Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to starting my work up loads for 40 s&w. I'm using a lee loadmaster with auto disk. Im using the load data in both the one caliber load data book as well as the lee reloading book. I'm using Longshot for powder. Minimum is 6.3gr, max is 7.5. The info says the .49 disk should do 6.3 gr. According to my scale, it's 5.9gr. The info days max load is disk .61, at 7.5gr. My scale put it at 7.8gr. Had to add a bit of powder to get to the minimum weight listed. More fun? The Hodgdon 2020 reloading manual lists the max load as 7.8gr. Now which do I follow?

Also felt kind of stupid, as I had to deconstruct and remake all 30 rounds. Something about them didn't quite feel right. Double checked the load data. Bullet seater and crimp dies had been set using one of my stock fresh out of the box sig sauer 165gr hp rounds. Come to find out i was too short, with an oal of 1.115, and book says 1.125. So, I pulled out the fresh mag I loaded today, and measured half a dozen of them. From 1.11 to 1.135. No wonder my seater was off. And no wonder, when we bullets from the store, some feel a bit hotter than others.

I measured each throw, loading 1 round at a time. I took my time, as i noticed that the scale would change weights as it got warmer. So, I'd measure 1 load, turn off the scale, finish the round, and then on to the next one. 10 rounds of each load (2 pistols in 40). My concern is that max load. Do I trust my scale, or the book for that load? If I adjust accordingly, then I have to hope that neither the minimum or max groups well, due to having to add or subtract a touch of powder to get the right measurements.

Scale, by the way, is the Lyman Pocket Touch 1500gr model.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I use a hornady digital scale and a rcbs beam scale. Both work great.
For the disks, I’ve never found their recommendation to be completely precise. If you don’t have the double disk kit it may help you get more precise measurements. I believe lee also makes a charge bar for that powder measure. I have never used it but it might make things easier.

for the load data, there are all sorts of reasons why some data is different from others. Just pick what you like unless something stands out as being very different from the rest. I usually go for bullet manufacturers first, powder manufacturer second, and Lyman manual third.

Reactions: Henry9008

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The downside of the disks is that you really can't "work up" a load since you often have only a couple of weight options per powder. Never start your work up at max, you are asking for trouble. If you have an inexpensive scale, I wouldn't trust it for near max loads; in my experience (I started cheap) they aren't highly reliable. If it were me using your setup, I would stay with a low to mid-range powder setting and just accept it for what it is. Concerning OAL, every bullet design is going to be unique. You need to make dummy rounds (no powder or primer) to set the seating depth-don't rely on trying to mimic a commercial round which could have a much different bullet design (as you discovered). When you get the OAL you are trying for be sure to "plunk test" using your pistol barrel to make sure it will cycle through your gun.

Good luck & be safe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Having a balance beam scale is particularly invaluable when you need to verify the accuracy of a digital scale. If your digital scale is off after it warms up, consider replacing it. When it comes to powder charges, there really is no room for error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts