Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I am sticking to what has a long term track record of flawless performance for me over many years....the G26.

Best of both worlds. Durable and dependable. 10,15,17 or 33 round mags.

Unlike the new single stacks which are still not proven, I know I can shoot thousands of rounds thru my G26, and run it hard with +p ammo with no issues.

Since you have a G19, then leave all those other single stack poly sissy guns alone:)

Just get the G26 and be done with it.
3A3D5FF0-5730-4F39-90EF-CDB9F6E3BE8A.jpeg

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have a new Hellcat with now 450 flawless rounds through it. I am extremely pleased with it. It fits my hand well, (reason that I picked it over the Sig 365), proved remarkably accurate, very manageable recoil (less than my previous EDC, a Sig 938), and of course great capacity. I have a Wright Leather outside holster for it as well as a Rawdog inside holster. My Sig is now a safe queen.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Try before you buy.

The G26 is arguably the best CCW pistol, ever, for any role save pocket carry.

While folks will claim to pocket carry all manner of guns, IMHO the current crop of small 9mm pistols are still too large and heavy for that role. The only true pocket 9 was the Rohrbaugh R9, now discontinued.

The G26 is plenty controllable with the short grip. Try one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The more and more I thought about it today was that I should get the Glock 26, fit the same mags as my 19, really short grip if I didn't put extensions on it, and it would shoot pretty close to the 19 as well. I'm having such a hard time deciding!

Then I really thought about it more, with the P365 you have the possibility to pocket carry, easier to carry 3-4 o'clock depending on what I am wearing, and its a lot slimmer then the 26.

I thought about going and shooting them which I know it sounds dumb if I don't but I don't want to spend 50 on something that I probably know what answer to already if that makes sense.

I have the alien gear shapeshifter holster and tried on the appendix holster and it was a terrible experience. From the uncomfortableness to the printing it was awful experience. But I was thinking about investing the money in a t-rex arms holster or the tier 1 concealed carry holster. I'm a guy that likes to tuck in (One of the reasons I want a smaller gun) so to be able to get a holster that will allow me to do so along with feel comfortable is important to me. I was also looking at the Vedder holsters or something with the claw so that its better concealment but you think it's worth it to get? Also anyone have good pocket holster that is reputable or you that you had good interactions with?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
The more and more I thought about it today was that I should get the Glock 26, fit the same mags as my 19, really short grip if I didn't put extensions on it, and it would shoot pretty close to the 19 as well. I'm having such a hard time deciding!

Then I really thought about it more, with the P365 you have the possibility to pocket carry, easier to carry 3-4 o'clock depending on what I am wearing, and its a lot slimmer then the 26.

I thought about going and shooting them which I know it sounds dumb if I don't but I don't want to spend 50 on something that I probably know what answer to already if that makes sense.

I have the alien gear shapeshifter holster and tried on the appendix holster and it was a terrible experience. From the uncomfortableness to the printing it was awful experience. But I was thinking about investing the money in a t-rex arms holster or the tier 1 concealed carry holster. I'm a guy that likes to tuck in (One of the reasons I want a smaller gun) so to be able to get a holster that will allow me to do so along with feel comfortable is important to me. I was also looking at the Vedder holsters or something with the claw so that its better concealment but you think it's worth it to get? Also anyone have good pocket holster that is reputable or you that you had good interactions with?

Thanks again guys!
If you’re going to tuck your shirt, then pocket carry may be the way to go. Trying to rip your shirt tail out, especially if you can only use one hand, is prone to issues...not all shirt tails are the same length, etc. When I tried tucked carry on my hip, it looked like a tumor. And depending how discrete you want to be, most tucked holsters have clips visible on the belt, so you’re not fooling anyone observant.

I think the P365 is too large, and especially too heavy for pocket carry, while others do it. One of my family friends nearly lost his pants trying to pocket carry the P365...he saw the light (weight) and now has a LCP II.

I carry a pair of LCPs in my front pockets wearing tucked professional attire daily. Works for me.

Sometimes you gotta stop trying to fit 10 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket.

That said, either spend the money on a rental, or find a friend with what you are considering, and try before you buy. It’s cheaper than buying the wrong gun.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
If you’re going to tuck your shirt, then pocket carry may be the way to go. Trying to rip your shirt tail out, especially if you can only use one hand, is prone to issues...not all shirt tails are the same length, etc. When I tried tucked carry on my hip, it looked like a tumor. And depending how discrete you want to be, most tucked holsters have clips visible on the belt, so you’re not fooling anyone observant.

I think the P365 is too large, and especially too heavy for pocket carry, while others do it. One of my family friends nearly lost his pants trying to pocket carry the P365...he saw the light (weight) and now has a LCP II.

I carry a pair of LCPs in my front pockets wearing tucked professional attire daily. Works for me.

Sometimes you gotta stop trying to fit 10 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket.

That said, either spend the money on a rental, or find a friend with what you are considering, and try before you buy. It’s cheaper than buying the wrong gun.
I'm right there with 10thmtn, and the "trying to fit 10 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket" is a quote worth serious consideration. I carry a pocket gun in my pocket (LCPII) or a belt gun on my belt. There's a reason why pocket guns come in smaller calibers imo. It's about weight, size, and weight. Oh, and weight. Did I mention that?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you don't already have one, its time to add a J frame revolver to the collection.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I hate threads like this.

No offense, Willthewise1 (and a belated welcome!) but you left out some very important data: Your build, your activity level, the types of places you visit, and the level of training you have.

Build: Larger guys can conceal larger guns. Fact. Small guys (like yours truly) will find that even a Glock 19 fits and looks like one is carrying a bazooka.
Your activity level: Some guys sit at a desk, or behind a wheel all day. How they carry in comfort will likely differ from the guy who is on his feet all day. If it's a combination, then other factors apply.
The places you visit: Some places are very strict about carrying, open or otherwise. Will you be needing to unholster before entering a SCIF or a federal property? How easy will it be for you to do so?
Your training level: It's vitally important that you practice your draw and presentation (with an UNLOADED GUN) so you can smoothly bring your gun into play. Use a safety? You'll need to practice flipping the lever as part of your presentation.

None of these are listed, so the only responses one can give you are the factors that WORK FOR THEM. As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

·
Registered
203 Posts
forester58
Solid advice. I have multiple carry guns, all have the same manual of arms and are carried in the same location on the body. I would also recommend working from your carry rig every range session. A well concealed pistol is of no use if you can't get it into action in a timely manner and hit what you're shooing at. Those restricted to ranges where drawing form the holster is not allowed, should practice drawing from the holster as a part of their dry fire drills.
str1

·
Registered
77 Posts
My little gun is a PC Shield 9. I only carry it when the back’s out. I usually carry a 1911. If I feel the need to carry a hi-cap pistol; it’s an M&P9, or a Sig Legion P229.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The G26 is a solid step down in size choice for you with a lot of capacity choices. The SA Hellfire with optics ready option may be the smart choice if you want to go with the current trend.

Noone has mentioned the Walther PPS yet. I own a PPS and carry it when I dress in a suit or sports jacket.

I admit I'm a Smith and Wesson brand loyalist, but I favor the all-metal Gen3 handguns and EDC a 3953 or 4053.

Let me echo previous commenters, there are plenty of options. Just not enough money to buy them all.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am going to suggest something wholly unpopular here in these pages.

Stick to one gun in one carry location no matter what you wear.

There, I said it so now the brow beating can commence. If the G19 is really too big then get a G26 or G43 and carry it in the same place...always. AIWB is easier to hide a larger gun and those people who told you its uncomfortable either have a spare tire bulge or they didn't do it right. It takes experimentation to get this stuff right and it will cost you money in holsters because they don't all work the same for each individual.

Believe me I completely understand the justifying and the endorphin rush of buying hardware. I am guilty. But, you have an excellent all around gun in the G19 and I don't mean to be rude but, its a fairly easy gun to conceal with some adjustments.
Hell, if it were me I might just have the 19 cut down to a 26 grip length and call it good. Best of both worlds there.

Your response to a deadly attack has to be automatic. If it takes thinking you lose. No thinking about where is my gun today? Pocket? AIWB? 3:00? What safety device am I carrying? Safety no safety.

Last thing is if you would rather carry a slimmer gun than just do it all the time and don't get sucked in to all the internet capacity talk. Changing guns for perceived threats is silly, do you lower your car insurance for short drives vs long drives?
Be highly trained with the one gun you carry be it 16 rounds or 8 rounds or 380 or 44 magnum and you will be way ahead of the curve vs a gun rotation scheme. Summer-winter, Casual-dressed up, etc. BUGs are fine as its not necessary to have the same auto response in my opinion.

I am guilty of all those bad habits but, I am trying to change all that. I am down to 2 CC guns and still selling others that don't fit the idea of becoming as well trained as I can to make my response an auto response. One CC gun and one open carried woods gun is my goal and both carried in the same position on my belt. Many believe they can have a thinking response and do just as well but, I call BS on that. You may get lucky but, I don't want luck to be a factor I count on.
All great comments. The old adage holds true: We fight like we train. In aviation, it's considered a very ill-advised approach to train on multiple aircraft during the same training period. Different switches in different positions, not to mention different "bold face" emergency procedures can lead to disastrous results in an emergency.

A firearm is simpler than an airplane, to be sure, but clearing misfire, hangfire, misfeed, jam, or other malfunction is not the same across all models. Furthermore, carrying at apparently arbitrarily chosen locations can result in an adrenaline-fueled reaction whereby you reach for your firearm and it's simply not there. You can even pat around your usual carry points and totally miss your firearm because adrenaline greatly dulls many physical senses while slowing time and giving you strength.

It's better to train like you intended to fight. Pick your primary fighting gun and carry it in the same position. If you have a need for OC vs CC and for some reason those can't be the same position, then limit yourself to two positions.

KISS: There's a reason this acronym exists, and like most boldface EP checklist items, those reasons are written in blood.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Carry one gun, carry it the same place, practice, practice, practice. I've never been comfortable with the phrase "carry rotation". When the stress is on, you response should automatic. You should not have to think about which gun, where to draw it from, etc. It should be second nature. The imperfect G19 or the M&P M2.0 Compact can be carried in the same place, with a tucked shirt or untucked shirt, without any noticeable printing. Most people have their nose in their phones and could not tell you if the guy that just held up the store they were in was Black, Hispanic, Asian or Caucasian. You really think they will notice the ridge of a gun butt in a shirt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to conceal carry a Springfield Armory XD-E 9mm 3.3 inch barrel that normally carries 8+1 in the chamber and 9+1 with the extended magazine. At 26oz while I was quite happy with this as an EDC for 18 months, I have recently transitioned to Sig p365 XL that weighs 20oz has a 3.7 inch barrel and carries 12+1 flush look at the comparison from the tear in this photo. I did put a hogue grip to it, but I couldn’t be happier with this Sig with its Tritium night sights and flat trigger out of the box accuracy with minimal muzzle flip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Avoiding printing is a matter of four things:
1. Thin
2. Small
3. Rounded edges
4. Contrast

The fourth only applies to materials that are not fully opaque.

Additional considerations:

Thick, opaque cover materials conceal better than thin, wispy materials. This not only applies to the shirt or jacket, but also the holster. If your holster is a perfect mold and shape of your firearm, that's what prints. If it's a smooth, discreet shape with gentle curves, it will do a better job. Same goes for a decent leather jacket.

Keeping these facts in mind, you can conceal pretty much any handgun, provided it's not too large. So far as carry goes, however, I prefer misdirection in conjunction with concealment.

Unless, of course, I'm OCing, which requires an significantly different approach.
The way idiots are running rapid, with certain Democratic Officials actually condoning and promoting the violence lately, I am thinking it would be nice to OC a Sig MCX Rattler :image035:
But thanks for outlining the criteria... I have yet to go CC, but modern society is really driving me closer to that decision. As such, I appreciate the CC community here as they give me more confidence toward going CC.
By the way, with what you said, it makes me laugh because I have seen several ads and posts about CC with advanced optics that seem counter-intuitive to the concept.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Good luck with your search, OP. While I prefer the 365XL in a Vedder Light Tuck, the ultimate decision must be tempered with your ability to suitably conceal on your body and your comfort and accuracy in shooting the weapon you carry. I didn't arrive at that combination overnight, but over years of carry experience. Sometimes it just takes a lot of experimentation - it's worth the effort to get what truly works for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 26 all the way, I have a G26 and G27, they are awesome for their small size and ability to use the higher capacity magazines of the larger frames.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I quite buying sub-compacts years ago... I can carry a G19 sized gun just fine, and anything smaller sucks to shoot so it won't get practiced with.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts