Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the first gun you ever bought when you were young? When I first started working (I think it was before the invention of electricity (O.K., that's the way I feel this morning), I bought a brand new Colt Gold Cup, series 70, national match 1911. I found the receipt for it the other day (It was in the form of the deep sea scrolls; same age) and the total price was $211! The good part is that I still have that pistol, box and papers. I've gone through many, many buy and sell firearms, but I've kept the Gold Cup. Contrary to popular opinion (from wife), I do have one or two functional brain cells. What was your first purchase and do you still have it?

-=BDD=-

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was 12 years old when I paid (parents did the paperwork) for a Benelli Nova 12 gauge with a 3.5" chamber. I worked all summer at a small town welding shop cutting and grinding metal for the older guys to weld. If I remember correctly I paid around $325-$350 for it. I still own it and I've now had it for 12 years. It's been dropped in the mud, dropped in nasty mucky sloughs, ran over by a car in a dirt field, and more. It's never broken and it's never failed me. Hand me a new shotgun to shoot trap with and I'll probably go 85 out of 100. Give me my Nova and I'll go 100 out of 100. The gun feels like an extension of my body after shooting it for so many years.

My first purchase when I turned 18 was a Ruger 10/22. I couldn't drive to Scheels fast enough after school on my birthday to go buy it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
My first handgun purchase was a 1976 Dan Wesson 15-2 revolver with a 4" and 8" barrel the day I turned 21 . Still have it and still a heck of a shooter and only retired it from hunting about 6 years ago and finally put the 4" barrel on it . First handgun was a 1963 colt 6" huntsman dad bought . Still a good ole shooter with a great 2lb 4oz trigger . I also have my ole beater 12ga pump I bought when 18 and a 1963 rem 511p my dad bought also . Use both .22lrs to teach my girls to shoot and now the grand kids . NO box's no receipts so price's of these an a few more ??? NO idea .

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Browning BL22. We, all us Grandsons, started with the same Winchester Youth single-shot .22 bolt-action loner from Pappy Mac. Once we got gun safety & trigger-time basics down PAT, we were green-lighted to buy our own (usually 'cuz the next Grandson was old enough to "need" the loaner to start his own growth to gun-hood). Yet that was wayyyy back when you could save-up enough money (birthdays, Christmas, All-A report cards, lawn mowing, etc.) to actually BUY, at 12 years old, ...a new Browning! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm still young, relative to the rest of the forum population.

The first gun I bought with my own money and a boat load of Gander gift cards, was a Thompson Center Encore in 7mm-08 when I was 12 (my username has been around as long as that rifle). Dad bought me a 3x9 to put on top and its been my go-to deer rifle ever since, though I would like to replace it with a bolt this year. Being a single shot, it was intended to be my starter gun and it will reprise that role when I have offspring of my own.

The first gun in my name was a Savage Axis package in 30-06, not too long ago, that was won at a raffle (I bought a ticket, so i technically bought the gun right?). I still own it but a buddy of mine borrowed it for deer season as I have little interest in the gun. Quite the tack driver, but the 30-06 doesn't appeal to me. I reckon it'll stick around as a borrowin' or backup deer rifle.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Smith and Wesson snub nose 38 when I lived in New Orleans and was working there as a diver back in 1981. I really did not have any clue about firearms at the time and did not know anyone who could teach me. New Orleans had the highest murder rate per capita back then and I thought having a gun might be a good idea, although I did not have a holster for it and knew nothing about concealed carry. I did not shoot it much and most of the time it sat in a drawer. I did give it to my then wife to carry in her purse when she went downtown to work in the Shell building on weekends by herself.

When I bought my first Glock in 2009, I sold the S&W through a local gun store on consignment. I got back what I had paid for it. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have kept it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Right after WWII I bought a Win. mod.12 20 ga. skeet gun new for a little more than $100.00. It took me a long time to grub up that much but it was worth it. When I turned 18 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .357 new for $87.50. A short trip down memory lane in the good old days.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When I had a boat capable of off shore travel, I bought a Mossberg 500 Mariner stainless steel 12ga shotty. If I remember correctly, it held 6 rounds. I kept it right above the door from the salon to the cockpit. Stupidly, I sold it when I moved the boat to Mass because, well, Mass.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My first purchase was a 6" .38 Spec Smith Military & Police. Sadly I don't have it anymore. I sold it to my dad who traded it for something that I probably do still have. I do have my second. It'a a Smith 39-2 and I plan on keeping it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Still have my first one, Marlin 39. Still probably my favorite .22 rifle. Picked it out when I was 10 or 11, made a deal with my old man to work off the cost. He picked it up and I mowed the hell out of neighborhood lawns at $10 a crack til it was mine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
First shot gun. Purchased in 1966 was a Revelation Model 350a, 20 gauge. Bought it at a Western Auto store.

First hand gun, I had no clue, was a Rohm Model 63, 8 shot revolver. Double action Western style pistol. 1972. I think I paid 29.95 for it.

First rifle was a Ruger 10/22 I paid $50 for at a gun shop that was going out of business. That was 1974.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Winchester model 70 in .308 Win. It was used and somebody had butchered the front sight real ugly, but it came with a cheap but functional 4x scope. I have taken 3 moose and an unknown number of deer with it. Still in my safe, but hasn't been shot in a few years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My first pistol was a used 1953 S&W .38 Special. Gave my friend $50 for it many years ago. Still have it and it is one of my house guns.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I wrote about it in another thread but mine was 1968...bought a Marlin .22 rifle at a local store for around $25. I'd mowed lawns all summer and saved up the money. Soon after, when the GCA of 68 passed in the fall, I wasn't able to buy ammo anymore since I was only 14. So my older brother bought the ammo until I was old enough. I still have the old rifle and the original cheap piece of junk scope is still on it. I've never had the heart to remove the old scope even though I have several spare scopes in my collection of accessories. And it still shoots dead on. That old rifle is going to pass down to my grandson one day.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The first I purchased myself was a Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. It was used for a very good price, and my thought process at the time was: if you're gonna have a small gun with low capacity, might as well have powerful rounds! I've learned a lot in the meantime and probably would think differently today, but I sure don't regret that purchase one bit. Still have it and it would probably be the very last firearm I'd part with.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I wrote about it in another thread but mine was 1968...bought a Marlin .22 rifle and a western style six shooter .22 at a local store for around $25. I'd mowed lawns all summer and saved up the money. Soon after, when the GCA of 68 passed in the fall, I wasn't able to buy ammo anymore since I was only 14. So my older brother bought the ammo until I was old enough. I still have the old rifle and the original cheap piece of junk scope is still on it. I've never had the heart to remove the old scope even though I have several spare scopes in my collection of accessories. And it still shoots dead on. That old rifle is going to pass down to my grandson one day. I traded the old .22 six shooter (and some cash) at my LGS in the 70's (thanks to Dirty Harry!) for a S&W 29, and then later traded the 29 for a 629, which I still have.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mine was a Marlin Model 60 that I paid $29.95 for at K Mart in about 1975. A couple years ago I cleaned it up and gave it to my middle son! I have no idea how many thousands of rounds have been down that barrel!

Here it is with a nice new Boyds stock.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
My first was in 1975 - a Llama IIIA .380.

I was driving a taxicab at the time, and bought the pistol after one of my colleagues was shot up pretty badly in a botched robbery attempt. He survived, and told me, "I sure wish I'd had a gun! That S.O.B. might have still shot me, but he wouldn'ta shot me five times!"

The Llama was a total POS, and I traded it for a Ruger Security-Six ASAP!

·
Registered
679 Posts
My first 5 in order:

1. Remington 541S .22 LR bolt action.
2. Ruger M-77 .25-06 bolt action.
3. Browning Hi Power 9mm.
4. Colt Trooper Mk III .22 LR, 8" barrel.
5. AMT 1911 Long Slide .45 ACP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts