Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well the first dog my wife and I got was Kilo:

He's a German Shepherd, obviously, and we think pure-bred. We picked him up from a local GSD rescue agency. He was an adult when we got him, 2-3 years old, and had some real anxiety issues. Would lose his mind if he even heard another dog barking. Very alert to danger in and out of the house, but so much so that it caused him some problems. We did some training and actually got him on medication. That's gotten him to a much happier place, though between that and the additional aging since we've had him he's mellowed out a bit and isn't quite as alert as he used to be. Still very playful, protective when need be, and all that, but doesn't alert to every little sound like he used to.

But that's OK because, through some miracle, a little pup (and I mean tiny, he weighed three pounds) showed up in our driveway one day, and after a week of keeping him separate from Kilo and trying to find his owners or find a new home for him, Kilo magically decided that this pup was going to be the one dog in the world that he'd accept and take under his wing. Poor guy was covered in blood, emaciated, and had an awful case of worms. We weren't sure he'd survive when we took him in.

So now we have a Nano (because he was so small we called him that as a joke, but he was responding to it by the tie we decided to keep him) to go with our Kilo, and they're best buds. Nano and Kilo make a great team because, while Kilo doesn't alert as much as he used to, Nano alerts to anything unusual at all. And while Nano is a complete scaredy-pup, Kilo backs him up as the muscle and teeth of the duo. They're two very good boys and make a great team, for guarding the house and everything else.

I love how Nano mocks BG's by sticking his tongue out at them. :rofl: That's awesome!

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is our little guy, Charlie. He'll bark at anything.

Whenever he thinks he hears a bump in the night, I'll get up with him to clear the house so he feels at ease.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That would suck to get your butt kicked by a hotdog. I love the look on his face "seriously Dad"

·
Registered
691 Posts
in some posts (post # 17 and #30 for example), the attached pictures are apparently attached as a link of some sort
when I open the link, I get this message:

"vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

This happened to me the first time I posted my pictures, then I tried again and the picture was visible with no link involved, as are most of the pictures in this thread.
Does anyone know why?
Yes, if you use the "Post Quick Reply" button and post your picture that what you are talking about happens and no one can see your pic. Instead of using that method, click on the "Go Advanced" button and insert your pics from the menu in there and it will work. This has been brought up to the Admin and I think someone worked on it but it is not working properly.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sam (foreground) and Sally at the pond. View attachment 222833
Holy Cow ETXhiker, they look just like Mika May (in post #10, this thread)!!!!!!! :smile:
Do you know what breed(s) they are?
Though we were told Mika is a Cattle Dog/Border Collie at the rescue (certainly believable), I'm awaiting the results of a DNA breed test for her.

·
Registered
480 Posts
in some posts (post # 17 and #30 for example), the attached pictures are apparently attached as a link of some sort
when I open the link, I get this message:

"vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

This happened to me the first time I posted my pictures, then I tried again and the picture was visible with no link involved, as are most of the pictures in this thread.
Does anyone know why?
Or if you're like me and try and figure out the hardest, most unproductive way to do things....

After you hit "quick reply", just swipe over it and delete the attachment and then insert it again from that page. It'll work. But ya, Okeechobee is right.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Holy Cow ETXhiker, they look just like Mika May (in post #10, this thread)!!!!!!! :smile:
Do you know what breed(s) they are?
Though we were told Mika is a Cattle Dog/Border Collie at the rescue (certainly believable), I'm awaiting the results of a DNA breed test for her.
Yes, Kukla, they do look just like her! I meant to comment earlier on Mika May. I think maybe when they said she was part "Cattle Dog", they meant Blue Heeler. Sam and Sally are mixed breed, but the vet said they were Blue Heeler (which is a breed that works cattle) and something else. The black masks on their faces and the black spots on their skin is the giveaway. They are very smart, very sweet dogs. I'll bet Mika May is too :smile:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes, Kukla, they do look just like her! I meant to comment earlier on Mika May. I think maybe when they said she was part "Cattle Dog", they meant Blue Heeler. Sam and Sally are mixed breed, but the vet said they were Blue Heeler (which is a breed that works cattle) and something else. The black masks on their faces and the black spots on their skin is the giveaway. They are very smart, very sweet dogs. I'll bet Mika May is too :smile:
Smart & Sweet, that's exactly right!
Red Heelers, Blue Heelers, and Queensland Heelers have all been recently lumped into one category: Cattle Dogs
Here's a link to the rescue that Mika came from, that explains that & more about them..............
https://arizonacattledogrescue.org/

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Smart & Sweet, that's exactly right!
Red Heelers, Blue Heelers, and Queensland Heelers have all been recently lumped into one category: Cattle Dogs
Here's a link to the rescue that Mika came from, that explains that & more about them..............
https://arizonacattledogrescue.org/
Cool link, thanks, Kukla. I saw some very familiar looking faces on that site!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
15910312_10202427080953719_1447922970_n.jpg 04-26-16 115.jpg

Well, they're not on guard duty in these pictures, they're doing their other jobs. But the gals sleep on the side of my bed every night.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The one with 4 feet pointed towards the Heavens is Sadie. She stays awake ALL night watching out that window and if something happens or moves outside she will let me know in a flash. She will also deter any visitors if she is out at night. She sleeps most of the day and I guess she figures she has the night watch and I have the day watch. I kinda like it that way.

The other larger dog is Molly and could care less about anything with two legs but loves to hunt anything with four legs. She rarely barks at all. Never have heard her growl except when she was dreaming.

DSC00038.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
We have several dogs. My Border Collie is like me, old, stove up and slow. Like me, he likes naps--a lot.

But my sweet wife's newest Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross is full of spunk and bred to be a guard dog. One of her favorite spots is to go to the loft and look out this window above the front door. IMG_20170115_164601881_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
100_0323.jpg 100_0332.jpg
Not the best picture of my Dobie, but it's hard to get her to stand still! The little black & white dog is a MAJOR watch dog! He will go on alert status if there's a noise 50 ft. away outside house (when he's inside)! They make a good team.

·
Super Moderator
21,912 Posts
View attachment 223154 View attachment 223162
Not the best picture of my Dobie, but it's hard to get her to stand still! The little black & white dog is a MAJOR watch dog! He will go on alert status if there's a noise 50 ft. away outside house (when he's inside)! They make a good team.
The little black & white dog looks like a Labrador that's been "chopped & channeled"! :wink:

41 - 60 of 79 Posts