Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of mine:

It is a steel fire door I got from work and added pipe legs to. I like the idea of a metal bench since powder can't get worked into the surface over time, causing a potential fire hazard.

On the left is the MEC9000 in 20 ga for loading skeet rounds, and on the right is the Dillon 550B.

Missing from the photo are some cabinets up above that I picked up from the local Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Let's see yours.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Just a word of advice----Be sure you ground that steel loading bench!!! A static charge can/will build up and could cause a great surprize.

You REALLY dont want to see my bench!!!!!! It is a thing of beauty to me---for all others it is a horrible eyesore. The wife has standing orders not to touch anything on that bench for fear that it may never be found again.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Seems we had a similar post a few months ago. Still fun to see everyones set up though,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just dug out my Grandpa's reloading equipment, and started setting it up today when I happened upon this thread.

Trying to make due with the small space I have available to use.

Any suggestions on equipment to look at adding? Should be getting some money for christmas/birthday for shooting stuff, might want to add some new stuff to my reloading setup after I get back into it. I do enjoy the single stage press as it forces me to focus on exactly what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I find the Lee Turret press a very good deal for the money, you can do about 150 pistol rds an hour and about 60-100 rifle. It keeps you involved in the process and you learn a lot.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Any suggestions on equipment to look at adding? Should be getting some money for christmas/birthday for shooting stuff, might want to add some new stuff to my reloading setup after I get back into it. I do enjoy the single stage press as it forces me to focus on exactly what I'm doing.
A cheap roller tool box for storeage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just dug out my Grandpa's reloading equipment, and started setting it up today when I happened upon this thread.

Trying to make due with the small space I have available to use.

Do you have a powder scale? If not, you might want to consider getting one to check your powder measure against. I've seen powder measures that have been way off depending on the powder used.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you have a powder scale? If not, you might want to consider getting one to check your powder measure against. I've seen powder measures that have been way off depending on the powder used.
Yeah, this is what I have for a scale. Seems to work alright.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would invest in a quality digital scale. With a single stage press you are hand weighing each charge, and the digital scale makes it a bit easier. I just use a spoon to take some powder out if necessary to dump into my trickler. Always remember to have the scale at zero when starting and in between rounds. After awhile you kinda get the feel of how much to remove with the spoon if your powder thrower is older and isn't as accurate, and if you load alot of handgun caliber (3.5g-6g) the powder thrower will have a harder time throwing that low of a charge too. Be careful because .01-2grain can make a big diff between a reg load and a max load. I use a single stage for this reason, I may make ammo alot slower than some of the progressive systems, but I have alot more control over seeing what goes into each and every round, and therefore having more uniformity. And the best part you learn to appreciate the ammo you shoot more becuase of the time investment you put into making it, and therefore just don't blow through 300-400 rounds at the range. I am fortunate enough to be able to use a facility that i can draw/fire, move around, shoot on move, setup idpa scenarios. I walk out having only shot maybe 100 rounds for each caliber (9, .45) but still having had a worthwhile muscle memory training session!

J

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
That old Lyman (Ohaus) scale is awesome, you will be hard pressed to find one better. I used one of those for years, wish I could remember where it went to so I could get it back. I still use a balance beam scale for all my loading. Have a digital and the only thing I've found it useful for is weighing bullets. You'll find with a digital if you breath on it it changes, if the heat comes on it changes, if the air comes on it changes, to me they are a pain in the butt. If you decide not to use that Lyman let me know what you would take for it and I'll give it a good home.

·
Super Moderator
19,811 Posts
Where do you get those Red Bins I have been looking for those EVERYWHERE.
Akro-Mils is the "definitive" supplier of the stackable bins with the lip on the back for hanging on wall fixtures. They are the source for the ones Dillon sells, but if you buy a dozen or so at a time they are way cheaper than Dillon or most retail outlets. Grainger and McMaster-Carr industrial supply houses are good sources.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts