Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly every thread here has someone claiming "crime/violence is getting worse and worse..."

So I just wanted to point out....

Actually, it's not. Crime is getting better and better in the US. It's at an all time low. We live in a golden age. We should all appreciate every moment of it.

Live in awareness and vigilance, but not in fear.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nearly every thread here has someone claiming "crime/violence is getting worse and worse..."

Actually, it's not. Crime is getting better and better in the US. It's at an all time low. We live in a golden age. We should all appreciate every moment of it.

A good point to make. Of course, some localities are actually getting worse while others get better, so it doesn't surprise me that some folks say it's getting worse - for them, it actually is. But it's good to know we're not on an unstoppable ride to destruction, at least if we can avoid destroying our economy.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
That's a pretty big IF Maxwell...just sayin':blink:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Move to Detroit and check back in a few weeks... :wink:

And make no mistake. With all the attacks made on Americas ethical standards and morals. I'd say we surly haven't seen the worst of it by any measure.:hand5:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sweeping generalizations suck; as do blanket statistics, I live in Memphis crime is in fact on the rise here Google it; lets just make a pact to disagree and agree to not become a statistic

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Averages are just that. Of average utility to individuals. Interesting information, but perhaps not useful as a guide to any one person.

Criminals come, and criminals go. When they're coming and active, "averages" can seem a world away, and equally irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well overall I'd imagine that there's a sizable number of people afraid to peek out the door who are in fact living in places where they could run to the all night market at 2:00 A.M. in shorts and flip flops and leave their keys in their car with no danger of having anything bad at all happen. I think that may be where the OP is going with it.

·
8,501 Posts
I think that "less crime" is all in how the statistics are compiled. It may very well be that nationally our violent crime rate has dropped (as has been reported for years now).

However, I can't help but look at the unemployment statistics reported by the very same government that tracks crime statistics. They twist the data so as not to include many, many people that would drive the unemployment numbers far higher. So I have to ask myself, how are they twisting the crime data? What are they filtering out?

Also, as a second point, it seems that while there MAY be less crime it seems that the crimes that do happen are increasingly violent and lethal. It appears to me that the BGs tactics are evolving. Things like home invasions with 5 or 6 bad guys.

I understand that it's possible that I'm being duped by the media and extremely violent criminals are just getting more air time, but I don't think so. It's possible, but not probable.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
In some places, crime is not reported so as to have lower stats...:yup:

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I believe the crime rate is going down because of the CHL laws and SYG laws in place.

Rob, rape or hold up some one and a very good chance you will will be DOA!!!!!!!

Reactions: ep1953

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cities, counties, states, etc. have lots of incentives to under report crime. Cities/states with low crime rates attracted more businesses, people and tourist. And those things equal more tax dollars which means the politicians have more money to give themselves raises, create social programs to help them get re-elected and build parks and schools that they can name after themselves. And crime statistics become pretty meaningless to people after they become a crime victim.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
And there are plenty who have a vested interest in keeping people terrified so they can break them up into nice little voting blocs. That's a whole lot more common than underreporting by officialdom
Cities, counties, states, etc. have lots of incentives to under report crime. Cities/states with low crime rates attracted more businesses, people and tourist. And those things equal more tax dollars which means the politicians have more money to give themselves raises, create social programs to help them get re-elected and build parks and schools that they can name after themselves. And crime statistics become pretty meaningless to people after they become a crime victim.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I keep hearing that crime is decreasing, yet Memphis, Chicago, and Detroit (To name a few) are getting worse. Cities around me are getting worse. My town is getting worse. But yeah, crime's decreasing... Somewhere.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts

I didn't see you "point out" anything.

All I saw was your statement making a claim without citing any facts which support your claim.

Are you also going to claim that our boarder are more secure than they have ever been?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
You can tell me crimes dropping all you want but when I can't go to the beach (or just about anywhere here) without witnessing drug deals, prostitution, etc. and the nightly/morning news is nothing but robberies and the likes - I just can't see it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts