Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lewis Machine Tool CQB 16' AR. I have added a Surefire x300 ultra and an aimpoint T1. Even with the lightweight components, this rifle seemed to weigh a lot. We ended up sweeping back and forth through a wheat field (at night) looking for suspects. After the initial adrenalin rush, I got to noticing how heavy it was.

I know one option would be filing the paperwork and getting a short-barrel.........

Making use of the expertise here, what are some quality LIGHWEIGHT ARs?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Chap, your barrel isn't the only weighty part of an AR. And ARs aren't that heavy to begin with. So, you've got "lightweight" (totally subjective), "quality" (ditto) & are open to an SBR. For the opinionators to "weigh-in" (pun intended), give us a target weight & a budget.

Heck, you already KNOW how much we love to spend...other people's money! :biggrin2:

Reactions: G26Raven and sdprof

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well, looking at the specs on LMT's website - and assuming its still the same - probably your biggest added weight on that rifle is your heavy contour barrel, full quad rail, and sopmod buttstock. So, if I just wanted to shed some weight I would just grab a BCM mid-length (my preference) pencil upper with a slimmer, lighter forend on it and only add rail sections as needed, and replace the buttstock with something more minimalist. You would be down to about 6lb's empty instead of the stock 7.45lbs that LMT lists.

Here are some example purchases: BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM KMR-*ALPHA* 9" Handguard

Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock Collapsible AR-15

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
colt sp1 carbine ..Dont know why but god it feels light and easy to handle I am guessing the light weight barrel but I will second the above for good hints

Reactions: patri0t

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I have a BCM BFH LW 14.5" upper on one of my rifles. It balances really well, and is the lightest AR I own. It still shoots well, and I haven't noticed rounds starting to walk around the target during range sessions.

What kind of forend are you running?

Are you using a sling?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have other options besides an SBR (which I would still recommend).

You could always go the pistol route.

The other options would be to get another upper with a pencil or other low profile barrel. Spring for a 14.5" barrel (as buckeye mentioned) and attach one of the extended A2 flash hiders to bring it to the legal 16" length.

Your other option, and probably the easiest/cheapest, would be to get some different furniture for your current rifle. Specifically the hand guard. Go with one of magpul's offerings or one of the lighter-weight keymod/m-lok options (Midwest industries, etc.). Mounts for your surefire will *probably* be lighter for any of those options as you won't have to worry about having the section built to mate up with your quad rail.

You could look into a minimalist stock as well. I think Daniel Defense makes one and I'm sure there are others. No experience with those though, so I'm not sure if you stand to gain much weight loss going that route.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a BCM BFH LW 14.5" upper on one of my rifles. It balances really well, and is the lightest AR I own. It still shoots well, and I haven't noticed rounds starting to walk around the target during range sessions.

What kind of forend are you running?

Are you using a sling?
I also have a BCM LW upper and love it. Great accuracy. I think the OP's forend is a permanently attached (integrated style) quad rail. So that definitely will add some weight since it has full rails.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. Originally, my LMT didn't feel that heavy-three years of chemo hasn't been all that kind to me.

I may have to keep the LMT and just spring for a SIG MPX although the DD SBRs look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Thanks for the help. Originally, my LMT didn't feel that heavy-three years of chemo hasn't been all that kind to me.

I may have to keep the LMT and just spring for a SIG MPX although the DD SBRs look pretty sweet.
If SBR are on the table then yeah we can start talking some real light set ups esp for PCC

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
+1 on a BCM setup - they offer some VERY well thought out options. A BCM lightweight mid-length with the KMR rail (not the heavier KMR Alpha) in 14.5" barrel length with a pinned flash hider is shockingly light - and still doesn't need a stamp.

You have other options besides an SBR (which I would still recommend).

You could always go the pistol route.
Two challenges with that. First is that if it's for duty use, a real stock (and the resulting solid cheek weld) are an absolute requirement. The other thing is that depending on caliber choice and ammo choice, barrel length changes (and the resulting muzzle velocity changes) can have a big effect on terminal ballistics. Doesn't matter at the range....but really matters for duty use,

I also have a BCM LW upper and love it. Great accuracy. I think the OP's forend is a permanently attached (integrated style) quad rail. So that definitely will add some weight since it has full rails.
I am also very pleased so far with my BCM middy LW upper. I got a screamin' deal on one with the magnesium alloy KMR rail.

I am running a Trijicon SRS, a Vickers sling, a Magpul CTR stock, and a Surefire TLR1-HL. Even with the very chunky sight on top, the complete setup comes in at 7 pounds, 8 ounces....and a full pound of that is because I insist on running that great big SRS up top. With your Aimpoint, it'd be what....six and three quarters pounds? Pretty good for a real fighting carbine with a light, sling, sight - and no compromise on ruggedness.

I have a Lewis Machine Tool CQB 16' AR. I have added a Surefire x300 ultra and an aimpoint T1. Even with the lightweight components, this rifle seemed to weigh a lot. We ended up sweeping back and forth through a wheat field (at night) looking for suspects. After the initial adrenalin rush, I got to noticing how heavy it was.

I know one option would be filing the paperwork and getting a short-barrel.........

Guns that shoot well ain't always great for carrying. Guns that carry well ain't always great for shooting.

My suggestion would be to keep the Aimpoint T1, make sure you've got a relatively lightweight buttstock on it, switch to a BCM 14.5" LW middy upper with the KMR, and stick on a nice BFG Vickers sling. I'm a big guy so I generally find that the weight of an AR doesn't bother me all that much....but I have noticed a big difference between my BCM upper and the Troy setup I was running (16" barrel, relatively heavy profile, and a Troy Alpha rail). I find that the LMT points quicker, is more enjoyable for long sessions, and so far doesn't have an issue with the number of rounds I've put through it. I should know more for sure after I do an AR low light class in December.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can relate with you OP. Even a pound of added weight on the front of an AR makes a big difference. You do have options but it's really going to depend on what your budget is. I'm very well educated on "lightweight" right now because I just finished a lightweight complete rifle build. Piece by piece I hand picked each component with high quality and weight in mind. I went a bit crazy with the budget but you could swap some stuff around and make it work for less money using less expensive options.

For the barrel I went with the 16" Faxon GUNNER profile Barrel. This was the absolute lightest barrel I found that was still held in high regard as being very high quality. It weighs in at just under 20oz, which to compare, your heavy profile barrel is probably somewhere between 30-36oz. So just with the barrel you can shave almost a pound. For the rail I went with the SLR Rifleworks 15" Helix. This weighs in at 8oz with the proprietary barrel nut, which is extremely light if you look at comparable options in a 15" configuration. The gas block I used is the Battle Arms Development Titanium gas block. This thing weighs less than the actual gas tube. It comes in at .48oz. Then the muzzle device is the SLR Rifleworks Synergy Mini Comp Titanium, which weighs in at 1.4oz. Again that is very light for a muzzle device. Throw in any upper receiver at that point and you find yourself with an upper that weighs next to nothing. I won't bore you with any other details but in the end the entire gun without the Trijicon MRO optic and running a full size M16 Spikes Tactical Bolt Carrier Group weighed in at 5lbs 2oz. Which is about 2.5lbs less than my next lightest AR and boy can you tell a huge difference.

Whether you buy a complete lightweight upper, or decide to build one, I will tell you that once you shoot a truly lightweight AR you will never want to go back to the heavy examples. Good luck and get moving before parts get hard to find and more expensive.

·
Banned
747 Posts
When I was in patrol I had a BCM 14.5 mid-length pencil barrel with a pinned flash hider. I too learned that carrying a heavy carbine for hours on end wears you out, so went with a pencil barrel carbine. I can hit a paper plate out to 250 yards with a pencil barrel carbine 10 shots out of 10, and that's all the accuracy an officer would need realistically.

I still have that BCM carbine, but if I was back in patrol, I would just run a Colt 6720 pencil barrel carbine and be done with it. I bought mine for $799 shipped last year from PSA, but they are about $899 now, and were available as of yesterday when I looked.

You dont need wiz bang this, wiz bang that on a patrol rifle. Just a reliable Colt carbine with a red dot, flashlight, and sling would be dandy. Plus the pinned on A2 front sight base is super reliable.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just handled the new Springfield Saint. It weighs in at about 4.75 pounds. Actually it was pretty impressive and reasonably priced, i.e about $850 if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I just handled the new Springfield Saint. It weighs in at about 4.75 pounds. Actually it was pretty impressive and reasonably priced, i.e about $850 if I remember correctly.
SA's website has the Saint listed as being 6 pounds, 11 ounces.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
My wife had a custom AR built for her by a friend because she could not handle the weight of S&W M&P 15 MOE which weighs 6.8 pounds without the EOTECH or my Surefire G2. I would say that hers weighs about 1-1.5 pounds lighter and the only significantly different item is she has a pencil barrel on it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
SA's website has the Saint listed as being 6 pounds, 11 ounces.
That's a perfectly reasonable weight for a middle-of-the-road entry level carbine. You can shave a pound off of that "naked" weight with a light stock, pencil 14.5" barrel with a pinned hider, and the right hand guard (and without spending big dollars on titanium and other non-duty-grade components), but that does add another $500 or so to the cost.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could start by giving up the 16 foot long barrel - probably a bit unwieldy. :danceban:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could start by giving up the 16 foot long barrel - probably a bit unwieldy. :danceban:
HaHaHA, I never even noticed the typo until you pointed it out. Yeah, that would be a tad unwieldy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts