Defensive Carry banner

Local Gun Store - Buzz Kill

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  NONAME762 
#1 ·
Well I have had it with my LGS. I have bought two pistols from them and had been buying ammunition. Now they are selling *reloads* for 48 cents per round. Then the other day I was drooling over would have been my third pistol purchase from the shop. I had dry fired a Sig P226 about 10 times and the store owner told me to stop dry firing it. He said it was OK to dry fire it 2 or 3 times to feel the trigger, but to stop it.

I smiled, handed the gun back, and walked out to never return. BTW, that trigger was smooth!

#5 ·
I don't think the owner was being unreasonable. Customers are picky about new guns, and if they show marks of wear, the won't buy it.

For example, did you ever notice the left side of a hammer on an 1894 Marlin lever action, or a 39A lever action? After a couple of hundred cycles a portion of the blue starts to wear off, and then customers wonder if the new Marlin is actually a used one.

Or how about a revolver? Some customers don't want a turn ring on the cylinder when they buy a new revolver.

Realize the owner probably sees lots of guys "playing" with his inventory. Suddenly he's selling a "new" Sig with 1,000+ dry fires. If anything, you should be appreciative that the owner is minimizing unnecessary handling of his inventory before he sells it to customers.

#19 ·
I don't think the owner was being unreasonable. SNIP Or how about a revolver? Some customers don't want a turn ring on the cylinder when they buy a new revolver. SNIP Suddenly he's selling a "new" Sig with 1,000+ dry fires. If anything, you should be appreciative that the owner is minimizing unnecessary handling of his inventory before he sells it to customers.
I'm not trying to kick the OP who manfully stated that others could be right. I cant stand it when i see someone repeatedly spin a cylinder, or hold a pistol sideways.

#22 ·
Way way back when I bought and sold guns semi regularly it kinda would irritate me when looky loo's would handle a used gun excessively and then when putting it back would put it down just anywhere or even just kinda throw it down haphazardly like they'd NEVER been taught to respect another mans property.

Not to mention the guys that acted all shifty or like as not wouldn't pass my personal 'sniff test'. Anyone that my gut told me NO were SOL. I wouldn't sell them a gun. But as luck would have it I didn't come across too many people like this:blink: Thank gootness.:blink:

#18 ·
IMHO. Best way to find out is rent one and shoot it at the range, to see from that point of view.

#20 ·
I agree that the OP should ask prior to dry firing a new handgun in a gun shop. And yes, it is true that is the accepted proper firearm etiquette.

I personally always ask and will usually dry fire twice since some guns will not give you an accurate feel of the trigger on the first trigger pull due to possibly congealed or sticky factory lubrication.

That having been said the OP did not commit the crime of the century since SIG recommends Snap Cap use for their center fire handguns only when being extensively dry fired.

Ideally what should have happened is that if the OP asked if it was OK to dry fire the handgun....then somebody in the shop behind the counter should have said: Yes, it's OK but, just dry fire it a few times....or...Yes, but, let me run over and grab you a Snap Cap first.

If...that is their policy.

In a perfect world the potential buyer should ask for permission but, since it is an imperfect world the folks working in the shop should make their policy on dry firing clear to the customer as they hand the firearm over to the customer.

They should know in advance that many people/customers (especially newbie firearm shoppers/buyers) are going start pulling triggers almost the instant that they get a firearm in hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.