Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been rather a long time since I’ve been here, and I thought it might be nice to catch you all up a bit. The Recon family has had its ups and downs over the past several years, but in general, we are doing okay. The kids are growing rapidly, and we are trying to enjoy all the time we can with them.

The biggest news, and the item that has required the majority of my focus, is the rapid deterioration of my wife’s hearing. She has always been hard of hearing, but had enough residual hearing to cope by lip reading and paying close attention to the speaker. About 2 1/2 years ago, she contracted strep and wound up with a rather severe case. Her fever spiked to 103 degrees and she was very nearly hospitalized. That fever destroyed nearly all her remaining hearing, leaving her practically deaf. These past two years have, accordingly, been spent learning a new language, and adapting to a new culture. We are doing well with it so far, and intend to keep on keeping on...

-Recon1342

·
Vendor
1,537 Posts
It’s been rather a long time since I’ve been here, and I thought it might be nice to catch you all up a bit. The Recon family has had its ups and downs over the past several years, but in general, we are doing okay. The kids are growing rapidly, and we are trying to enjoy all the time we can with them.

The biggest news, and the item that has required the majority of my focus, is the rapid deterioration of my wife’s hearing. She has always been hard of hearing, but had enough residual hearing to cope by lip reading and paying close attention to the speaker. About 2 1/2 years ago, she contracted strep and wound up with a rather severe case. Her fever spiked to 103 degrees and she was very nearly hospitalized. That fever destroyed nearly all her remaining hearing, leaving her practically deaf. These past two years have, accordingly, been spent learning a new language, and adapting to a new culture. We are doing well with it so far, and intend to keep on keeping on...

-Recon1342
Keep on loveing her and keep on going, I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Those big health changes and the choices/decisions that come with them can easily overwhelm a person if you let them. Roll with the changes and continue to enjoy what you are able rather than lament what you no longer have.

Has been 2 years since my wife was moved to an assisted living facility as she had progressed to a point where I was no longer capable of caring for her here at home.
That decision was difficult, but we continue to do as much as possible as a Family.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Recon, thanks for popping in with an update. I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles but I admire your commitment to handling these in such a positive manner. Adapt and overcome; we will be here whenever you feel like sharing.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry to hear that. Does the total loss of hearing mean that she is not a candidate for cochlear implants? I don't know much about them, so I have no idea who may or may not benefit from them.
CIs are a hot button topic in the Deaf world right now. If Mrs Recon were to elect to have them done, it would be an all or nothing proposition. If something goes wrong during the implant process, whatever residual hearing exists gets completely destroyed. Based on that, and the fact that it would be classified an elective procedure, we have decided as a family to forego implants. All of us are learning ASL, which is a stunningly beautiful language, by the way, and we are slowly assimilating into Deaf culture.
My wife and I are enjoying the journey rather a lot; Deaf culture is vibrant and expressive, and extremely blunt. We fit right in...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I can relate to your wife's issue. When I was an infant, I ran 104 temp. for an extended period. It damaged my hearing, and it has never been good from that time on. Growing up, also, hearing protection for shooting, was not used. Then in the 60's & 70's I attended many loud concerts. I also worked as a machinist for decades, and it was then I found out how bad it was getting. The company I worked for keep two "full time RN's", to test us, every six months. I did protect what I had left, and actually got somewhat better, by running ear plugs AND earmuffs. I knew at some time, my hearing would go south, so I too, when to ASL school in Houston. I had already become adept at reading lips, as that's how I managed to make it through school without people realizing my inabiltity to hear well. I'm sorry for your wife's hearing loss.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, Pete. No need to be sorry, though. Like you, my wife’s hearing was damaged in early childhood. I’ve known this day was coming since I married her, just didn’t plan on all of her hearing going away at once. It’s opened up a wondrous new world to my wife, who no longer needs to worry about whether or not she heard something correctly. She is, mentally speaking, much less exhausted after a night out with Deaf friends than after a night out with hearing friends. I’m perfectly Ok with that...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Pete. No need to be sorry, though. Like you, my wife’s hearing was damaged in early childhood. I’ve known this day was coming since I married her, just didn’t plan on all of her hearing going away at once. It’s opened up a wondrous new world to my wife, who no longer needs to worry about whether or not she heard something correctly. She is, mentally speaking, much less exhausted after a night out with Deaf friends than after a night out with hearing friends. I’m perfectly Ok with that...

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Sorry to hear of her issues (no pun intended) but glad to hear the two of you are adapting and moving on in life.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Blessings to you both!

And also congratulations for learning new skills, meeting new people and always adapting and making the best of what life brings your way.

No "poor us" coming from your direction - just "LOOK and see what we can do now - with emphasis on "WE" - most excellent.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
You are a good spirit Recon1342. Keep taking good care of that girl and good luck with the ASL. You're both gonna do fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts