Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Methinks this is just another threat where an OP makes a statement for the sole purpose of disagreeing with any opposing comments, rational or not. If so, it needs to be wrapped up. I get enough--I'm right, you're wrong--from the libs.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
You're right about that, about hands not being registered as lethal weapons, at least I've never heard of them being registered as such, as you said its Hollywood.

However, the fact remains that hands can be deadly weapons with or without any training.
The bottom line is that almost anything can be a lethal weapon if correctly employed. In fact, the absence of many things can be used as a deadly weapon: water, air, food, etc. Hands are in no way unique.

"...but my question is if you choked them as opposed to shooting them the fact that you didn't use a gun or any other kind of weapon would make some difference no matter how small."

Actually any difference that could not be measured is not really a difference worth mentioning.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Methinks this is just another threat where an OP makes a statement for the sole purpose of disagreeing with any opposing comments, rational or not. If so, it needs to be wrapped up. I get enough--I'm right, you're wrong--from the libs.
I’m reminded of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. Except these are lobbed more like grenades to set off disagreements.

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
We seem to be having a fair share of them lately. Like those other threads, this one will either die shortly or get twisted into a lengthy and worthwhile conversation.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
We seem to be having a fair share of them lately. Like those other threads, this one will either die shortly or get twisted into a lengthy and worthwhile conversation.
Or worthless, and endless twist of "What ifs." The answer to the OP's question, as stated in multiple manners, is: It depends. But what if . . .

·
Registered
522 Posts
So anyway I would think in court the fact that I used my bare hands instead of a gun would carry some weight in my favor. If I seriously injure or even kill a bad guy with my bare hands, and by bad guy Im obviously talking about somebody who attacks me first or who otherwise instigates, I could say in court that I didn't use any weapons and that I certainly didn't use guns, I would hope that would help me out in court.
Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. A prosecutor could flip that situation on its head and argue that you gave someone a merciless beating and continued long after they were no longer a threat. The situation will come into play as well. If someone tries to shoot you, you punch them and they die, you will probably be ok. If someone punches you, you punch back and they die, you are in a deep pile.

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. A prosecutor could flip that situation on its head and argue that you gave someone a merciless beating and continued long after they were no longer a threat. The situation will come into play as well. If someone tries to shoot you, you punch them and they die, you will probably be ok. If someone punches you, you punch back and they die, you are in a deep pile.
Fortunately, real life is seldom that black and white.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Killing is killing no matter how you do it or what you use to do it so I would think the fact that you killed somebody, whether you shot them or choked them, is going to be what matters the most by far, but my question is if you choked them as opposed to shooting them the fact that you didn't use a gun or any other kind of weapon would make some difference no matter how small.

When guns are involved, that's when it seems the courts go crazy.
Can you explain to me how you choke someone to death without them passing out first? Once they pass out and are still alive, would the threat not have ceased without them being dead?

Ever watch MMA or other things where choke holds are used or used one yourself? Those folks don't generally die, and the person doing the choking certainly realizes when there is no more fight left in the choked..

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Personally, I have been investing in a few different melee weapons to have as alternate options for defending myself. From what I understand here in Texas melee weapons or unarmed combat to defend oneself from a direct attack is not an issue even if it results in serious damage to the attacker but that may not be the case in other areas of the country.
Not certain where or when you took your carry class in Texas, but you really should go back and relearn some of the statutes. I stopped teaching several years ago, but I was certain my students got all the law they needed.

(3) "Deadly force" means force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.

(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:

(A) blackjack;

(B) nightstick;

(C) mace;

(D) tomahawk.

BTW, carrying your melee weapon any place that you are not allowed to carry your firearm legally with a permit is exactly the same offense.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

·
Registered
681 Posts
BTW If I'm not mistaken, the "My hands are registered as lethal weapons" stuff comes from Hollyweird. I'm certain that in my state at least, there are no registries of lethal weapons whatsoever.
I know that the statement about hands being registered as lethal weapons is just somebody spouting off, most likely someone who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Even though no such registry exists, I'm sure that a prosecutor could find information indicating a defendant was for example promoted to black belt in some martial art. That kind of information is usually in the local newspapers and probably mentioned on social media.

Along the lines of the question originally posted here I just wondered if a prosecutor might try to use that information against someone with training when they defended themselves. I'm thinking of a disparity of force argument in which the defendant is painted as a trained killer to the jury. Civil or criminal juries can be fickle and prosecutors will try to show defendants in the worst possible light.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Even though no such registry exists, I'm sure that a prosecutor could find information indicating a defendant was for example promoted to black belt in some martial art. That kind of information is usually in the local newspapers and probably mentioned on social media.
So my son who got is black belt in Taekwondo at age 11 or 12 is supposed to be considered some sort of deadly weapon?

He is about to turn 18, weighs in at just over a buck 35 or so, and hasn't done any Taekwondo in about 5 or 6 years.

Him vs one of my clients who is about 6'8" and literally fills a doorway when he walks through it, has arms the size of my legs, and hands that can cover a dinner plate. Luckily he is a super nice guy from all I have seen.

I will take a fight from my snot nosed 18 year old any day.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts

BTW If I'm not mistaken, the "My hands are registered as lethal weapons" stuff comes from Hollyweird. I'm certain that in my state at least, there are no registries of lethal weapons whatsoever.
I think you may be right. When I moved here I went to the police station and asked for a "Lethal Weapons Hands Registration" form. They looked at me for a moment, and told me no such form existed.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
My ex-son in law (thank the good Lord he is EX) used to crow about all his training and belts from years in martial arts. He even boasted that he could take "anyone, anytime."

That went on until he got his backside handed to him by a mugger / thug in a city park. He wound up in the hospital. There were crow feathers all over that hospital room. A number of folks who had endured his boasting openly sneered at him.

I used to think I was tough until I got married. Don't ever tangle with an enraged momma bear protecting her cubs. :confused:

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
My ex-son in law (thank the good Lord he is EX) used to crow about all his training and belts from years in martial arts. He even boasted that he could take "anyone, anytime."

That went on until he got his backside handed to him by a mugger / thug in a city park. He wound up in the hospital. There were crow feathers all over that hospital room. A number of folks who had endured his boasting openly sneered at him.

I used to think I was tough until I got married. Don't ever tangle with an enraged momma bear protecting her cubs. :confused:
The Universe is always listening.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts