Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it hurt to leave a magazine full?
It seems that the spring in the XD40SC is VERY stiff and Im worried it
might ruin the spring to keep it under tension,it's a new gun so I might be paranoid.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You are paranoid. It doesn't hurt to keep your magazines loaded for extended periods of time. I have seen mags that have been loaded for years that function perfectly. If you seriously have a problem with the notion, keep one loaded. You will see that both function just as well.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I'm ashamed to say this, but I went for over a year without shooting my XD 45 Compact. The spare mag was loaded the entire time and it shot fine.

So no, those springs are very resilient.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Absolutely fine. However, some subscribe to the school of having a few extras to rotate every 6 months or so. To let the springs "Rest".

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
It's not going to bother the magazine to remain loaded. I've stored magazines for little used guns for over a year and they performed flawlessly when taken out and shot.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My CHL instructor told us that he and another guy bought a box of misc stuff at an auction, and in the box included a WW2 era 1911 with a fully loaded magazine and from what they could tell, the magazine had been loaded back around the war. He said they shot it and reloaded it over and over it it worked fine. I tend to believe him, he has never told us wrong before.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It won't hurt a thing to leave a magazine either loaded or unloaded. A spring at rest or undercompression is very similar. The act of compressing the spring and recompressing it is what will over a great deal of time cause the spring to gradually wear out. Being under constant tension or no tension matters way less.
Shooting and reloading will actually wear out the spring faster, but I sure don't let that stop me from having fun at the range.:image035:

·
Registered
144 Posts
If springs wear out under constant loads your car spring would be shot in a few years. No problem at all leaving them loaded.

·
Registered
916 Posts
XD's are TACTICAL weapons. Not show pieces. Keeping them in a ready condition is what they are designed for.

You can keep empty mags around if you want, but then your XD is nothing more than a paperweight and you can get real paperweights for a lot less money.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
This may be a rumor that got started years ago, probably by a manufacture or retailer to sell more magazines or mag parts.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It won't hurt a thing to leave a magazine either loaded or unloaded. A spring at rest or undercompression is very similar. The act of compressing the spring and recompressing it is what will over a great deal of time cause the spring to gradually wear out. Being under constant tension or no tension matters way less.
Shooting and reloading will actually wear out the spring faster, but I sure don't let that stop me from having fun at the range.:image035:

smart lady!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts