·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about it, probably need to sell something. I've always heard the hype about them so I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Reactions: Arejay

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
They seems like good guns. My roommate picked-up a NIB 6" one in 1999 for ~$495 at a gun show. This would have been not too long before the discontinuence. My how prices have changed.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a stroll through the completed auctions on Gunbroker to see what comparable guns have recently sold for. With patience (or some negotiating with the guy down the road) you can do better I think on price. Of course you won't have to pay shipping or transfer fees with the guy down the road. 1991 Colt King Cobra .357 Mag Stainless 4" GORGEOUS SNAKE SERIES REVOLVER - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 884563401
Yeah been checking the prices on line. My area is a bad place to try and sell revolvers folks here have zero interest in them so 1500 is a bit of a stretch around these parts. Me personally I'd be in at 1200 with my max being 1300. Some more pics of the gun.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Handle and examine that gun very carefully. Not for safety sake, but like you are examining any other gun you are considering, and not getting carried away just because its a snake gun.

I have a 2” new production cobra, fired almost none, and I’m probably selling it soon. Why? Because there are other revolvers I like better. Honestly, even though I have had it only a few months, considering the current situation, I expect to sell it for more than I paid for it.

I’m betting there are others out there who just see and hear “snake gun, mint condition!”.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
1.5 is a bit much imop the King cobra ...Colt has brought them back at 900-1000 msrp ...Yeah now will be more with the crazy but its not a gun that will banned soon so ...https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=king%20cobra&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48 is showing 900-1k completed action for them and that is mint unfired guns with everthing .

Is is mint (Ie no turn lines unfired etc ) ? Does it have the box ,paperwork etc with it ?

If no and no .. At most 900 max and that is pushing it

Really imop only the Python guns are the ones people seem to go la la over and only then older models ..Single actions as well .

The King is just a colt trooper in many ways ( same frame etc )

I would not pay 800 for it only as you can get a nice ruger or the like for way less

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Looking again it has turn lines and fired which kills re sale a lot .. Double so if no box or other goodies ..

Really as new models are out there for 900-1000 I would offer 1k max and walk at that point .

The only and I mean only up sell is if this was a no FFL paperwork cash over the barrel head sale .But you posted it over the internet so they know about it ..So little point now ...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah been checking the prices on line. My area is a bad place to try and sell revolvers folks here have zero interest in them so 1500 is a bit of a stretch around these parts. Me personally I'd be in at 1200 with my max being 1300. Some more pics of the gun.
View attachment 345722
View attachment 345723
Just curious. What do the folks in your area like in lieu of revolvers?

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
I would be so tempted.
Rabbit212 lives down on the Texas border if I am not mistaken.
Semi auto handguns are popular down there. But I would have thought revolvers would still have a big following?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would be so tempted.

Rabbit212 lives down on the Texas border if I am not mistaken.
Semi auto handguns are popular down there. But I would have thought revolvers would still have a big following?
I grew up in that area a lonnnng time ago. I enjoy hearing what it is like now.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I wonder if the older production models are going for a premium?
I keep hearing they are having some issues with the new production models.

I would imagine they might be since they ain't making them anymore.

There was a couple if early Pythons had some issues. No problems now. No problems with either the Cobra or King cobra's.

Regaurdless they are all fairly expensive. The Pythons are very hard to find even now and selling for near 1800 or more. Old models were over that of course. The concern that they would bring down the value of the old ones has not been the case.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That's an awfully pretty gun ...... (is that an oxymoron?)

But @ $1500 I'd have to think long and hard. You can buy a 3" brand new for a $1K

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All semi autos sell well especially Beretta, FN, HK.
Dangle a nice 1911 especially in 38 super and your inbox will be full on no time. Everything sells but revolvers are slow we don't kid ourselves we know many firearms make the trip south and those guys don't have the time to be reloading a wheel gun.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's an awfully pretty gun ...... (is that an oxymoron?)

But @ $1500 I'd have to think long and hard. You can buy a 3" brand new for a $1K
[/QU
Yeah you can buy a new one for under a grand but the older models are fetching better then new prices all over the internet. Like many firearms folks put a premium on the older models based on truths, rumors, myths or legends. My previous research says the older models had a lot of hand fitting and polishing and the triggers are supposed to be top notch etc. Any truth to it??? Maybe but that's their selling points for the old production.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts