Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was putting stuff in the truck at the neighborhood Wallyworld, then all the sudden I hear a small pop sound, not quite as loud as a .22, may like a powderless .22 rifle, but just enough to get my attention.

I look to my left and here is one of our local LEO's chasing a guy through the parking lot and they are coming straight for me.

(So I duck behind the door of my truck, pull out my .45 and get ready to take the bad guy out if they get any closer) Ok not really.

About 4 or 5 steps closer to me, the BG turns to his left and I hear another pop from the taser that the cop had in his hand, and both of them are no longer visible because of vehicles in the way. I keep putting up stuff in my truck looking over in their direction periodically and I see the LEO walking behind the guy who is now in cuffs up towards the front of the store where his cruiser is parked. There were two other gentlemen standing up by the cruiser who end up talking with the BG and cop.

Glad things were handled quickly and safely for the officer.

Question to my self after I start driving out of the parking lot, and for any of you.

What would I have done if they had made it the 30 or so yards to me while the chase was going on.

Most likely I would have put myself in front of the BG either to slow him down for the LEO to grab him, or simply tackled him as he got to me. He didn't have any visible weapons in his hands while he was running, and probably weighed 30-40 lbs less than me.

The thought of my gun never came to my mind.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I am NOT an LEO. I am NOT a hero. My life (and my limbs) were NOT in danger. Perp had no "visible" weapons? Well, was your .45 visible before the fun started? The LEOs were not endangered, nor were any other citizens? Me? I would have remained behind cover/concealment, let the police do their job & been a...good witness. :yup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
If the LEO obviously needs my help, I'll help. Otherwise, I'm an observer. I know all the LEO's around here and shoot with some of them, so it wouldn't be a surprise to them if I pulled my firearm. If I don't know the LEO, I'm not looking to get shot. It would stay in my holster unless it's a life threatening situation.. But that's just me

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I would have hustled on getting stuff in my truck then scat.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
With that situation I would had stayed my distance. If the situation got out of hand and the LEO needed me to help I would have. Just me.

Reactions: jumperj

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am NOT an LEO. I am NOT a hero. My life (and my limbs) were NOT in danger. Perp had no "visible" weapons? Well, was your .45 visible before the fun started? The LEOs were not endangered, nor were any other citizens? Me? I would have remained behind cover/concealment, let the police do their job & been a...good witness. :yup:
X2
Let the LEOs handle it if they are already on him. I'll either lock my s of in my vehicle, lock it and get out of their way or defend myself if he tries to take me or my vehicle. The press and police milf gut praise you, but he'll probably sue you or worse yet hurt you.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
I would have moved enough to keep my truck between them and myself as cover, I am not going to engage.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
41,295 Posts
"Oops! My shopping cart got away from me."

·
Registered
887 Posts
For me,,its stay behind my truck. Let the police handle it. Be a good witness. Would only get involved if there was no other choice.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
There was a Police Chase not long ago in Houston. That was being followed by a news helicopter. The BG had alead on the police, but they were in a industrial strip mall. A delivery driver with a small van was making a delivery. They charged the driver unloading his truck To either take truck/Hostage. But the unloading driver had a Conceal Carry and shot the BG's as they approached. One never knows even with police present how these things are to turn out.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
if he got close I would help introduce him to the dirt, other wise keep an eye on the action in case the LEO needs a hand but stay out of his way if he doesn't

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would have left the shopping cart there and gotten in my car and left the scene.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, maybe there is a bit of confusion over my post.

I would have left the shopping cart there and gotten in my car and left the scene.
The small pop sound initially was from the LEO's taser. The first shot missed. That is when I looked to see what was happening.

The second shot of the taser, after I was watching them, was after the BG turned from my direction and that second shot of the taser hit the BG, allowing the LEO to cuff him.

No, I wasn't in any danger, there weren't bullets flying, why would I leave my stuff and vacate the parking lot for a foot chase and taser usage by a LEO on a BG.

As far as helping the LEO. If the BG would not have changed course, he would have ran directly at me and my stuff. Had the LEO not been successful with his taser by the time he got to me (if that is what had happened), I have no problem in slowing a BG down while an officer is giving chase.

Like I said there where no weapons visible, no threat to me, but I can't imagine that LEO's enjoy foot chases all that much, especially when there is no backup around.

I had loaded my stuff up in the truck, and left the parking lot and made it 1/4 mile down the road before I met the two cruisers who were coming for backup on the initial officer.

No, I am not a LEO, nor a super hero, but slowing a BG down during a foot chase if they are coming directly at you, certainly doesn't fall into either of those categories in my book. It simply falls into doing the right thing category.

YOMV.

Reactions: jstert and airslot

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My .45 is never visible, nor was it at this time.

Why did I need cover or concealment from an officer chasing a BG and using his taser? :confused:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Thanks for the additional details. It's clearer for me now! (re: Post #18)

My .45 is never visible, nor was it at this time.

Why did I need cover or concealment from an officer chasing a BG and using his taser? :confused:
My point exACTLY. No one could tell if YOU were armed. So how could you be sure that he...WASN'T?

You, of course, will always decide what you need. Yet in the close proximity of a perp/LEO pursuit, I was just mentioning what I prefer. In fact, I prefer being in another... ZIP CODE. Ideally, another TIME ZONE. :image035:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts