Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You walk into a gas station convenience store, turn to your right to get a fountain drink and to your left and parallel to you is the counter. You see the perp walk up to the counter, pull a gun (you can plainly see the gun), point it at the clerk and demand that he give over all the money or he'll be shot. You can see things going down, but are partly hidden behind the corner of the isle. If you bolt for the door, he can move his gun about a foot and shoot at you, so running basically isn't an option.

What would you do in this scenario? You know the perp will see you on his way back out of the store and he will most likely still have his gun drawn.

Here's a pic I drew of the scenario convenience store so there's little confusion.

-Erik

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Duck down, pull your gun, and hope he just takes the money and runs, try to get a good description of the BG and be a good witness to the robbery, only shoot if he points the gun my way.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
He's already shown me enough.By telling the clerk that he would shoot him, and having the means to carry out the threat,the BG just signed his own death warrent. OBTW,the clerk looked "in fear for his life" to me. I'd draw and come around the side of the counter. If the BG didn't drop his weapon immediately and/or started swinging it in my direction he'd be dead. If you hide,the clerk gives the BG the money,and then he shoots the clerk how will you feel in the AM? How will you explain your actions to the clerks family? How will I explain it to the BG's family you ask. Trust me,easily. In Fla-Dah,the "in the commission of a felony"thing comes into play. --------

·
Registered
742 Posts
If possible

If aisle does not dead end, move to the end of the isle, and as above in BCurry1 reply.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Problem is,If he sees you on his way out and points his weapon at you,Clerk is going to be in your line of fire!In reality aisles are normally open on both ends,If that were the case I would probably hide behind the end of the aisle, pissin my pants with my weapon drawn.I think in your scenerio you had better act now.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Eric - very similar to a scenario I painted elsewhere a coupla years or more ago - based in fact on one of my local gas stations.

Keeping max concealed will be priority, even to extent of seeing what might even provide any better cover - probably not much of that. I would for sure have gun drawn and perp in sights, showing as little of self as possible - which might mean looking over top of aisle - at which point I have some serious decision making to do - and fast.

The assessment of perp, his demeanor, nervousness - many things - some way to try and tell if he is a shooter or a threatener. Heaven knows tho how to be sure on that one.

Very likely once he is in sights a verbal challenge - LOUD - from that he will determine his fate because in an instant you could fire if he comes to your direction not just looking but swinging gun.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Easy. Duck down with my Weapon drawn in Con 1. Sit still, remain calm and wait for perp to exit the premis. If he discharges his weapon, or points his weapon at me while he's leaving the scene, I'd make my decision to take him down!

Looks like the CQB distance is within 21 ft. My Kimber UC is "dead-on" at that range!!

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
by proning out you can change your angle of fire, and not shoot unless you are given no other chance. also laying flat , you look like less of a threat, are less noticable and potentially a smaller target. Also most folks look eye level or near, not up or down naturally.

·
Registered
70 Posts
RSSZ said:
He's already shown me enough.By telling the clerk that he would shoot him, and having the means to carry out the threat,the BG just signed his own death warrent. OBTW,the clerk looked "in fear for his life" to me. I'd draw and come around the side of the counter. If the BG didn't drop his weapon immediately and/or started swinging it in my direction he'd be dead. If you hide,the clerk gives the BG the money,and then he shoots the clerk how will you feel in the AM? How will you explain your actions to the clerks family? How will I explain it to the BG's family you ask. Trust me,easily. In Fla-Dah,the "in the commission of a felony"thing comes into play. --------
This would be the way I would play it.
Once he threatened grievous bodily harm he sealed his fate, I could not risk the fact that he wouldnt decide to go off & shoot everyone in the building, Once he crossed the line he has forced me into a situation of having to react. I could not live with myself if i just hunkered down hoping he would quietly leave after he recieved the money.. To watch him pull the trigger & drop the clerk when I could have done something before he shot would be a disaster & I believe that if you carry a weapon, it is to protect yourself & ANYONE around you that may need assistance.

Ask those people in the McDonalds down in Cali.... You cant , because no one had a firearm to stop that idiot,

Sorry......... Rant over...

This is my 1/2 cent take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe that I'd use surprise as my advantage before the BG becomes aware of me and do my best to take him out quickly. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he shot the clerk just because he wasn't moving fast enough or complying with his demands. Every video recording I've ever seen of these types of robberies shows these BG's as violent, edgy to the max and willing to hurt someone if everything doesn't go down as quickly as they want. And sometimes they don't want witnesses. And even if I waited until the BG started his exit and then saw me, I'd be so pumped that if he just turned to look at me I'd probably nail him not wanting to be beaten to the draw.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Eric,
The way that you have it drawn, I would draw my weapon and ready myself as much as possible to shoot. Other factors including shelf height, ability to see through the shelves, and what was on the shelves (to provide cover, is it boxes of Wheaties or #50 bags of sand), others in the store and their positions. If he seemed in ANY way to be going to shoot anyone, it's time to end his threat! If he turned to leave (w/o shooting clerk) it's time to loudly tell him to drop his gun and if he didn't do it right then, I'd shoot him dead.. WHY? because as drawn he'd pass across MY only escape route, see that my weapon was out and most likely try to shoot me at that point.. If I can help it, that ISN'T going to happen. They may or may not try to burn me in court, but at least I'd be alive to try to defend myself!!:mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Clean-up in Aisle 1"

:rolleyes:

I'd seek cover (and concealment)...if it wasn't available, I'd stand ready to call for a "Clean-up in aisle 1".

But only if I perceived that the perp was going for me...if he's heading for the door at full speed I'd call the police on my cell phone (almost as important as my gun) and give them the details. Not the police and not a hero unless I need to be.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Coyotes - I too would like to use cell but - the one thing that could make this totally impracticable is sound - either the phone might beep dialing or you may have to speak loud enough to be heard - all that may be possible is get connected to 911 and leave line open.

To speak and describe scene could give away your position plus - you would not be as prepared should things go south in a hurry. Fine in principle but - just wondering about the practicalities!

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
I believe that I'd use surprise as my advantage before the BG becomes aware of me and do my best to take him out quickly.
I agree with exposurecontrol, use surprise to take the BG out and end the situation. He is a threat to the clerk and me, and shouting a warning gives him too much of an advantage.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Shoot from cover if possible, or shoot very quickly from the corner of the aisle if not. Either way, the threat will be neutralized and quickly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Reread my 8:20PM post..
At the time I'd command him to comply he'd already be in my site picture, if he didn't comply immediately, he's dead.. He decides if he dies, not me! If you fire on him while he's still covering the clerk, you'd better make it a CNS shot (and hit what your aimming at), or he may very well shoot the clerk out of sheer reaction..

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
When the gun appears, the situation is alarming but unclear. I will assume every time that a brandished gun will be used, but there is the theoretical possibility that it's a police officer arresting the clerk.

His display of the gun indicates he will shoot; when his speech makes it clear that he's executing armed robbery, I shoot. Based on the diagrams, there is no one else lined up with the robber.

The store losing money is irrelevant to me---it's the potential shooting thing. I will not give him an opportunity to kill the clerk, me, or anyone else present, or to take any hostages.

I would not shout "drop your weapon", probably technically illegal anyway since I am not a police officer. I have seen it written elsewhere that if you have time to think about whether to shoot, you probably should choose not to do so. This one requires no thought, at least for me. If I couldn't visualize a situation in which I would use a pistol, I would not carry one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rather than waiting for his reaction if he were to see me as he exited the store, I would attempt to act proactively. After moving to the end of the aisle for for concealment/ coverage, I would then proceed to place the red dot of my CT Laser Grip in a spot on his body the BG would clearly be able to see,(center of mass) while simultaneously LOUDLY demanding that he drop his weapon. If he then made the poor choice of, (or appeared to be) bringing his weapon into a firing position , I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot. In this case, I believe being proactive wins over being reactive. Would the laser give him a definite target? Maybe, but I'd like to believe I wouldn't give him that opportunity. Scenarios such as this are easy to plan one's course of action, when in fact we all realize we don't know exactly just how we'd react until actually faced with such a situation.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's great that we all have our opinions on what should be done or shouldn't be done (me included), but that 99.999% of us won't ever have to put those opinions into use! We can be glad we're in the USA or that percentage could be much lower..
Take care shoot straight..

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, Ref your post #13 above;this is why I teach "NO FREAKIN' VELCRO". A rather quiet snap is one thing but trying to access any weapon or weapon associated equipment that you have to tear away velcro is just plain insane.-------

1 - 20 of 43 Posts