Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For hot summertime concealed carry? Searching this forum I found 2 possibilities. Concealed Carry Clothiers and Smith & Alexander. Are there any others? Already have a Cabellas heavy duty vest with 20-some pockets and pouches, but it's too heavy for hot weather. Due to my body shape, meaning an oversize middle, it's difficult if not impossible to keep my IWB weapon from printing with just a T-shirt.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Wildcat - I favor the Smith & Alexander and reckon that is about as lightweight as it gets and yet still does a good job.

I have used these some while and always use the denim.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've been pretty happy with a Filson tin cloth vest. They run about 3" below the bottom of my belt, so IWB is no problem. And they just look like a "work" vest, not anything tactical - if that's a concern.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Both of the vests you mention are shown on the website photos buttoned up. Do they look normal worn open? That's one thing I like about the Cabellas vest. It looks perfectly natural worn open. Also, Chris, are there no pockets on the S&A ?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Wildcat - mine is rarely done up - only when on the bike. Pockets yes - two lower, one each side, one upper left and one inside behind that - very adequate.

I'll dig out a pic of it in my normal use - check back shortly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here ya go - crappy pics self-taken - probably about my oldest pair of jeans too :wink: This vest is now retired as it had worn a lot and have a new one now in service. I do get my wife to starch it after washing - hangs better - this one had gotten rather limp. The wear in front right pocket is due to NAA Mini!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm wearing a Mountain Hardware Transition vest now...it's intended for outdoor athletic stuff. Very 'slick,' no pockets on the sides, but some rear ones, bicycle-style. Definitely doesn't look like something associated with guns. It's very, very lightweight and cool enough for summer wear over a t-shirt. Wind and water resistant, too.

Not particularly long, but it covers a sig 229 in an OWB pancake holster...my ASP does come down a bit too low in its current carrier. The light weight makes it blow open easily, but as I type, I'm collaborating with my wife, and we're putting some drapery weights in the bottom of the vest where the drawcords run. Just bought a yard and a half for $2 at the craft store, and shoved it through the grommet. We'll see how it works out in the wind...

AX

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Agent X.
please let us know how it works. I am very interested in your experiment. I wear a similar vest in the cold months but it is fleece and now with summer here, it is TOO warm and I would look rather out of place.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, any vest is going to look funny when it's really hot, heh...but this one at least makes you look like a gear-lover and wannabe Edmund Hillary than a gun-toter...and won't roast you in the process.

I'll wear it this afternoon and tell you how it goes.

AX

·
Registered
476 Posts
Worn the vest for a few walks outside...it's definitely cooler than any other vest I've owned. Still, it's an extra layer, but what can you do?

Its lightness does make it blow open easily, even with the extra weighting. But the weighting has taken it from a more serious concern to just a small annoyance; it's entirely workable. If you can get away with hitching the zipper together at the bottom, not zipping up at all, the problem is solved altogether.

And I still think I look funny wearing any vest on a humid, 85-90F day. A denim one or something would look more natural if you tend to dress like a biker or a cowboy. Since I don't, this works fine for now.

AX

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Columbia GRT vest is available at most large retail sporting goods stores. It looks more 'mainstream' than most.

-PB

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had an idea the other day, which doesn't happen often, and I am going to try wearing an open, short sleeve button up shirt over top of a t-shirt as cover for my CCW. I don't look that good, IMO, or natural in a vest. There is also the worry that someone will see your vest, especially if it is one of the 5.11 or "photographers" vests, and spot you as possibly carrying. I am hoping that an open shirt will work as well but be less conspicuous.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Wow!

older gunner said:
Try this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=254626

I have these two vests for summer use and find them very comfortable and lightweight.

And I'm already a member of the Sportsmans guide BUYERS club! They just sent me 500rd of 9mm (for the state idpa match) for $69 delivered. Factory ammo 115gr +P. This vest deal is too good to pass up! Thanks.:danceban: Okay, I just made this purchase with my Buyer's Club membership I spent a total of $26 including S&H.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
TonyW said:
I had an idea the other day, which doesn't happen often, and I am going to try wearing an open, short sleeve button up shirt over top of a t-shirt as cover for my CCW. I don't look that good, IMO, or natural in a vest. There is also the worry that someone will see your vest, especially if it is one of the 5.11 or "photographers" vests, and spot you as possibly carrying. I am hoping that an open shirt will work as well but be less conspicuous.
I sometimes wear an XL Hawaiian shirt over a tropical colored t-shirt. As long as you're carrying a gun with wood grips, it's fine. But rubber pachymayers or Hogues tend to cause the shirt to "stick" and hang things up. This causes the ever embarrassing "summer flash." Somehow, this always happens in the tourist situation here in Miami. Some liberal freak from NY will go bonkers when he sees the brief flash. This is why I'm extra careful in the summer. Sometimes I will wear a XXL 5*11 shirt over a t-shirt and that's a bit heavier but also drapes better. Less print.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Golf vests and wind vests work if your dress attire is business/casual.

I have a half dozen golf vests with my company logo embroidered on them and they look just fine over a polo shirt or dress shirt, even in summer.

I'm a doctor so they just look like a casual office uniform.

The single-layer ones are comfortable even over the summer months.

Google search for "Microfiber Windvest" and "Golf vest"

·
Registered
476 Posts
TonyW said:
Lots of people I know wear just that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts