Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is 17 and a junior in high school. She has a teacher that is VERY anti law enforcement and radically anti guns and concealed carry. He sent a letter home notifying parents he would playing a video "Bowling for Columbine" due to its graphic nature. He also took the liberty to play several other movies that bash the NRA, law enforcement and anything to do with guns. If I take my daughter out of the class she wont graduate as this is a required civics class. The teacher is also brasin enough to tell students that they can complain to their parents but it wont do any good. Most students are afraid to say anything as they fear if they do it will reflect in their grade. He also tells students that no matter what happens he will "WIN" so it is useless to complain. Parents have complained in the past and the school district has not taken any action to stop or change what the teacher is doing.

I personally have had contacts with this same teacher while working as Chief of Police. Several years ago I arrainged to have the drug dogs taken through the school. While this was going on the teacher would holler comments in the hallway that we were violating students civil rights and making illegal searches.

My daughter tries to voice her opinion but is basically told she does not know what she is talking about. I have two more kids going to go through this same class in the next few years. Given the situation what would you do with this matter???

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Somehow your daughter has to bite the bullet until she is thru - and depend on the good council of your teachings. Same for the younger ones. Explain the difference between an agenda and actual down-to-earth logical facts.

That &%*@#$ must not and will not WIN however much he thinks he will - tho heaven knows sad to say - there will be a good many students that will probably think he has a solar aperture :frown:

·
Super Moderator
23,595 Posts
"Choose your battles wisely, my friend" Enemies have long memories and tend to be vindictive. If my experiences with public school administrations and teachers taught me anything, it was that I had to have the facts, the law and the regulations supporting me, or a Phyrric victory was guaranteed. It's his opinion and nothing more. You'll just need to counter his dogma at home.

I may get totally flamed here, but this fight is not worth the wounds your children will suffer. The sins of the father are visited upon his children.....

Sorry for my negative answer. This is a good opportunity to teach your children about playing "politics" and the harmful effects folks like their teacher can have. Make him an example of "that other kind"....

·
Super Moderator
25,540 Posts
As much as it hurts to say, I'd be very careful.

You are not going to change this guy's mind, and he can pretty much screw up your child's grade point and hurt college chances. Probably your best bet has been suggested, the school board!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Talk with the other parents and if there is enough support with them than show a united front with the school board. One or two complaining will usually not get much response. But with a large number of voters , the board are elected officials are they not, saying we need a change you may stand a better chance.
Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
IMO, if your daughter speaks up on her own and has her rights violated - go to the wall for her, but don't pick the fight yourself.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Can you opt your child out of some of these movies? You may not be able to get her to change classes or change the "teaching" practices of this person, but if you object to her watching some of this filth on the grounds that you don't want her seeing the objectionable stuff perhaps that would help.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I agree with mike & rock and glock both.

Choose your battles carefully, but show a united front with other parents against this SOB.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you as a parent decide that class content is unsuitable for your child, the instructor has to provide an alternate option. The whole reason he has to send a note is so that you as a parent can object.

Fundamentalist Christian parents often pull their kids from Biology during the discussion of evolution. Jehova's Witness parents pull their kids during westling, they consider it a combative.

Tell the principal that if your kid doesn't graduate, you'll sue the district. After that wacko recently here in Colorado I bet they'll listen.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like a call to the NRA might be in order. Do you think they might have some attack dogs to unleash? That way neither you or your daughter get pegged. Might be worth a call.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
You might also try a call to the media. There was that kid recently in Colorado that taped his Geography teacher spouting off on how Bush is like Hitler. The more people like us remain silent, the more these liberal/fascists will become emboldened. But before you go to the media, make sure you have documentation.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Typical.....his agenda is sacrosanct...but any other is not.

·
Super Moderator
23,595 Posts
bentcursor said:
You might also try a call to the media. There was that kid recently in Colorado that taped his Geography teacher spouting off on how Bush is like Hitler. The more people like us remain silent, the more these liberal/fascists will become emboldened. But before you go to the media, make sure you have documentation.
I would not do this except in a anonomous fashion (which is unlikely to garner much attention). The press will not paint a flattering portrait of a protesting parent, and unless you trust and have a iron-clad promise of confidentiality, you'll be "outed" as a "gun-nut, right wing" parent - to the detriment of your kids. If you move forward - do it only with documentation, as recommended above by bentcursor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would just like to say that it is rediculous to use the word "liberal" as you would the word "asshole" or "dumb ****". To say that someone is liberal, in the way that most americans do, is like saying they are terrible human beings or un-patriotic.

However, it makes me sad that the only way to get around this situation without harming your children is to just let it slide and bite the bullet. Sounds like this teacher has the same problem as a small percentage of police officers do...he needs to be in a different profession. He has a hard on for politics and propaganda, not for teaching children. He needs to get out of teaching altogether so he does not damage anymore young minds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hagphish- I understand your sentiment. While the teacher in question may very well be a liberal, the real problem is that he's anti-gun and pig-headed.

Huckster gets a pass from me, I would be emotional too if it were my child.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
In idaho we have the choice of what school our children will attend. If me I'd have her take that one class in another school without that teacher. If enough students do this, the teacher wouldn't have a job.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can tell you one thing.

Im a newspaper reporter, and if this thing happened in my community, Id be all over it.

You can stop this, IF you are willing to embarass the school board.

Get comments from professional law enforcement, get the NRA or GOA involved, and get it in the paper. Turn the letter over to the paper, and allow your daughter to go on the record as to what the teacher said.

Give me a week, and I could stop this in my town.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts