Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The primary goal is to prevent grandkids from accessing a firearm. A secondary goal would be to prevent a casual theft of opportunity.

All of my ammo is on open shelves with all of my other gun paraphernalia, so it's not like these will escape notice, but they will, when locked, keep out kids or opportunists. At $60, these were a bargain, and with the $12 of 2X6's, they won't fall over.

I'll be installing rubber padding on the shelves, and maybe low-wattage 110V lamps, but other than that, these are the model of simplicity. I hung my holster rack on the back tonight. I may invest in a real safe someday, although that is doubtful unless I find a real bargain. I just really don't need one for my small collection.

Another idea I had, as an alternative, was an old upright freezer with the shelves removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The primary goal is to prevent grandkids from accessing a firearm. A secondary goal would be to prevent a casual theft of opportunity.
I agree that it will probably do those things pretty well.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Freezer isn't a bad idea, I have two with locks om the door.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I really like the old locker idea.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Those should do just fine! I recently added a lockbox that fits in my desk drawer for the same reason. It keeps the grandkids and any casual thief from getting my guns. It wouldn't keep someone from taking the whole drawer, but it does keep the honest honest!
Along time back I added lock boxes in my barn and garage so that I could have heated storage. They are very much like your lockers. They have kept my guns rust free for decades. DR

·
Super Moderator
24,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Along time back I added lock boxes in my barn and garage so that I could have heated storage. They are very much like your lockers. They have kept my guns rust free for decades. DR
Did you have a lightbulb in them, or a golden rod, or a desiccant?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts