Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like after about eight years I am going to get back into 9mm. I used to keep my SIG 226 loaded with Corbon 115 JHP which I felt at the time were the best defensive rounds in that caliber. Are Corbons still the best defensive ammo for the 9mm or have others surpassed them?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
''Best'' is very much down to personal perception in part - but probably we can say that most good quality factory stuff is worthy of consideration.

I choose 124 +P GD's myself.

For some very useful comparison info go visit Steve Camp's site and look around - he has done a lot of very useful tests.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
i would say gold dots or corbon dpx myself , but realisticly any good hp with shot placement is fine

·
Registered
108 Posts
I carry Winchester Ranger 147gr in my Glock 19. They performed very well in every test I have seen online, and the soft recoil aids in fast accurate follow up shots.
The downside is you can't buy them at the local sporting goods store, although there are good sources online. M.A.H. supplies is where I order from. $18 for a box of 50 and fast shipping.
As long as you go with a quality name brand load you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When I carry my 9mm I usually have it filled with federal hydrashoks or remington golden sabers. Both have proved reliable in my gun and are very accurate. I'd say the "best" is whatever hollowpoint functions the best in your gun with good accuracy. For the most part modern hollowpoints perform fairly closely. Bullet weight is the most deciding factor for 9mm I've found. I like the lighter bullets to keep velocities up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winchester USA JHP 147gr, or Winchester Ranger 147gr.

I'm equally confident in both. As someone else mentioned, Placement trumps wonder bullets every time. :smile:

IGF

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's almost a chore to have to decide. There's so many to choose from that perform really well. I'm rotating my carry ammo about every 6 months and have a lineup of ammo to try. Right now, it's the Hornady TAP red box stuff, but next time it's the CorBon DPX. Here's my favorite flavors in no particular order:

Speer Gold Dot
Win Rangers/Silvertips
CorBon DPX
Rem Golden Sabers
Fed Hydroshocks
Glaser Safety SLugs (at home)
Hornady TAP
Win FMJ (range)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree that most of the current 9mm HP's will do the job. However, according to most statistics the lower weight/higher velocity rounds do have more energy.

BTW, welcome aboard our forum to post #7, IndyGunFreek.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a question about 9-mm with a shorter barrel. I carry an XD9sc and worry that the three inch barrel won't produce the foot pounds and penetration necessary if that day comes that I have to shoot. I know it would not equal the round from my service model, but is it enough?

-- Richard

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi RKirk. I to have the same gun and was wondering about the shorter barrel. I currently use 124 gr remington golden sabres and wonder if the velocitie out of the short barrel will do the trick. The standard pressure goldens are super accurate out of my gun but wonder on the velocity. Maybe Ill just use the +p round and give up just a little in accuracy for more power. Just my thoughts have a good one.

Sixgun

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have a Kel-tec P11 and a Taurus Millenium 9mm.

Gold Dots feed perfectly in both of them. :smilez:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
hydra-shoc and gold dot are both good ammo. find the ammo that will shoot in your gun. that will be the best ammo to carry.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to brag guys, but I just got the SIG P228 today. I'm going to shoot some +p 124 Remington Golden Sabers to make sure they function in the gun.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. I know the gun and ammo will function well from this gun, I wonder about the effectiveness of the bullet from a short barrel. I plan to carry Golden Saber as my round of choice. I think it is the carry round for the Tulsa PD. Does anyone know of testing using different barrel lengths shooting the 9-mm cartridge?

-- Richard

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. Though not from an XD, here are some velocities I obtained (10 shot averages fired 10' from the chronograph screens) using a Glock 26. Perhaps they will be in the same general "ballpark" velocity range:

Glaser 80-gr. (Silver)
Average Velocity: 1514 ft/sec

Corbon 115-gr. DPX +P
Average Velocity: 1181 ft/sec

Federal 115-gr. JHP
Average Velocity: 1111 ft/sec

Hornady 124-gr. XTP (TAP)
Average Velocity: 1100 ft/sec

Corbon 125-gr. JHP +P
Average Velocity: 1188 ft/sec

Winchester 127-gr. +P+ (RA9TA)
Average Velocity: 1246 ft/sec

Best.

·
Registered
361 Posts
9-mm Velocities

Stephen A. Camp said:
Hello. Though not from an XD, here are some velocities I obtained (10 shot averages fired 10' from the chronograph screens) using a Glock 26. Perhaps they will be in the same general "ballpark" velocity range:

Glaser 80-gr. (Silver)
Average Velocity: 1514 ft/sec

Corbon 115-gr. DPX +P
Average Velocity: 1181 ft/sec

Federal 115-gr. JHP
Average Velocity: 1111 ft/sec

Hornady 124-gr. XTP (TAP)
Average Velocity: 1100 ft/sec

Corbon 125-gr. JHP +P
Average Velocity: 1188 ft/sec

Winchester 127-gr. +P+ (RA9TA)
Average Velocity: 1246 ft/sec

Best.
Stephen :congrats:

That is great information. The ft/sec is higher than I thought it would possible from a short barrel pistol. I now see why everyone recommended +P ammo. Thank you everyone for the quick replies. While I have confidence in any well tested compact gun, this input puts to rest any doubts about carrying my XD-9sc. This is a great forum. I hope I can add to the powerful collective pool of knowledge in the future.

-- Richard

1 - 20 of 33 Posts