Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occurred to me that I had never considered whether my insurance would cover me should I ever become involved in a shooting incident. Since we have a swimming pool, I carry $1 million liability coverage, which is what is recommended in our area to cover pool related accidents and drownings I guess I had assumed I woul be covered. This is an area that I am clueless about. Does your homeowner's insurance cover this type of incident? Do any of you have any "special" insurance in force specifically for this? I don't think that homeowner's insurance would cover this if the incident occured away from home, even if it did cover it in the home. What say ye? Do we have any insurance agents in the house?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tiem to call my home owners policiy holder. I will do that today and write back. Damn good question Bumper. I know we have a $2Million umbrella as we have to big dogs, so I am thinking that may be covered under that portion of our policy but I do need to souble check.

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
BassDaddy, that info is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I do have a call into my home owner and I am now seriously concerned on this issue.

~A

·
Registered
274 Posts
My personal umbrella policy says the following:
"We do not provide coverage for:
A. Bodily injury or property damage that may be reasonably expected from or is intended by the conduct of the insured. However, this exclusion does not apply to an act committed to protect persons or property."

So it looks like I am covered. In addition, the base home owners policy the personal umbrella policy is attached to, covers loss of firearms by theft up to $4000 at no additional cost.

I would have to say my insurance company (Westfield Insurance) is gun owner friendly.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
rtroha, where is your policy did you look for that info?

~A

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I checked with my agent about a month ago, I have all insurance through State Farm and carry the minimum to allow a $1,000,000 umbrella because I have 90 acres of premo hardwoods full of deer and turkey (totals out about $1,350,000 on the liability) and he said unless I was robbing a 7-11 or something I was covered. As I am scheduled for some knee surgery in an hour and a half I intend to get conformation from the "Home Office" during my down time.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The umbrella policy mentioned is what to look for. A general purpose umbrella liability will cover you for just about anything other than your own blatant criminal activity

1 - 10 of 10 Posts