Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a good quality shotgun for my son. I use a remington 11-87 now. I'm looking for a 12ga that I can give my son when he gets older. I'm looking to spend around $800-900 for it. Just looking for some ideas... I want wood stocks not synthetic thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Have you looked into the 870 Wingmasters? You might wanna contact SIXTO on these forums; something of a shotgun connoisseur, you could say. :wink:

-B

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
For what purpose? Trap, skeet, hunting deer, home defense, turkey hunting, bird hunting?...:confused:

For a youngster, nothing beats the safety of a single shot, break open shotgun.

For bird hunting and skeet/trap, a good double barrel is all you need.

I use a Rem 870 pump for home defense (20" barrel) and install the original 28" barrel for trap. Mine is synthetic, but they have wood as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what purpose? Trap, skeet, hunting deer, home defense, turkey hunting, bird hunting?...:confused:

For a youngster, nothing beats the safety of a single shot, break open shotgun.

For bird hunting and skeet/trap, a good double barrel is all you need.

I use a Rem 870 pump for home defense (20" barrel) and install the original 28" barrel for trap. Mine is synthetic, but they have wood as well.
I'm looking for a all purpose gun. We dont have to many trap-skeet places around me but that isn't going to stop us from finding a field or something. We would be doing mostly hunting deer, small game, bird...I have a shotgun my son can learn on I am looking for something he can have when he gets older. Something I can use now but when the time comes it will be "his" gun. There are so many types of shotguns makes, models etc. I am looking for a good one that will stand the test of time....thanks

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
OK. Since you already have a Rem 11-87, I'd say get another one, if it can be had in that price range. Otherwise, a Rem 870 pump is a great bargain that will last a lifetime - and a pump will eat everything from light target loads to heavy slugs. A pump is only at a disadvantage on the skeet field, where the faster follow-up shots of a double or a semi auto rule.

Mossberg, Stoeger, etc are good as well.

Not sure about a Benelli or Beretta in that price range?

I'm sure others will have more suggestions - good luck!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I like the Rem 1100 3" mag. A good all around gun that will surely stand the test of time.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
1100, 11-87 or any grade of 870 would nicely do the trick.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy a 870 wingmaster. Its the higher end of the scale in 870's, has real wood, real blueing and he can give it to his son someday.
It is also easy to swap barrels no matter if the quarry is deer, bird or clay.

I don't think you will be able to find a high quality double in your price range, and an auto can be a little problematic when asking it to do a little of everything.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have a Beretta 1200 and a Remington 11-87. Both are excellent and certainly within that price range.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Agree that a classic Beretta, Benelli or Remington certainly have stood the "test of time". By the sound of your described intentions, a 870 Wingmaster nicely fits the bill. Mostly, enjoy shooting...with your son!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Without a doubt, the Remington 870 would be my first choice. You can save a little cash and get the 870 Express but wont have the nice finish. Both have the same receivers and mechanisms, different finishes.

It is also easy to swap barrels no matter if the quarry is deer, bird or clay.
If the 870 you choose has Rem chokes, thats all you need unless you want to shoot sabot slugs. Then you would need a rifled barrel.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
All excellent suggestions so far. One other I'll throw out that you should be able to get in your price range is the Winchester SX3. I bought a SX1 in 1975 and just recently passed it on to my son. In over 30 years of use, I've never even had to change an o-ring. It still remains the finest auto-loading shotgun I've ever owned (now have a Benelli SBE and a Benelli M1-S90).

Hoss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts