Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running Heine Straight 8 sights on my EDC Glock 26. I do like the ease of the 2 dot system, but here's my issue: Heine has a smaller front sight width of like .124 with the Tritium dot very small. This front sight washes out quite often for me with my old eyes and makes acquiring kind of a slow process. I have the Trijicon HD's on my Glock 19 and its much more front sight friendly but not a huge fan of the 3 dots. Guess I'm gonna have to compromise somewhere, but I 'm looking for opinions on the Ameriglo I Dot Pros and TruGlo TFX Pro.
Pros and cons from users may help my decision on which way to go with this for best results. I think the HD's & I Dots fronts are the same width---both wider than the Heine's.....
Thanks for any constructive insight !!!!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Well, if you don't like the 3-dot system, the Tru-Glo probably won't do you any favors. I don't know, I've tried lots of different sighting arrangements, and my eyes like a red dot these days. It's incredibly simple, easy to pick up in a hurry and, depending on brightness settings on some models, useful under quite a lot of lighting conditions (of course Tru-Glos are too).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Old eyes here, too. Vision is is still fairly decent but there's no escaping the loss of contrast older eyes exhibit.

My preference is for a front tritium vial surrounded by a white ring combined with a plain black rear that has enough width to allow good light bars for my eyes over 60. I currently run .140 width front tritium (Meprolight). My rear sight is also a tritium - 2 dot - but I've blacked them out and opened the sight channel to .170. That differential works well for my eyes, arm length and sight radius of the 938. Its a strong system for me in good light and transitional light.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I also really dislike three dot sights especially in night sights as three dots floating around is very slow to acquire for me. Having a very bright or different color on the front helps but, still a distraction. After trying Trijicons, XS big dots the one I really like on my EDC G43 are Ameriglo CAP sights. Large bright square green paint around a night sight (front only) The rear sight is black with only a small green painted horizontal line. I find if I can pick up the front fast I don't need anything on the rear. Having shot more revolvers in my life I prefer a square front in a square notched rear.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I am slowly switching everything over to HD's. The snag in this is that I can't find a sight pusher insert for my P320.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I installed a set of XS Big Dot sights on my G30S. I have old eyes too and yet I find these very easy to pick up, even in the dark. You do have to use a slightly different sight picture, but it is very intuitive. Just put the big dot COM.

Matthew03...have you looked at one of the universal sight pushers?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not mentioned in the OP request of specified sight systems but my preference 10-8 brand with the front night sight and the plain "U" notch rear sight.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not mentioned in the OP request of specified sight systems but my preference 10-8 brand with the front night sight and the plain "U" notch rear sight.
Looked at those, but wouldn't be any different than what I have. Need more painted surface and possibly bigger tritium in the front....
thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the I-Dot Pros on my Shield and I like 'em quite a bit. Fast to acquire, accurate.
Does the front sight pop out fairly well in daylight ?? How's the tritium vials in dark conditions ??
Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Biggest downfall of the Truglo TFX Pros is how much real estate they take up on the slide. You loose quite a bit of sight radius with them. Not such a big deal on a 17/19, but I put Trijicon HDs on my g43 to keep my sight radius as long as possible. Both sights are good, just depends how much sight radius you want, what colors you want your sights to be, and whether or not you want Fiber optic as well as tritium.

I run the TFX Pros on my G23 and I do enjoy them, but I equally enjoy the Trijicon HDs on my g43. It's all personal preference.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Biggest downfall of the Truglo TFX Pros is how much real estate they take up on the slide. You loose quite a bit of sight radius with them. Not such a big deal on a 17/19, but I put Trijicon HDs on my g43 to keep my sight radius as long as possible. Both sights are good, just depends how much sight radius you want, what colors you want your sights to be, and whether or not you want Fiber optic as well as tritium.

I run the TFX Pros on my G23 and I do enjoy them, but I equally enjoy the Trijicon HDs on my g43. It's all personal preference.
Thanks for that...it was a bit of a concern with the TFX for my G26.

Reactions: BackcountryGuy

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've always liked the Ameriglo iDot Pro with the Pro-Glo front. Ledge rear for manipulations one handed. Straight 8 sight picture that is less confusing in low light, and the painted fronts Pop in decent lighting.

Have them for my Glocks and Shield. I wish they would make them for the HK P30/VP9.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Currently running Heine Straight 8 sights on my EDC Glock 26. I do like the ease of the 2 dot system, but here's my issue: Heine has a smaller front sight width of like .124 with the Tritium dot very small. This front sight washes out quite often for me with my old eyes and makes acquiring kind of a slow process. I have the Trijicon HD's on my Glock 19 and its much more front sight friendly but not a huge fan of the 3 dots. Guess I'm gonna have to compromise somewhere, but I 'm looking for opinions on the Ameriglo I Dot Pros and TruGlo TFX Pro.
Pros and cons from users may help my decision on which way to go with this for best results. I think the HD's & I Dots fronts are the same width---both wider than the Heine's.....
Thanks for any constructive insight !!!!
I currently have Trijicon on both my P99 and P226. I purchased the orange HD's for my P99, but my used P226 had HD's with the yellow dot already installed when I bought it. I have no problems with the tritium rear dots in the daytime because I only use my front sight, unless I'm shooting 25 yards or more. If I'm shooting in low light, the rear tritiums come in handy, I can imagine how lining one dot above the other may have and advantage over three dots. If I were purchasing new sights, I may go to I-Dots simply because they're cheaper. However, if my income at the time warrants, I just may try Heinie Straight 8 Sights! My income varies..........a lot! On the bright side, my lamps are bright at the current time, and replacement is several years away.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've always liked the Ameriglo iDot Pro with the Pro-Glo front. Ledge rear for manipulations one handed. Straight 8 sight picture that is less confusing in low light, and the painted fronts Pop in decent lighting.

Have them for my Glocks and Shield. I wish they would make them for the HK P30/VP9.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I know its preference---but your thoughts on Red vs Green on the front ????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts