Defensive Carry banner

Fess Up!! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

• I have

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have not

Votes: 138 74.2%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

I'm guilty. I've bought maybe 300 rounds of 9mm's, 200 rounds of .223's and 100 7.62's in the past few months over what I consider enough for me to have on hand and shoot when I want to.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I bought about 300 rds of .45. IDK if I need any more than 3 mags worth, that I carry, but NEED, has never been the name of the game.

Or are you referencing "I bought .38s but don't own a .38"?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I actually found pre-panic prices on .38 spl 158gr lswc, go I picked up 1000 rnds (yes, I do own firearms in that caliber). Need? Well I'm replenishing a little bit of reserve that I had dug into... I'm not sure that counts as 'need' though. :dunno:

Other than that, I haven't bought a single round this year.

{edit} I just realized that I lied. I picked up a few misc boxes at a gun show recently. 'Didn't need any of it, but it was good prices in hard-to-find calibers. This is how I normally buy ammo. I'm always in buying mode because I'm always in shooting mode.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been buying anything in 9mm and 380 I see. I don't need it right now, but if I run out I will need it. If it was readily available I would not buy everything I see. I'm afraid of wanting to go to the range and not finding ammo.

I have about 4,000 rounds. I'm not hoarding, I'm shooting at the range and taking a class that requires 1,500 rounds.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A guy I work with was having some financial problems and had to sell his Sig M400. He had 300 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 left. I was nice enough to take it off his hands for 40 bucks! :danceban:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sorry but everything I buy is what I need! Either for training others or my personal training.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I usually keep 1000rds of ammo in most calibers on hand. I don't think that's hoarding. I just like to be able to take a class or go shoot whenever I want without having to go to the shop first and roll the dice with their current inventory. I shoot some of it then I replace it. I've set limits to what i'm willing to spend during this stupid shortage and that has certainly curbed my ability to replace what I shoot. I've purchased 400rds of 5.56/223 and 100rds of 9mm this week though at 50 and 28 cents per round though. 50 cents a round for 5.56 isn't great but its not far from pre December prices either. 28 cents for 9mm was for CCI aluminum.

I'll walk away from ammo I don't need or that I seem to be able to readily get but lately I've been buying my limit because the prices seem to have dropped to near reasonable limits around Louisville and I'm shooting more again. .

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The only ammo I don't need is ammo for a caliber I don't own. I don't buy that. Any ammo for a caliber I own is ammo I need, regardless of quantity.

·
Premium Member
39,190 Posts
"Need" is a very subjective concept. For clarification, I have never bought ammo which it was not my intention to shoot at some point.

Reactions: BamaT

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I hoarded before the craze. :danceban:

Reactions: BamaT and wmhawth

·
Registered
541 Posts
I buy anytime I see a box of 45acp at decent prices. I've bought around 300 rounds or so in the last 2 weeks at pre panic prices just by happening to luck onto it in various stores. I'm no hoarder by any means, but I'm trying to get where I can keep a 500 round reserve without having to pay gouge prices.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
A guy I work with was having some financial problems and had to sell his Sig M400. He had 300 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 left. I was nice enough to take it off his hands for 40 bucks! :danceban:
That's .13 a round. Where's that pesky Don't Like button.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have not seen any ammo in calibers I use to be able to buy any since November. I currently have less than 2 years supply that the DHS deems necessary to keep on hand.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Only ammo I cant make is 22LR,as far as everything else I have enough powder and primers for about 50,000 rounds

Reactions: elmacgyver0

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
1 - 20 of 88 Posts