Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger LCR 38 special for ccw, I am looking for a night stand and woods carry 357 Revolver.

I have a Glock 19 for night stand gun now, I am thinking revolver for it simple operation and being less likely to have accidental discharge when reaching for it in the dark when there is a bump in the night. The revolver would be simple for my wife to use if I need to arm her in a hurry, she has shot a handgun before but not much, so simple would be better.

357 for a woods gun in my area would be for coyote, black bear and self defence. I would carry hunting so it needs to be concealed during bow season, other times it could be opened carried.

My budget upto $800.
5 shot or more
Stainless steel
3" barrel
DA/SA
Good sights

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Mine is a S&W model 60 3" SS .357

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being a fan of older (but not collectable) S&W revolvers for carry/shooting, my usual carry revolver is a 3"bbl. S&W 65 with Crimson Trace grips. I carry it AIWB in a Dale Fricke holster. The revolver is loaded with Critical Defense .357 Mag. 125 gr JHP, for reloads I carry 2 speed loaders and one speed strip with .38 Spl. +P 158 gr LSWCHP in case I carry my BUG, a S&W 49 .38 spl. When in the woods its a 12 ga. Remington 870 and either a S&W 66 or a S&W 27 with Buffalo Bore ammo strong-side OWB. I find 3 or 4 in barrel revolvers have a noticeable accuracy advantage over a J frame with a 1.75 inch barrel and the trigger on the K frames is so much better. I would work with my wife on not only shooting the revolver but reloading with either speed loaders or speed strips, which ever you choose. There are still a lot of 80s & 90s era used revolvers on the market with little searching.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I've had a bunch of 357s. At this time the only 4" I have left is a Taurus Tracker. I like it because it is a 7 shooter with ports. It would be to loud for a house gun but fun in the woods and on the Range. I have 3 Snubs in 357 but I had to stop shooting 357 from light Snubs because of wrist issues. You might want to think about a 4" with 38+P for the house. For fun shooting a heavy 4" with good Recoil absorbing grip. I have carried my Tracker AIWB concealed a number of times. I hope I never have to shoot it without hearing protection.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"

I have a Glock 19 for night stand gun now, I am thinking revolver for it simple operation and being less likely to have accidental discharge when reaching for it in the dark when there is a bump in the night. The revolver would be simple for my wife to use if I need to arm her in a hurry, she has shot a handgun before but not much, so simple would be better.

357 for a woods gun in my area would be for coyote, black bear and self defence. I would carry hunting so it needs to be concealed during bow season, other times it could be opened carried.

My budget upto $800.
5 shot or more
Stainless steel
3" barrel
DA/SA
Good sights[/QUOTE]

I've got a Smith 60Pro with front tritium sights that would fit your bill. It's certainly small enough to carry as backup while hunting and will do double duty on the nightstand. To be honest though, the tritium vial is pretty small and not that usable. That said, there's also a lot to be said of the Smith 686+ 7shot, 3", L frame for that role. It does handle those 357Mag rounds a lot easier than my M60. Can't really carry it CCW, but that's not what you're looking for. For your job, I'd have to vote for the 686+

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
My only 357 revolver is a Rossi Snubbie, its a good reliable shooter and pretty accurate. Its my favorite because its my only .357 revolver.

My favorite 357 handgun is my Rossi Ranch hand lever action. Eats 357 magnum with the recoil of a .22.

I very much like the Ruger 357 wood grip 4", (it may be a Redhawk?). But right now it's not in my price point for a range toy and I typically carry semi auto. Perhaps down the road. I do love the look of wood grips and the idea of a quality front site. Of course S&W has some beautiful .357 also.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
3"? A 686+ in 3"! A 7 Shot L frame. I have a 686 in 2.5, 3 and 4". Couple the 686 with a Nelson Stealth IWB holster and you have a concealed carry rig. Any OWB - Nelson, or a Galco - and you have a nice woods OWB configuration. A little beefier than the K frame, which allows for a bit more recoil absorption when shooting .357's.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a S&W model 60-15. Its a j-frame 5 shot with a 3 inch barrel. Its a good gun, not too heavy. There is a lot of energy loss between a 3 and 4 inch barrel though. Roughly 200 feet per second, or a 25% drop in energy.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
686 pre lock or a ruger ..Both will take the nuke loaded 357 mag rounds eps the rugers if you want 4 legged protection ...

Me I would also add a older model Rhino as you can shoot nuke loading in it and dont feel much due to the barrel

·
Super Moderator
19,198 Posts
The 6-shot Smith & Wesson K-Frame Magnum Model 66 or its blued steel counterpart Model 19 are tough to beat and awfully handy in 2 1/2-inch or 4-inch barrel lengths.

I feel that the very best .357 revolvers on the planet were built on the Smith & Wesson N-Frame. The Models 27 and 28 are rugged revolvers, handle heavy .357 Magnum loads well, and soak up recoil. N-Frame .357 Magnum revolvers came in 3 1/2-inch, 4-inch, 5-inch, 6-inch, and 8 3/8-inch barrel lengths.

·
Super Moderator
20,156 Posts
I do love the S&W .357s in K and N frames, but most are priced out of reach for me. An alternative which is lagging in price "appreciation" is the Ruger Security Six. These were produced in blue and stainless, with 4" and 6" barrels, and all have adjustable rear sights. I found a stainless 6-inch model a while back and once I replaced the woeful OEM stocks with an ugly but functional Hogue monogrip, the gun became a dream to shoot. It lacks the classic lines of a S&W and some would even call it ugly, but its performance makes me look past that. Worth keeping your eyes open for one if you're looking for a reliable .357.

·
Super Moderator
18,240 Posts
I have several but I'll narrow it down to two of my favorites.

The M19-4 Smith and Wesson is one of the all time classics. When I think of .357 revolver thats the one that I visualize. Nice gun to carry.

The other is a Dan Wesson. For pure accuracy it puts all others to shame. The hammer throw is about half of everything else so its really quick on the drop. The barrels are adjustable for gap. You can put a 2",4",6" " or 10" on it,this one is a 6".

1 - 20 of 74 Posts