

I HATE WAITING.:frown:

Reactions: Oldpsufan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just a question and I don't mean to be rude but how do you know I have not prepared ? I have . I just think $249 for 500 22LR in any load is way out of line. Oh and I'm good to go on the food :) And yes I know don't buy it then...I wont. :) Just like in any shortage situation some people take advantage always have always will .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I actually have more .380 target ammo than 9mm. I wish it was the opposite. I only have one .380 weapon and that's a Ruger LCP. When I go to the range I only shoot about 25 of the .380, the LCP is not a great range weapon. 50 rounds is tough on the finger.

·
Registered
541 Posts

You guys that have not prepared with proper ammo supplys will likely be complaining when food shortages hit and the grocery store is gouging for that bag a beans and rice. Stock up now. A 50 lb bag a rice can be had for $20. You will really be compaining when you go a few days without eating. I challage all to go on a three day hunger strike and then think about proper food storage.
I'd rather hunt, forage and fish myself. Some of us haven't lost our survival skills without the need to be hand fed by grocery stores.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New as well, but if you look around ammo can be found in stores at reasonable prices. I've scored 9mm at a few Walmarts for $11/50, a few LGSs for approx. $13-$16/50, and have paid as much as $25/50 for heavier loads. I buy my max when I find good prices (typically no more than 3 boxes), and have a little stash so that when I want to shoot 100 or 150 rounds, I do. I feel that's enough to develop and keep my (limited) skills sharp, considering what I use my weapons for.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ample stock for my needs and lifestyle differ from everyone else's. That is for each to decide for themself. I'm certainly not well off financially, but it makes it easier to afford things like ammunition through choices made. I handload all my ammunition, except rimfire, and cast all my bullets. I haven't shot jacketed bullets in years. I don't shoot competitively anymore, maybe fire a couple hundred rounds a month including rimfire.

These are per thousand (K)
Bullets $15
Primers $15
Powder $13
Brass practically free by amortizing cost over the useful lifetime

So I'm paying $43 per K rounds of .357 Magnum to load myself. Powder for hunting loads jumps up to $20, so cost to make a K rounds is only $50. I've got enough on hand to load about 100,000 rounds.

I'm not swimming in money, but I made choices that make it easier to afford what I need.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts