Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,523 Posts
I was offered to trade for a llama 1911. Never owned one.
Are they any good,worth owning?
What are you trading for it?
If I remember correctly, Llama closed down in 2005, it maybe hard to find parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted to trade my extra Springfield xd 9 mm subcompact and he emailed me last night.
Told him I wanted to do some research this morning before I did anything

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
He's evidently hoping you know absolutely nothing about guns or their value. At the most his Llama (depending on age/model/caliber and condition) MIGHT be worth $125.00 max. I wouldn't even bother with a "no thanks" e-mail to him.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Super Moderator
19,234 Posts
Major problem is their parts are proprietary and difficult to find, even with hand fitting no off-the-shelf parts will fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I dont trade if I don't know and I didn't know about these.
That why I love this sight. yall tell it like it is.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
What are you trading for it?
If I remember correctly, Llama closed down in 2005, it maybe hard to find parts.
I have one. The gun has been ok. The extractor broke and OD is right it is a pain finding parts....

·
Registered
467 Posts
It depends on the model, yr. it was made. the last of them were not great.
I have 2 IX-C Full size models that never fail.
I would buy it outright, It's not worth the springfield xd 9.
However there are parts out there. Llama used to make a fine 1911, IF it is a true Llama 1911.
I do not know why people knock Llama's, after never owning one.
My 1st Llama 1911 fired over 20,000 rds. before it broke, replaced it with a new colt barrel worked like a champ.
sold it yrs. ago when times got bad.
But I will tell you, there are many internal parts that can be replaced with colt parts, I know because I have done it.
If it is a double stack, mags. are hard to find and expensive. But I stocked up when I could. I am a firm believer in 10 mags per.
weapon so I have what I need.
There is a sight, can't remember which that list interchangeable parts for Llama, some colt some kimber and some Para-ord. parts interchange.
Para-ord mags. can be made to fit, it depends on model, double stack mags fit after widening the mage catch.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hate to admit it but I bought a Llama XIA, 1911 clone a few years ago. It feeds every time, goes bang every time (sometimes without depressing the grip safety). For the most part none of the internal parts will not interchange with any other known handgun. Oh, by the way; did I mention that it will not reliably hit the paper a 10 yards.

BE CAREFUL.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Have you ever seen a llama ? The guns are just as ugly
So are you saying a Llama 1911 is ugly? Is that what I'm hearing?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
It depends on the model, yr. it was made. the last of them were not great.
I have 2 IX-C Full size models that never fail.
I would buy it outright, It's not worth the springfield xd 9.
However there are parts out there. Llama used to make a fine 1911, IF it is a true Llama 1911.
I do not know why people knock Llama's, after never owning one.
My 1st Llama 1911 fired over 20,000 rds. before it broke, replaced it with a new colt barrel worked like a champ.
sold it yrs. ago when times got bad.
But I will tell you, there are many internal parts that can be replaced with colt parts, I know because I have done it.
If it is a double stack, mags. are hard to find and expensive. But I stocked up when I could. I am a firm believer in 10 mags per.
weapon so I have what I need.
There is a sight, can't remember which that list interchangeable parts for Llama, some colt some kimber and some Para-ord. parts interchange.
Para-ord mags. can be made to fit, it depends on model, double stack mags fit after widening the mage catch.
Hope this helps.
I owned one back in the 70's. So I'm allowed to knock them.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
If I had a hi-point, I'd trade for the Llama. Otherwise, no, your Springer is 20 times better on a bad day.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
I agree keep the Springfield. I had a Llama 1911 about 28 years ago. It was OK, but would only feed hardball ammo. I traded straight across for a stainless Ruger Security Six, one of the BEST wheel guns I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
My very first 1911 was a Llama Mini-Max .45.

I don't think I was ever able to get a full magazine thru it without it jamming at least 2-3 times. A friend of mine offered to buy it from me, but in good conscience, I couldn't take money for what I considered a turd in a punch bowl...so I just gave it to him free of charge. To this day, I don't know if he still has that gun or not.

Keep your Springfield.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I've had a Llama 1911 in .380 for 8 years.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
? trade a at most $200 gun with no customer support or magazine spare parts availability without looking all over hell,with a modern great CCW firearm worth $400-500 with great customer support and parts availability,not even if he offered cash with it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts