Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, awhile back I ended up getting my first CCW the Glock 19 and I love it. With that being said, there are some cloths that I wear that the gun prints more then I want (The grip sticking out) so I wanted to get a nice sub compact that I can use for those situations. I've always carried 3-4 o'clock I've been wanting to try appendix but I didn't know if that would help with printing with the glock 19. I heard some people say that if I were walking a lot appendix is good but if you sit a lot then 3-4 o'clock is the way to go.

So some of the guns I was looking at was the Glock 43, Glock 26, the P365, and the Springfield Armory Hellcat. Now, some of the research I was doing was hit or miss some I wanted to get more feedback on the guns and what people thought.

As I started before I have a glock 19 and obviously there's a lot of good when it comes to glock. One of the main reasons I didn't buy the glock 43 was because of the size of the magazine size which also plays a factor still but obviously if I get it its for the purpose of concealing better its a trade off. For people who own the gun, what's the overall experience with it? I've heard it shots good it's a good gun to have or to add to the collection.

Next is the Glock 26. When I first saw this gun I instantly fell in love with how short the grip was. I've heard people say its an amazing carry gun and I've heard people say getting the Glock 19 or 43 would be better. I was also told that if shooting it stock that its a pain in the ass to do. Obviously I can get the extension for it but then it almost makes it as long as the Glock 19. Thoughts?

Now onto the Springfield Armory Hellcat. I guess not a lot to say other then I've heard a lot of good things, really small and big magazine but if you own one I'd love to hear!

Last but not least, the P365. This is probably the leader out of all of these. Probably one of the smallest on the list, the 10 round mags, and pretty sure they fixed all the problems they had in the start.

I was also looking for holsters and came across wethepeopleholsters is this a reputable website? They have a sale going on so I didn't know if it was worth buying from them.

Another gun suggestions or any other information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Avoiding printing is a matter of four things:
1. Thin
2. Small
3. Rounded edges
4. Contrast

The fourth only applies to materials that are not fully opaque.

Additional considerations:

Thick, opaque cover materials conceal better than thin, wispy materials. This not only applies to the shirt or jacket, but also the holster. If your holster is a perfect mold and shape of your firearm, that's what prints. If it's a smooth, discreet shape with gentle curves, it will do a better job. Same goes for a decent leather jacket.

Keeping these facts in mind, you can conceal pretty much any handgun, provided it's not too large. So far as carry goes, however, I prefer misdirection in conjunction with concealment.

Unless, of course, I'm OCing, which requires an significantly different approach.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I own a We the People holster and they are reputable and the holster itself if a solid kydex holster. As far as the guns listed I own and carry the 365 and have not had a single issue with it. I carry it at 3:00 in a custom leather holster made by Kusiak and love it. It’s so comfortable and the gun so small I forget I am carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Multiple factors: grip length, holster cant, fit (tightness) of shirt, pattern or plaid on shirt, position.
Glock 26 is about as short as it gets.
Here I am seated with a Glock 19/23 using a kydex holster with adjustable cant and I've got the pistol canted forward.
Shirt is loose fit, the pistol doesn't print even if I seated; a slight bulge would be obscured (broken) by stripe.
I also carry appendix IWB and know from experience than a Glock 26 won't print AIWB even if wearing a t-shirt (not the fitted kind).
July18b.JPG

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the G19, G26 and P365 and I can conceal the G26 better because of the short grip height. For me the P365 is more comfortable to carry but slightly less concealable under a t-shirt because of the grip height.

For me the G26 is a great shooter and handles recoil well. Wrapping my pinky under the grip with the factory flush mag while firing became second nature to me after 1 magazine. I think the trigger as with all pistols is just a matter of practice. You have a good head start with your G19 experience and you can use the G19 mags for reloads.

The P365 shoots well but it has more muzzle flip than the G26 but it's manageable.

I carry both of mine at 8:00 ( I'm a lefty) in High Noon Instinct Lite holsters which go on sale regularly and they have a quick turnaround. Also, I'm pretty sure the holsters you buy for the G26 can be used for the G27 or G33 if you want to try different calibers down the road.

Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
OMO….if you have a permit to that should be enough.....actually 2A is enough.......do away with these printing laws geared for entrapment.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am going to suggest something wholly unpopular here in these pages.

Stick to one gun in one carry location no matter what you wear.

There, I said it so now the brow beating can commence. If the G19 is really too big then get a G26 or G43 and carry it in the same place...always. AIWB is easier to hide a larger gun and those people who told you its uncomfortable either have a spare tire bulge or they didn't do it right. It takes experimentation to get this stuff right and it will cost you money in holsters because they don't all work the same for each individual.

Believe me I completely understand the justifying and the endorphin rush of buying hardware. I am guilty. But, you have an excellent all around gun in the G19 and I don't mean to be rude but, its a fairly easy gun to conceal with some adjustments.
Hell, if it were me I might just have the 19 cut down to a 26 grip length and call it good. Best of both worlds there.

Your response to a deadly attack has to be automatic. If it takes thinking you lose. No thinking about where is my gun today? Pocket? AIWB? 3:00? What safety device am I carrying? Safety no safety.

Last thing is if you would rather carry a slimmer gun than just do it all the time and don't get sucked in to all the internet capacity talk. Changing guns for perceived threats is silly, do you lower your car insurance for short drives vs long drives?
Be highly trained with the one gun you carry be it 16 rounds or 8 rounds or 380 or 44 magnum and you will be way ahead of the curve vs a gun rotation scheme. Summer-winter, Casual-dressed up, etc. BUGs are fine as its not necessary to have the same auto response in my opinion.

I am guilty of all those bad habits but, I am trying to change all that. I am down to 2 CC guns and still selling others that don't fit the idea of becoming as well trained as I can to make my response an auto response. One CC gun and one open carried woods gun is my goal and both carried in the same position on my belt. Many believe they can have a thinking response and do just as well but, I call BS on that. You may get lucky but, I don't want luck to be a factor I count on.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The original Smith & Wesson M&P 9c is a fine small carry pistol as is it's brother, the M&P 40c. Also the M&P Shield in 9mm is an excellent carry gun when a little more concealment is a concern. Lots of fine choices out there so take your time and don't limit your candidates. Stick with quality pieces that have proven track records of reliability and function.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the G19, G26 and P365 and I can conceal the G26 better because of the short grip height. For me the P365 is more comfortable to carry but slightly less concealable under a t-shirt because of the grip height.

For me the G26 is a great shooter and handles recoil well. Wrapping my pinky under the grip with the factory flush mag while firing became second nature to me after 1 magazine. I think the trigger as with all pistols is just a matter of practice. You have a good head start with your G19 experience and you can use the G19 mags for reloads.

The P365 shoots well but it has more muzzle flip than the G26 but it's manageable.

I carry both of mine at 8:00 ( I'm a lefty) in High Noon Instinct Lite holsters which go on sale regularly and they have a quick turnaround. Also, I'm pretty sure the holsters you buy for the G26 can be used for the G27 or G33 if you want to try different calibers down the road.

Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Most of my G19/32 holsters fit my G26 just fine as well.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I only have experience with the G26 and the P365. Of the two, I much prefer the P365 (size, trigger, sights, among others). However, since your experience in carry is with a G19 and, assuming you are happy with it, it might make sense to go with the G26 to stay with the "feel" with which you are familiar. As always, it would be good to borrow or rent each of your options to help with your decision. Regarding the AIWB concern, I do not find G19 sized pistols to be uncomfortable for carry when you spend a great deal of time sitting in a car or at a desk.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I vote get the same model of gun and same carry location as well .Dont mix up carry gun imop ...Look at the 43x or 48 as they are marking decent afteramarkt 15 round mag ...Me I would get a glock 26 as it will use the same mag as the 17 and 19 ..

Really that would be best get a 26 and carry in same location ..So no need to get new mags etc and you can use the full size mags if needed

As to holster I 99% used nelson leather on here ..I love his stuff and the 26 awib holster he made me is top notch

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Glock 43x in a Vedder Lightuck holster carried AIWB. I'm 5'11" at 190lbs and wearing a tight t shirt you wont know it's there unless your looking for it real hard. Great shooter, reliable and plenty of aftermarket support in sights, holsters, parts etc etc.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I agree with the one gun concept but IMO the Glock 26 in Glock 19 are close enough that it's not going to create an issue.

I own both and I decide which one to carry based on my concealment needs.

The biggest advantage to the Glock 26 is that you don't have to buy a bunch of new magazines to support it. I have 4 Factory 12 round magazines for my glock 26 and everything else is a Glock 19 magazine.

I've taken them them both to classes and I've qualified with both and I find that there had been times or I have to stop and remind myself which gun I'm carrying. So for me there's no learning curve between the two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for everyone that replied! A lot of helpful information in this thread!

What's peoples thoughts on pocket carry? It seems pretty convenient but also doesn't sit well with me either. I also tried wearing appendix today and I didn't like it at all. It was pretty uncomfortable when sitting and it seemed like it protruded a good bit. Now, obviously this could be based off of the the holster not fitting well or that I wasn't putting it on for optimal concealment.

I also know a few people talked about its bad to carry more then one gun and that I should probably be carrying in the same spot for muscle memory but I just fell like its all situational. Yes, I love my glcok 19 and probably will be carrying it the most I live in a open carry state that I'm not worried about that but its just scaring people and making more out of something then it should be. I know a few people talked about the glock 26 and the more and more I thought about it it would be almost pointless to get it. The slide is a bit shorter then the 19 and the grip is a lot shorter but people talk about the grip not being comfortable and the recoil being high they say to add the mag extension but then its not all that much shorter then the 19 and also that kinda defeats the purpose of wanting a subcompact. Yes, I know I could use my 19 mags in the 26 as well but it doesn't seem like would be flush or the same length as the 19.

Honestly at this point I don't know why I wouldn't go with the P365. 10 round clip with the possibility in the future to get the 12 and 15 round mags, the size is really nice, and I can keep it stock without compromising. I'm thinking about buying a pocket holster like sticky's or something then buy a wethepeopleholster since they are already reasonably priced and on sale. If there any other holsters people would like to recommend or anything else just let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Thank you for everyone that replied! A lot of helpful information in this thread!

What's peoples thoughts on pocket carry? It seems pretty convenient but also doesn't sit well with me either. I also tried wearing appendix today and I didn't like it at all. It was pretty uncomfortable when sitting and it seemed like it protruded a good bit. Now, obviously this could be based off of the the holster not fitting well or that I wasn't putting it on for optimal concealment.

I also know a few people talked about its bad to carry more then one gun and that I should probably be carrying in the same spot for muscle memory but I just fell like its all situational. Yes, I love my glcok 19 and probably will be carrying it the most I live in a open carry state that I'm not worried about that but its just scaring people and making more out of something then it should be. I know a few people talked about the glock 26 and the more and more I thought about it it would be almost pointless to get it. The slide is a bit shorter then the 19 and the grip is a lot shorter but people talk about the grip not being comfortable and the recoil being high they say to add the mag extension but then its not all that much shorter then the 19 and also that kinda defeats the purpose of wanting a subcompact. Yes, I know I could use my 19 mags in the 26 as well but it doesn't seem like would be flush or the same length as the 19.

Honestly at this point I don't know why I wouldn't go with the P365. 10 round clip with the possibility in the future to get the 12 and 15 round mags, the size is really nice, and I can keep it stock without compromising. I'm thinking about buying a pocket holster like sticky's or something then buy a wethepeopleholster since they are already reasonably priced and on sale. If there any other holsters people would like to recommend or anything else just let me know!
Sounds reasonable to me, Will. Get the 365 and carry it IWB at 3:30 -- 4 o'clock. The We The People holster looks fine to me. Concealment Express also makes a Kydex for about the same price. Step up $20 in price and you can get a Vedder Light Tuck holster that is better quality. Also buy a pocket holster and you can carry both ways, but I wouldn't pocket carry the 365 w/o a safety unless the pocket holster is Kydex. A Vedder Pocket Locker is a safe way to carry a striker w/o a safety.
AIWB carry just doesn't work for me either -- very uncomfortable any way I have tried it with several holsters.

Good luck with your decisions!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I have found that for me the (2) easiest to conceal 9 mm's for me, is the Shield and P-365 in no particular order. That being said my Gen 4 Glock 26 is right after those (2) in ease of carry and concealment. BTW, if you are wearing T-shirts the Duluth Trading Company & Carhartt T-shirts are some of the best non printing T-shirts out there. Avoid the tech material for T-shirts. Good luck!

Reactions: Old Man

·
Super Moderator
23,235 Posts
@Willthewise1,

I'll share my story which is comparable to yours to some extent.

I started with a G17 when I began shooting. It was fine as an EDC, a bit large, but I made due.

My wife started with a G26 for personal reasons.

As I developed a hankering for a smaller EDC, I decided to get a G26 myself. Smaller, lighter, G17 magazines fit, same manual of arms, same parts in some cases, same grip style and grip angle, and familiarity made it an easy transition. I then had a G26 EDC.

Fast forward a few years, and a G36 ended up ended up as my EDC as I was spending more time in the mountains alone or with my DW.

I still have all four Glocks, and a nice inexpensive stockpile of ammo acquired at $100 a case for 9 mm for three of those. I do wish I had added a G19 during those years. :yup:

So, if I were in your shoes, I know what my answer would be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I carry at 3-4 and just got this Alien Gear unit and really like it. I wear a sweatshirt or vest over and it covers pretty well. And very comfortable. Summer time I will have to adapt - I'm not an untucked guy. Tucked in and squared away for me.

The Ruger Security 9 is hammer fired and had Glock -type sights - I like those. It comes with two 15-round mags and very nice shooter. Good price too.

https://aliengearholsters.com/ruger-security-9-belt-holster.html

New link

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I am sticking to what has a long term track record of flawless performance for me over many years....the G26.

Best of both worlds. Durable and dependable. 10,15,17 or 33 round mags.

Unlike the new single stacks which are still not proven, I know I can shoot thousands of rounds thru my G26, and run it hard with +p ammo with no issues.

Since you have a G19, then leave all those other single stack poly sissy guns alone:)

Just get the G26 and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts