Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
And of course every powder by Alliant is "out of stock" no back order. I still find it highly suspicious that powder and primers are virtually nonexistent in the market place.
I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say it's a "communist plot"!

Reactions: airslot and demanic

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say it's a "communist plot"!
Well, it just seems interesting, because there are several different manufacturers of powder here in the US and ammunition itself has become more available. I find it hard to believe that components haven't come back on line as well. They can't all be being used to make factory ammo. That just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
well......if the ammo makers made sizeable orders for primers....by the millions....then they are first at the trough......

i can see the majority of cci primers going to speer and Hornady
remington primers going to remington ammo (are they even making primers and ammo yet?)
federal primers going to federal ammo....
etc, etc, etc....take care of in-house orders first from for the parent company...and mega contracts less you want to lose the contract.

they don't really care if midway orders a pallet of primers when they are shipping it by the freight car load to the ammo production lines as fast as they can produce....

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
well......if the ammo makers made sizeable orders for primers....by the millions....then they are first at the trough......

i can see the majority of cci primers going to speer and Hornady
remington primers going to remington ammo (are they even making primers and ammo yet?)
federal primers going to federal ammo....
etc, etc, etc....take care of in-house orders first from for the parent company...and mega contracts less you want to lose the contract.

they don't really care if midway orders a pallet of primers when they are shipping it by the freight car load to the ammo production lines as fast as they can produce....
I will add, there are most probably "contract's for these item's". NOT only loose "your place at the trough", but maybe legal ramifications.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And of course every powder by Alliant is "out of stock" no back order. I still find it highly suspicious that powder and primers are virtually nonexistent in the market place.
There are some powders that are commonly available pretty much whenever you want to order them. Seems like pretty often Powder Valley has a few Accurate powders in stock most of the time, and usually some Alliant, typically 1200R, 4000MR, and Varmint. Occasionally even some Unique. Also some Ramshot and Vit powders usually available there as well. Same goes for Natchez and Midsouth.

Primers? Forget it.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
There are some powders that are commonly available pretty much whenever you want to order them. Seems like pretty often Powder Valley has a few Accurate powders in stock most of the time, and usually some Alliant, typically 1200R, 4000MR, and Varmint. Occasionally even some Unique. Also some Ramshot and Vit powders usually available there as well. Same goes for Natchez and Midsouth.

Primers? Forget it.
Well, Unique would be better than nothing. How about primers? I'm guessing very limited and very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
Hodgdon is selling powders directly from their web site on an as-available basis. Quantities are limited and you'll pay full retail, but at least they are making it available. I was able to get another 8 pounds of Titegroup and a pound of 748 last month. So far, I haven't found tat availability is in any way predictable, e.g., first week of the month. Buddy up with a friend and split the hazmat fee.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Well, Unique would be better than nothing. How about primers? I'm guessing very limited and very expensive.
A handful of times over the last 4 months Ive seen some of the less popular stuff, like Large Rifle Magnum Match primers for sale, but none of the stuff like Small Pistol/Rifle that we all want in bulk.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
A handful of times over the last 4 months Ive seen some of the less popular stuff, like Large Rifle Magnum Match primers for sale, but none of the stuff like Small Pistol/Rifle that we all want in bulk.
Is that because ALL of the production is being directed to the major manufactures?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That would be my guess, but then you would expect that stuff like powder and bullets would be equally impossible to get.
there are a lot of different calibers, bullet weights, bullet materials......and many types of powder.

primers are a much more narrow specific component with limited substitution choices...literally the weakest link or choke point in the supply chain....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts